So, Coach Cal lost... | Syracusefan.com

So, Coach Cal lost...

I am assuming this was a recruiting ploy to wrap up Barrett for UK. (Is he committed someplace already?)
Also - when I read this, I can't help but think that Diallo is this decade's Paul Harris.

He isn't a terrible coach. His teams play with fire. Whether it was at UMass, Memphis or Kentucky.
His in game coaching isn't great.
He is great at recruiting and motivating talent. That is more important than in game coaching because if you can get great talent they can cover up your mistakes. However if you watched that USA Canada game you would see how his stubbornness and inability to make changes hurt the USA basketball team.
They were getting shredded in pick and rolls and man to man defense. He made no changes at all bad kept players in longer than he should have.
Then when they lost he refused to talk to the media.

He is great at recruiting and motivating talent. That is more important than in game coaching because if you can get great talent they can cover up your mistakes. However if you watched that USA Canada game you would see how his stubbornness and inability to make changes hurt the USA basketball team.
They were getting shredded in pick and rolls and man to man defense. He made no changes at all bad kept players in longer than he should have.
First, that is one game with a exhibition team. Second, I didn't say he was a great guy. He isn't. But his teams play harder than any other team I have ever seen. I saw his UMass team beat us in Hawaii in '95 and it was their in your pants defense. All great recruiters face the he is a great recruiter but not a great bench coach mantra. The guy can coach.

First, that is one game with a exhibition team. Second, I didn't say he was a great guy. He isn't. But his teams play harder than any other team I have ever seen. I saw his UMass team beat us in Hawaii in '95 and it was their in your pants defense. All great recruiters face the he is a great recruiter but not a great bench coach mantra. The guy can coach.
He is an all time coach. I think the guy is obsessed with doing it his way whereas a guy like Coach K will adapt to whatever is needed. Coach K implemented JB's two three zone and if you listen to Calipari he even admitted that he needs to learn to play sime zone and to not just be reliant on the tight man-to-man defense and the dribble drive offense he need to be more diversified in his coaching.

Cal took over a team that went 10-17 the year prior and in year two had them in the postseason for the first time in sixteen years. In year four he had them in the NCAA for the first time in thirty years and their first tourney win...ever.

I am assuming this was a recruiting ploy to wrap up Barrett for UK. (Is he committed someplace already?)
Also - when I read this, I can't help but think that Diallo is this decade's Paul Harris.

He's a strong Duke lean.

Cal's team was not prepared to play and Canada ran them off of the floor. This was without their best players. First loss for USA Basketball since 2011. He has to own it. A bronze medal is unacceptable.

Cal may have been trying to show his hot shot recruits that maybe they still need to learn a few things.

He isn't a terrible coach. His teams play with fire. Whether it was at UMass, Memphis or Kentucky.
I agree he isn't terrible but he isn't a great in game coach or teacher. I think he is really good at recruiting, coaching defense and teaching kids to play really hard. When it comes to end game situations and in game adjustments I think he behind most of the top coaches by a good amount.

UK improved quite a bit this year when he had them focusing on defense and coached them up on that end. I think he's fine in game and probably a little underrated in that aspect of the game. He's not Izzo or anything in that department. At least that's what Bilas, Fran, etc., keep saying publicly. Of course we all know better here. Motivator and energy guy few if any are better. Buzz and Frank Martin are probably up there too.

Last edited:
UK improved quite a bit this year when he had them focusing on defense and coached them up on that end. I think he's fine in game and probably a little underrated in that aspect of the game. He's not Izzo or anything in that department. At least that's what Bilas, Fran, etc., keep saying publicly. Of course we all know better here. Motivator and energy guy few if any are better. Buzz and Frank Martin are probably up there too.
When you have 2 lottery picks as your backcourt it isn't hard for them to improve as they play more.
Kentucky played in an inferior league as well.
Calipari is a great coach who is going to the HOF. With that said his in game isn't a strength.

It doesn't need to be for 95% of his games as he is coaching the more talented team but he is like Eric Spoelstra. He can coach but he is a great communicator but not a great Xs and Os guy.

If JB had Calipari's talent I am sure he would do well as well and he coaches like a pro.
Calipari connects with his players but his coaching in game can improve if he would mix in a little zone or tweeked his attacking.

the contortionist Cal defenders here are funny... however you want to put it, for whatever reasons or whichever type of rationalization - his USA team had an inexcusable loss and that falls squarely on his shoulders --> year after year after year he underachieves with the talent he gets to pick and choose from

oh yeah, and he's the scum of the scum to boot

but yay Cal

Making a strong case for the Knicks' leadership vacancy.

Making a strong case for the Knicks' leadership vacancy.
The way that organization is run, it's a perfect match. After Melo leaves, I won't care anymore.

I have said this before, and while we have had some recent success in Canada (Ennis, Joseph, Rautins, Brisett), we really need to step up the recruiting game in Toronto. In terms of major programs, Syracuse is the closest to Toronto.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom