So does that count as a tourny win? | Syracusefan.com

So does that count as a tourny win?

SUOrangeSU

All Conference
Live in Phoenix and have been getting THE HATE thrown at me since last night lol

But I was thinking...did that count as a tournament win or anything after counts? Not sure of the "official" rules lol

It counts. The issue came up this year when, for the first time, both conference champions from historically black conferences were put in the play-in games. Traditionally, one would go in the main draw as a #16 seed and the other would go into the play-in game. This year they both were put into the play-in game, but against each other. The effect was that one would be guaranteed a win and would get about $1.5 million in NCAA credits for their conference by winning a tournament game.

It counts. The issue came up this year when, for he first time, both conference champions from historically black conferences were put in the play-in games. Traditionally, one would go in the main draw as a #16 seed and the other would go into the play-in game. This year they both were put into the play-in game, but against each other. The effect was that one would be guaranteed a win and would get about $1.5 million in NCAA credits for their conference by winning a tournament game.

I don't think they should put the 16 seeds in those games, but thats my opinion. Put 4 more at larges in the games. Make them earn it if they have questions.

I don't think they should put the 16 seeds in those games, but thats my opinion. Put 4 more at larges in the games. Make them earn it if they have questions.
Agreed. It also feels cheap when a team like Radford can say they won an NCAA Tournament Game...really tho?

I don't want to be anti-little guy but that just isn't entirely true.

Yeah. The 16 seeds who won their conference routines earned their way into the field of 64. The 20-12 major conference teams are the ones who should be playing in.
I don't disagree with you. But if you had seen the celebration by the Texas Southern players last night you might change your mind. Make no mistake, the atmosphere at the First Four in Dayton meets or exceeds the atmosphere you'll find at any of the 1st & 2nd round round sites. This way 2 teams gets to enjoy that euphoria and still get to play against a top seed and they get to claim an NCAA tournament win! I think that's better than every one of them getting to be nothing but a lamb to the slaughter. I can't say enough about UD Arena and the Dayton fans that sold this event out before the tournament not knowing who would be there except for 4 16 seeds and 4 11 seeds. Kudos to them! I'm not usually very complimentary about the city of Dayton but they deserve it. Not surprisingly SU shirts outnumbered all other schools by a wide margin. Interestingly I would say the next most prevalent were University of Cincinnati shirts followed by Dayton and Ohio State. My Bearcat alum wife and future Bearcat son were both rocking the orange and blue though!

Agreed. It also feels cheap when a team like Radford can say they won an NCAA Tournament Game...really tho?

I don't want to be anti-little guy but that just isn't entirely true.
And you also have to look at it from LIU-Brooklyn's perspective. Their tourney experience was playing another 16 seed? They've earned the right to play (and most likely get blown out by) a big dog.

I don't disagree with you. But if you had seen the celebration by the Texas Southern players last night you might change your mind. Make no mistake, the atmosphere at the First Four in Dayton meets or exceeds the atmosphere you'll find at any of the 1st & 2nd round round sites. This way 2 teams gets to enjoy that euphoria and still get to play against a top seed and they get to claim an NCAA tournament win! I think that's better than every one of them getting to be nothing but a lamb to the slaughter. I can't say enough about UD Arena and the Dayton fans that sold this event out before the tournament not knowing who would be there except for 4 16 seeds and 4 11 seeds. Kudos to them! I'm not usually very complimentary about the city of Dayton but they deserve it. Not surprisingly SU shirts outnumbered all other schools by a wide margin. Interestingly I would say the next most prevalent were University of Cincinnati shirts followed by Dayton and Ohio State. My Bearcat alum wife and future Bearcat son were both rocking the orange and blue though!

I see what your saying. I feel like it’s just a glorified conference tournament if it’s just 16 vs 16 though. A lot of these low major teams otherwise don’t get their shot at a Kansas or Duke unless they get their auto bid.

But I’m not a player so take it FWIW.

Yes, it is actually a “First Round” win...

...JB’s first “first round” win in over 8 years ;)

I think they got rid of that, right? Changed it to opening round or something.

It's pretty complicated. Given the unique position of the play in game, for RPI purposes it only counts as .8 victories.

However, it is played on a neutral court, which is .4 victories, so it counts at 1.2 victories.

But only a true fool would forget to account for the little known tournament rule that all victories against a matching seed lose .2 victories in value. Since we were both 11 seeds, whichever team won was going to be subject to the rule.

So, to recap: .8 + .4 - .2 = 1

You're welcome.

But they sure know how to cry.
In defense of the ASU fans I saw at the game last night I didn't see any of them crying. In fact I was very surprised at the number of ASU shirts I saw after the game because you sure didn't hear them during the game.