So, here's what the 76ers have on their roster next season | Syracusefan.com

So, here's what the 76ers have on their roster next season

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Thad Young - $9mm
Jason Richardson - $6mm (player option - he's going to pick that up)
Nerlens Noel - $3mm
MCW - $2mm
Tony Wroten - $1mm
Arnett Moultrie - $1mm
Byron Mullens - $1mm (player option - gotta think he picks that up)

Embiid - rookie deal, probably not going to play until after the season starts if he even plays at all next season
Saric - years away
Grant and McDaniels will have some kind of 2nd round deals

Aaaaaaaand after that you've got a bunch of roster filler on non-guaranteed deals

Not going to lie - Grant's in their rotation next season and probably spot starts.

I'm not saying this as a rationalization, but he probably couldn't have landed in a more favorable situation to make a team as a non-guaranteed second round pick.

Especially if Thaddeus Young is moved.

I'm not saying this as a rationalization, but he probably couldn't have landed in a more favorable situation to make a team as a non-guaranteed second round pick.

Especially if Thaddeus Young is moved.
Pretty much.

Thad Young - $9mm
Jason Richardson - $6mm (player option - he's going to pick that up)
Nerlens Noel - $3mm
MCW - $2mm
Tony Wroten - $1mm
Arnett Moultrie - $1mm
Byron Mullens - $1mm (player option - gotta think he picks that up)

Embiid - rookie deal, probably not going to play until after the season starts if he even plays at all next season
Saric - years away
Grant and McDaniels will have some kind of 2nd round deals

Aaaaaaaand after that you've got a bunch of roster filler on non-guaranteed deals

Not going to lie - Grant's in their rotation next season and probably spot starts.

A lot of free agents to be signed - but on paper he couldn't have asked for a better opportunity, that is for sure.

They just need to sign Fab Melo and James Southerland, looks like a free agent Carmelo Anthony could fit well there as well. :)
Trade for Waiters and the "Cuse Connection" will be complete. th_shaqoohhh.png

What's the better situation?

- getting playing time (hopefully) on a terrible team that doesn't have 1) any apparent urgency to be a winner, 2) any solid veteran role models who know how to be successful in the NBA?
OR
- being one of the last guys on the bench for a really solid team that has veterans who can teach Jerami how to be successful in the NBA?

They just need to sign Fab Melo and James Southerland, looks like a free agent Carmelo Anthony could fit well there as well. :)

And move back to Syracuse and call themselves...hmmm, let's see...the Nationals perhaps?

Wishing Grant well and hopefully he'll get a chance to reach his potential. It does look like a very nice opportunity for him.

What's the better situation?

- getting playing time (hopefully) on a terrible team that doesn't have 1) any apparent urgency to be a winner, 2) any solid veteran role models who know how to be successful in the NBA?
OR
- being one of the last guys on the bench for a really solid team that has veterans who can teach Jerami how to be successful in the NBA?

Great question. And I think the answer is a combination of two factors:

[1] Whether or not you have a guaranteed contract that "buys" you time
[2] The player's level of readiness to be a contributor at the NBA level

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being on a veteran team where you have to learn the ropes from savvy veterans. An inexperienced player like Ennis [just for example] will benefit long term from going to a team with a proven backcourt, IMO, versus being thrown to the wolves on a crappy team and expected to start from Day 1. But for a player like Grant, PT might on a bad team might be a ticket to continued employment, if he can showcase his capabilities a bit [although I suppose that can work both ways].

might as well get Melo and Bron then

I actually brought up that scenero in a topic a few days ago. Even with all the young blood, a core of MCW, Bron, and Melo they'd be a favorite in the East. Throw in Noel, and a healthy Embiid they could be a contender. They really do need some outside shooting, nice to see them get their first round pick in a couple of years back from Orlando in the 10 for 12 trade, but they needed to take McDermott in that situation. I understand what they're trying to do in Philly, be a contender or tank, but I can't imagine how long they think it's going to take. They're going to have to hit a home run on every single pick they've made and it could be 3 years before they're any good without picking up a great player like a Love, Melo, Bron. Can't see any big free agent going there right now, from the players standpoint and even from the teams standpoint if they really plan on tanking again.

The Sixers began by taking a whole bunch of Syracuse players. The tradition continues.

I actually brought up that scenero in a topic a few days ago. Even with all the young blood, a core of MCW, Bron, and Melo they'd be a favorite in the East. Throw in Noel, and a healthy Embiid they could be a contender. They really do need some outside shooting, nice to see them get their first round pick in a couple of years back from Orlando in the 10 for 12 trade, but they needed to take McDermott in that situation. I understand what they're trying to do in Philly, be a contender or tank, but I can't imagine how long they think it's going to take. They're going to have to hit a home run on every single pick they've made and it could be 3 years before they're any good without picking up a great player like a Love, Melo, Bron. Can't see any big free agent going there right now, from the players standpoint and even from the teams standpoint if they really plan on tanking again.

As a Sixers fan, i wish they took McBuckets as well. He was a perfect fit... but im fine w one more year of tanking and then luring in a couple big dogs to go with the young core. Could be a fun team in two years.

Sixers are getting DESTROYED for the nonsensical shenanigans they pulled at pick 10 with McDermott sitting there who fits perfectly on that team.

A starting lineup of MCW-Wroten-McDaniels-Noel-Embiid with Grant as sixth man would be a defensive freakshow. Too bad nobody on that team is capable of making a jumpshot.

Sixers are getting DESTROYED for the nonsensical shenanigans they pulled at pick 10 with McDermott sitting there who fits perfectly on that team.

A starting lineup of MCW-Wroten-McDaniels-Noel-Embiid with Grant as sixth man would be a defensive freakshow. Too bad nobody on that team is capable of making a jumpshot.

No way they go into the season with that, considering Embiid probably won't play the first couple of months they're going to have to pick up some veteran fillers. You don't draft Grant and McDaniels that late to be starters and 6th men in the league. They'll probably end up being 10-12th guys on the bench, even on that squad.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what exactly makes McDermott "perfect" for them.

I mean, geez, that squad has MCW, Young and we'll see what they get out of Noel, and that's it. Every player that can do anything is perfect for them.

I thought they made a great move - Saric's who they wanted, and rather than just take him where he was available, they got some additional picks out of it.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what exactly makes McDermott "perfect" for them.

I mean, geez, that squad has MCW, Young and we'll see what they get out of Noel, and that's it. Every player that can do anything is perfect for them.

I thought they made a great move - Saric's who they wanted, and rather than just take him where he was available, they got some additional picks out of it.

It is weird to me how the conventional wisdom on McDermott went from Adam Morrison to star so quickly. I think both were wrong. He's going to be a contributor in the NBA but he's certainly not a guy you build anything around. He's a great pick for a team that needs a guy who can contribute to a second unit for 15-20 minutes on a cheap contract. That's not really the Sixers, who have a lot of cap room and no first team.

And the Sixers got two picks for it! (granted one is a few years off, although 2017 is probably when this Sixers team will be hitting its stride)

It is weird to me how the conventional wisdom on McDermott went from Adam Morrison to star so quickly. I think both were wrong. He's going to be a contributor in the NBA but he's certainly not a guy you build anything around. He's a great pick for a team that needs a guy who can contribute to a second unit for 15-20 minutes on a cheap contract. That's not really the Sixers, who have a lot of cap room and no first team.

And the Sixers got two picks for it! (granted one is a few years off, although 2017 is probably when this Sixers team will be hitting its stride)
Yeah, Sixers are setting up to be a sleeping giant, no doubt.

I'm loving my Sixers today! I wanted to kick the TV when they drafted that Payton guy who led D1 in turnovers, but then they traded him. Phew. I think I woke the house when they called Jerami's name! Stoked!!! Now I just hope they don't screw it up and kill the kid's career.

I really don't care if they lose another season, it will still be fun. Can't wait until Embiid is healthy. That team will rock some rims.

No way they go into the season with that, considering Embiid probably won't play the first couple of months they're going to have to pick up some veteran fillers. You don't draft Grant and McDaniels that late to be starters and 6th men in the league. They'll probably end up being 10-12th guys on the bench, even on that squad.
No way, those guys are def tank commanders who will have a chance to prove their worth. Both McDaniels and Grant will get decent minutes (I think). Aside from MCW-Noel-Young-Embiid, that team is garbage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom