so can we talk about how bad uconn's offense is? | Syracusefan.com

so can we talk about how bad uconn's offense is?

Millhouse

Living Legend
i feel like we all might steer clear of it because who wants to talk about deleone any more?

which i get - to a point. but relative to the rest of their current college football peers, their offense is grobian. they're so bad i feel like i have to talk about it

Last 2 years, they've cracked 400 yards 3 times. Fordham and W Mich (twice)

i feel like we all might steer clear of it because who wants to talk about deleone any more?

which i get - to a point. but relative to the rest of their current college football peers, their offense is grobian. they're so bad i feel like i have to talk about it

P's loyalty to D will be his downfall again.

They are pretty bad across the board on O, but I thought their o-line was putrid. There's a lot of heat on P and D as P placed D in charge of OL this year, and they have appeared to gotten even worse.

Do you think it's talent or scheme?

Do you think it's talent or scheme?
i dunno. it's not like they were any good on offense for edsall, especially bad his last year.

their qb could go to the fitzmagic school of accuracy and actually benefit. but you have to wonder if these guys just can't teach qbs anything anymore.

They are pretty bad across the board on O, but I thought their o-line was putrid. There's a lot of heat on P and D as P placed D in charge of OL this year, and they have appeared to gotten even worse.

this is the first time maybe ever against a peer program that i saw a view of their OL and our DL lined up on the first play and thought "whoa, we just look bigger than these guys." The looks test didn't lie and we manhandled them.

True, but that QB was pretty atrocious as well. I mean, he wound up with OK numbers but his completion percentage was around 56% and he missed at least a handful of open receivers. Even the game play was "we're not going to let you run it, let's see if your QB can beat us" and there was no doubt from the first quarter on that UConn was going to have trouble getting in the end zone.

i dunno. it's not like they were any good on offense for edsall, especially bad his last year.

their qb could go to the fitzmagic school of accuracy and actually benefit. but you have to wonder if these guys just can't teach qbs anything anymore.

True. The UConn offense under Edsall was arguably worse than it is now.

After starting the the 2010 season 0-2 in the BE and 3-4overall, the Huskies went 4-1 to end the season.

During that five game stretch they scored a total of nine TDs.

In the final two games - versus So. Florida and Oklahoma they did not score an offensive TD.

During the final five games that year they had offensive totals of 278, 349, 254, 232 and 335 with rushing totals of 112, 249, 156, 236, 120 and 112 and passing totals of 166, 100, 98, 121, 112 and 223. (against the Orange the Whitmar QB passed for nearly 300 yards)

Most important, during that stretch they had two TDs by INT and two TDs by KO return - at crucial moments - especially against South Florida - a game they had no business winning. They pulled a bunch of rabbits out of their hats that year - they couldn't move the ball to any degree - even with a very good RB - Jordan Todman.

And when Pasqualoni got there Todman was gone and so were their two top QBs.

There is a reason why Edsall left when he did - there was little left in the cupboard - the trip to the Fiesta Bowl was a fluke and there were tough times ahead - Edsall got out and took a job that I'm sure was not the one he wanted because he knew that his stock would never again be that high.

Last year they had some OL talent - this year they do not. Last year that had no QB - this years they still do not have a QB who can cover for the weak OL.

There is a reason why Edsall left when he did - there was little left in the cupboard - the trip to the Fiesta Bowl was a fluke and there were tough times ahead - Edsall got out and took a job that I'm sure was not the one he wanted because he knew that his stock would never again be that high.

Last year they had some OL talent - this year they do not. Last year that had no QB - this years they still do not have a QB who can cover for the weak OL.

Your post is excellent right up until this point. I agree, Edsall's offenses weren't real exciting his last few years and it's hard to pin offensive struggles solely on P and D.

That said, however, you can't write off a BCS trip as a fluke if you don't at least point out that Edsall had put together really, really competitive teams for several seasons prior and had produced a pretty good amount of NFL talent in that time. And, of course, left them with some really good talent on the defensive side of the ball.

I won't get into who to blame here b/c that's an unwinable argument with you, but to suggest that Edsall didn't have that program in a solid spot when he left is crazy, IMO.

After starting the the 2010 season 0-2 in the BE and 3-4overall, the Huskies went 4-1 to end the season.

In the final two games - versus So. Florida and Oklahoma they did not score an offensive TD.

During the final five games that year they had offensive totals of 278, 349, 254, 232 and 335 with rushing totals of 112, 249, 156, 236, 120 and 112 and passing totals of 166, 100, 98, 121, 112 and 223. (against the Orange the Whitmar QB passed for nearly 300 yards)

Most important, during that stretch they had two TDs by INT and two TDs by KO return - at crucial moments - especially against South Florida - a game they had no business winning. They pulled a bunch of rabbits out of their hats that year - they couldn't move the ball to any degree - even with a very good RB - Jordan Todman.

it's a funny coincidence how similar the circumstances are to grob (P is much better, goes without saying - everyone is)

we were badly outscored and outgained in 2004. lost a lot (WR especially). from a yardage and scoring perspective, it was smoke and mirrors that go us to 6 wins

it's not as simple as "He inherited a BCS team!" - that's unfair to p. lots of people railed on robinson for taking a Champs Bowl team and taking them into the gutter.

their offense is so bad, when it's that bad, you can blame anything and everything and its probably right.

P's loyalty to D will be his downfall again.

I don't know how this plays out but it is funny to me that P still refuses to let anyone else bring a fresh set of eyes to his offense. Why not let D focus on the OL, where he very clearly knows his s---, and try something different on offense? I don't know, I just never understood the logic there.

Most of the Yukon fans are placing the horrendous OL play at the feet of D. Apparently he changed blocking schemes this year and, obviously, it hasn't worked.

Most of the Yukon fans are placing the horrendous OL play at the feet of D. Apparently he changed blocking schemes this year and, obviously, it hasn't worked.
it should be noted that most of the yukon fans are idiots.

they might happen to be right though

I don't know how this plays out but it is funny to me that P still refuses to let anyone else bring a fresh set of eyes to his offense. Why not let D focus on the OL, where he very clearly knows his s---, and try something different on offense? I don't know, I just never understood the logic there.

No new ideas?

Last year the Huskies ran two QBs with a lot of wildcat - the offense that DeLeone helped incorporate into NFL play while with the Dolphins.

This year the Huskies are running more of a New England offense with shotgun and use of multiple big, athletic TEs - I thought that No. 94 was impressive Friday night.

Once again, it's not scheme - it's talent. The Huskies just are not good enough at OL and QB to come from behind in games like the one we saw on Friday night. And that's a carry over from Edsall's 2010 team.

We are better this year on offense because we are physically better at OL, better at WR and probably better overall at RB.

Last year the Huskies ran two QBs with a lot of wildcat - the offense that DeLeone helped incorporate into NFL play while with the Dolphins.

This year the Huskies are running more of a New England offense with shotgun and use of multiple big, athletic TEs - I thought that No. 94 was impressive Friday night.

Once again, it's not scheme - it's talent. The Huskies just are not good enough at OL and QB to come from behind in games like the one we saw on Friday night. And that's a carry over from Edsall's 2010 team.

OK, but their offense basically blew last year and more or less blows this year. D's last couple offenses on the Hill were, eh OK at least relative to the suckitude that followed with Pariani and co.

But my point is this -- I'm not calling D a bad football coach or past his prime or whatever. I'm merely suggesting that it probably wouldn't hurt to bring in an OC and let D handle the OL. I mean, I know you'll go to the grave defending him, but it's not like his offenses have been lighting the world on fire. I admit, that personnel didn't look to pretty but I just feel like it couldn't hurt to get an outside perspective.

I wondered that after Kevin Rogers left.

Biggest problem was their OL. Completely overmatched. I thought the QB did a decent job, especially in the first half, given that he knew he was going to be hit on each throw.

Not sure if it's because our DL is so good, or their OL is so bad, or some combo of the two. But given how we completely outplayed the Rutgers OL and the Pitt OL, I like the theme.

They're Pariani bad. Stony Brook > UConn.
You are speaking of that which should never be spoken of. I seriously forgot about BP. Just the mention of his name and that first year offense after P makes me want to throw up a little in my mouth.

This game however did show me something that many of you have been saying for years. Some days I agreed, some days I didn't. However from this moment on, I will never EVER say that I think P should still be our coach, that P is better than DM, or that P got a raw deal. I think we botched his firing and the timing but that's all I'll ever say about it again. It really felt amazing to be a fan on the other side of a P debacle and for one brief moment during the 4th quarter I felt bad for the UCONN fans remembering the Purdues, GTs, etc.

P was left in the same spot he left SU. Maybe it is karma.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom