So, did MD just kill itself | Syracusefan.com

So, did MD just kill itself

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
in bball recruiting. I find it hard to believe top Atlantic seaboard kids are going to want to play Big Gazillion basketball.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

This was a move I just don't really understand. Obviously money is a major reason, but with Pitt and SU coming in it gave them two relatively close proximity teams and the soon to be best basketball conference in the country. Maryland vs Minnesota on a yearly basis? Weird. Suppose this means UCONN to the ACC is kinda inevitable.

in bball recruiting. I find it hard to believe top Atlantic seaboard kids are going to want to play Big Gazillion basketball.

Id have to think it hurts. No big time player wants to play in 36-34 nailbitters that that conference produces. I think th ACC has an oppurtunity to become a stronger conference.

Anyone know the difference in revenue between acc and big 10?

Big 10 gets a LOT more money because of their Big 10 network.

Once again, it's the $$$$$

Right now the big 10 divides 284 million btw 12 schools. I find it very hard to believe maryland and buttgers adds that much more value. Well see

I would think MD and Rutgers brings down the payout for everyone.

I think MD will struggle in both bball and fball for ever in the BIG

It's all about TV sets for the Big Ten Network, right? Maryland and New Jersey offer lots of them. It isn't about how good Maryland and Rutgers are in athletics, it is about expanding into new TV markets, and they have succeeded. They have diluted the product, it is truly a shame that college athletics is coming to this, but it is reality.

Pay more attention to actual statistics, not projections. Remember, that $30-35 million is a calculated estimate based on media market assumptions. These studies' assumptions seem to always overvalue these two teams' market draw, especially Rutgirls. People need to actually watch the network to give them any additional revenue.

Also note that that projection doesn't include how many existing viewers are less likely to watch games between & discussions regarding two new teams they don't care anything about. Like you said, it becomes a "diluted product".

Pay more attention to actual statistics, not projections. Remember, that $30-35 million is a calculated estimate based on media market assumptions. These studies' assumptions seem to always overvalue these two teams' market draw, especially Rutgirls. People need to actually watch the network to give them any additional revenue.
Do they have to watch the network, or are they counting on the cable companies to blindly add the Big Ten Network to their programming and hoping nobody raises a fuss about the added charge?

Do they have to watch the network, or are they counting on the cable companies to blindly add the Big Ten Network to their programming and hoping nobody raises a fuss about the added charge?
Fair point, but I'm sure the cable companies would also remove any existing networks showing whatever the Big10 Network would carry. Ultimately though it does come down to #viewers.

The latter. But, I am a MD cable subscriber who will make a fuss. But, maybe I won't be in the ACC blackout region anymore. There is that.

I already get the Big 10 Network (all four channels) on FIOS here in MD, not that I ever watch it. Of course, it's part of the "Extreme HD" package.

I don't think the burning question is why Md would want all that lucre. It's why would the B1G be more interested in Md. than Rutgers?

At least Rutgers would deliver a sliver of the NYC market.

Only if they're big, slow, white, can't jump, and enjoy lumbering up and down the court.

Right now the big 10 divides 284 million btw 12 schools. I find it very hard to believe maryland and buttgers adds that much more value. Well see

They don't. But their number of TV's do.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Ummm. As basketball fans we think its all about basketball and recruiting and wins and losses. Now for the really shocking news. It ain't!!

Its about $$$$$$. Its about football. Its about $$$$$$. Its about exposure. Its about $$$$$. Bottom line ... its about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Ummm. As basketball fans we think its all about basketball and recruiting and wins and losses. Now for the really shocking news. It ain't!!

Its about $$$$$$. Its about football. Its about $$$$$$. Its about exposure. Its about $$$$$. Bottom line ... its about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
For UM I think its ONLY about money in this case. I think this hurts them in every sport ON the field. But they'll be able to cry all the way to the bank.

The money each school gets from conference TV deals helps offset the cost of the Title IX sports. These in the red sports such as soccer, lacrosse, baseball, volleyball and other sports beyond football and in some cases basketball need facilities, coaches, scholarships and travel and have a significant cost. They eat dramatically into the athletics budget at the expense of money generating sports. So a move to the BIG X helps offset these costs, which in the end allow a school to be more competitive in all sports including money generating sports. UofM ranks in the top 30 of Sears Cup, while SU ranks around 50. SU is at a disadvantage because it is a relatively small private institution with a billion dolar endowment. For comparison, Duke has a 4-5 billion dolar endowment. Stanford has a significanlty larger endowment and can afford to compete well in all sports thus ranks near the top of the Sears Cup each year. So, yep it is about money, which in turn feeds the need to be competitive in all sports which benefits the money generating sports, and ultimately attracts a better qualified student body. Just my unsupported thesis for the day.

I think they will be disappointed in the $$$$$$$$$$ once the reality of their situation begins to playout. If there is any school that I would love to see destroed it would be Rutgers..

It's not about the amount of TV sets in the state that they're getting. B1G Network is already on the first additional tier besides basic for NYC/NJ, and I assume MD. The issue is carriage fee. Having a school in your state in the B1G increases that state's carriage rate another two dollars.

Still though, adding both will likely dilute the payouts more than anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom