So far this year JAB>Larranaga, Stallings, Christian, Manning and Hamilton. | Syracusefan.com

So far this year JAB>Larranaga, Stallings, Christian, Manning and Hamilton.

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
Would love to see him beat Gottfried and Bennett this week for #1000. I've said it before but as good as the ACC is in basketball, a lot of the coaches are just meh. I'll give props to Coach K, Roy and Pitino and I like Buzz but even he and Brey haven't done anything yet. Brey has been to two straight elite eights but this year will be a stretch to get there again and besides that his post season record is terrible.

Would love to see him beat Gottfried and Bennett this week for #1000. I've said it before but as good as the ACC is in basketball, a lot of the coaches are just meh. I'll give props to Coach K, Roy and Pitino and I like Buzz but even he and Brey haven't done anything yet. Brey has been to two straight elite eights but this year will be a stretch to get there again and besides that his post season record is terrible.

Another reason I think we have a shot, even though it will be tough on the road, is I don't think Mark Gottfried is exactly a master tactician on the sideline

Another reason I think we have a shot, even though it will be tough on the road, is I don't think Mark Gottfried is exactly a master tactician on the sideline
Yep. NC State has been similar to us in that they're very Jekeyll and Hyde. If Henderson/Rowan make 3s, Abu is active on the glass and DSJ can penetrate, we're probably done. If those things don't happen, I'm not sure Gottfried will be able to adjust

I think the ACC has many great coaches... some duds. But Larranaga, Buzz, Bennett, Brey are all great coaches whether they have made final fours. Situation has to be considered in evaluating these coaches.

I think the ACC has many great coaches... some duds. But Larranaga, Buzz, Bennett, Brey are all great coaches whether they have made final fours. Situation has to be considered in evaluating these coaches.

Agree; Boeheim's also a very good coach and he just matches up well against a number of those guys. Leonard Hamilton, Brey, Roy, among others.

Larranaga, not so much. I still think that's our most impressive win this year.

Nothing personal, but I think the term "great" is used too often. Would you consider any of them slam dunk HOF'ers?
I do think Bennett will probably get there. Dude's only 47 and has a laundry list of accomplishments and awards. If he gets at least 1 Final Four I think he'll get in. He probably has 20 years left.

I do think Bennett will probably get there. Dude's only 47 and has a laundry list of accomplishments and awards. If he gets at least 1 Final Four I think he'll get in. He probably has 20 years left.
He's 47 but this is only his 11th season as a head coach. Prior to this year he had 234 wins. If he averages 25 a year in the next 20 years that will put him at 734 wins. Put that into perspective what JAB has done. FYI, Sean Miller at age 48 is in his 13th season as head coach and had 308 wins going into this year.

Nothing personal, but I think the term "great" is used too often. Would you consider any of them slam dunk HOF'ers?

I think we have different definitions of great. Perhaps I should use very good.

Often times getting to the hall of fame at time requires you be a good coach and ending up in the right situation, not always creating a great situation (like JB did). Sometimes you can be a great coach and just never get that situation to be a hall of famer.

I think a guy like Larranaga is one of the best coaches in the country in terms of doing the best he can from a situation.

Obviously I'm just speculating, but I bet 15 of those will be spent in the NBA.

we also got rolled by chris mullin, kevin Ollie and JT3. maybe we can stop on the "oh look at our coach" thing. i'm legitimately scared about how bad villanova is going to beat us the next time we play them.

we also got rolled by chris mullin, kevin Ollie and JT3. maybe we can stop on the "oh look at our coach" thing. i'm legitimately scared about how bad villanova is going to beat us the next time we play them.
We got rolled by UConn? They beat us at the buzzer.

Yep. NC State has been similar to us in that they're very Jekeyll and Hyde. If Henderson/Rowan make 3s, Abu is active on the glass and DSJ can penetrate, we're probably done. If those things don't happen, I'm not sure Gottfried will be able to adjust

Gottfried is probably getting fired at the end of the year... i've only seen 4 of their games this year but the pitchforks are out for him and they are atrocious on defense. DSJ is gonna end up costing him his job (besides just being not a very good coach) with the complete lack of flow on offense and zero defense.

NCS is probably our best shot at a road win this year but yes they are very bipolar on offense depending on if Smith is on. They play zero D... even the Duke game they were pretty lucky Duke missed so much and DSJ and Kapita both had their best games.

blowing a double-digit lead to that sorry-ass team is the same as getting rolled. they were 7-11 before winning three in a row against the bottom feeders in their conference, three teams that are a combined 3-25 in the aac. that's what they did to improve their record to 10-11.

blowing a double-digit lead to that sorry-ass team is the same as getting rolled. they were 7-11 before winning three in a row against the bottom feeders in their conference, three teams that are a combined 3-25 in the aac. that's what they did to improve their record to 10-11.
That has nothing to do with the statement that we got rolled being wrong. We didn't get rolled. If UConn lost every game for the rest of the season, and I hope they do, they still didn't roll us. You might also ask yourself just how pathetic this team would be without White and Gillon.

That has nothing to do with the statement that we got rolled being wrong. We didn't get rolled. If UConn lost every game for the rest of the season, and I hope they do, they still didn't roll us. You might also ask yourself just how pathetic this team would be without White and Gillon.
ok fine, we didn't get "rolled" but we got rickrolled by Ollie and their sorry bunch.

as to the scond part, i could ask myself that question. i could also ask myself other questions. how bad could bj Johnson have been? could kaleb joseph have possibly been worse than john gillon? those are questions too. the last question, why am i asking myself questions about a team led by 5th year seniors that probably wont make an ncaa tournament? those are also questions my friend.

ok fine, we didn't get "rolled" but we got rickrolled by Ollie and their sorry bunch.

as to the scond part, i could ask myself that question. i could also ask myself other questions. how bad could bj Johnson have been? could kaleb joseph have possibly been worse than john gillon? those are questions too. the last question, why am i asking myself questions about a team led by 5th year seniors that probably wont make an ncaa tournament? those are also questions my friend.
If you really have to ask yourself those questions, we have nothing to talk about. White and Gillon are a lot better than Johnson and Joseph. The better question is why can't Robey hit a shot outside of 5 feet after 4 years. Why can't Howard bring the ball up without turning it over. The 5th year guys haven't been our problem. It's been our program guys who haven't improved. Oh, and I wouldn't count us out of the tournament just yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is getting rolled when it's this year's UConn team. They are atrocious. They're the worst team we've lost to, and it's not even close.

That is getting rolled when it's this year's UConn team. They are atrocious. They're the worst team we've lost to, and it's not even close.
We have a very different definition on what it means to be rolled.

We have a very different definition on what it means to be rolled.
Was a joke about how bad UConn is. Losing to them is basically like getting rolled by anybody else.

Was a joke about how bad UConn is. Losing to them is basically like getting rolled by anybody else.
Oh, losing to that pile of crap makes me sick . It's just that I have seen us get really rolled by other piles of crap this year.