So Duke wasn't going to play? | Syracusefan.com

So Duke wasn't going to play?

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
I am confused - Duke's cutting off sports meant their hoop team wasn't playing in the ACC Tournament and that spurred on the cancellation?

I am confused - Duke's cutting off sports meant their hoop team wasn't playing in the ACC Tournament and that spurred on the cancellation?
Reading between the lines, Swofford talked with all the ACC presidents and ADs Wednesday night and Thursday morning, and there was a consensus agreement to continue to play the ACCT.

Duke then went rogue and announced they were cancelling sports for the spring semester. The ACC would have a major PR issue if they decided to go forward without Duke. I suspect all of them talked about the need to be united on this, all agreed to go forward and Duke, for whatever reason, changed its mind extremely late in the process. It made the ACC and Swofford look bad and I bet all the other ACC schools are unhappy with Duke's behavior.

I think the same thing happened with the other sports. It made little sense to go forward as a conference if one member was not going to participate. Imagine the headlines if some athletes or fans got the virus and died, or even nearly died, where one conference member pulled out and the others did not.

I am not saying it was the wrong decision for Duke to end all spring sports so abruptly. It was probably the right thing to do. But I am pretty sure they had to be on board with the decision to forge ahead with the ACCT only hours before.

Their last second pull out made the conference look bad. They were not a good partner here.

Last edited:
Reading between the lines, Swofford talked with all the ACC presidents and ADs Wednesday night and Thursday morning, and there was a consensus agreement to continue to play the ACCT.

Duke then went rogue and announced they were cancelling sports for the spring semester. The ACC would have a major PR issue if they decided to go forward without Duke. I suspect all of them talked about the need to be united on this, all agreed to go forward and Duke, for whatever reason, changed its mind extremely late in the process. It made the ACC and Swofford look bad and I bet all the other ACC schools are unhappy with Duke's behavior.

I think the same thing happened with the other sports. It made little sense to go forward as a conference if one member was not going to participate. Imagine the headlines if some athletes or fans got the virus and died, or even nearly died, where one conference member pulled out and the others did not.

I am not saying it was the wrong decision for Duke to end all spring sports so abruptly. It was probably the right thing to do. But I am pretty sure they had to be on board with the decision to forge ahead with the ACCT only hours before.
Their last second pull out made the conference look bad. They were not a good partner here.
Swofford looking not so good in this whole mess. Back story has to be interesting.

The president of Duke University made the decision over the AD, Kevin White. Duke University hospital and medical services in the triangle is a big deal. I'm sure the University president was talking with the higher ups involved in medicine and was advised best to be safe.

NC State apparently as well. The Duke thing makes sense with their outsized medical profile in NC.

you cant be the only conference to play... bad look. so who cares

Way beyond “bad look” and into “HUGE liability” territory.

Even even 1 person got sick and died due to attending/participating in the non-cancelled ACCT, when everybody else cancelled -
the lawsuits would have been staggering.

Nobody is questioning the cancellation merely discussing the process on who steered the conference during the decision.

Was it Duke going rogue on the decision or the timing of the announcement? And Kansas made the same announcement. At least that is what I saw. First article said Duke and Kansas cancel athletics for the rest of the semester then both conferences canceled their tournaments.

ACCT was still a go after B1G and SEC shut down. I thing that was a bigger factor than Duke announcement.

Way beyond “bad look” and into “HUGE liability” territory.

Even even 1 person got sick and died due to attending/participating in the non-cancelled ACCT, when everybody else cancelled -
the lawsuits would have been staggering.

Really? If you get pneumonia at the ski lodge can you sue them for not closing? There are risks to being a living human. Your family can’t sue the hospital you were born in when you eventually die. Or I don’t know, maybe they can.

I have a different opinion which could be wrong but...

Because of the rapid fire cancellations and the BE game getting to halftime (they got the memo too late) then the NCAA making their announcement later that afternoon, I think the NCAA made a recommendation late morning to the conferences to shut it down. It wasn’t just the ACC who said early morning they were playing, many of them did. Rothstein tweeted about the ACC but he also tweeted about several other conferences. 9am they are all playing. 12 noon they aren’t. Only thing imo that happened in those 3 hours is a memo from the NCAA. 4 hours later the NCAA shuts down the tournament.

Your family can’t sue the hospital you were born in when you eventually die. Or I don’t know, maybe they can.

Well for certain posters not just their families, we'd probably be looking at class action lawsuits ;)

All of these decisions should have come from the Federal level. That's where the expertise lies for this type of decision. Of course that's assuming those in power use that expertise.

All of these decisions should have come from the Federal level. That's where the expertise lies for this type of decision. Of course that's assuming those in power use that expertise.
Assuming they were not fired or cut from the budget

I have a different opinion which could be wrong but...

Because of the rapid fire cancellations and the BE game getting to halftime (they got the memo too late) then the NCAA making their announcement later that afternoon, I think the NCAA made a recommendation late morning to the conferences to shut it down. It wasn’t just the ACC who said early morning they were playing, many of them did. Rothstein tweeted about the ACC but he also tweeted about several other conferences. 9am they are all playing. 12 noon they aren’t. Only thing imo that happened in those 3 hours is a memo from the NCAA. 4 hours later the NCAA shuts down the tournament.
I think that makes sense which makes me doubt it and I think the NCAA would have leaked it so they could look like a leader.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom