So, here's what the 76ers have on their roster next season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So, here's what the 76ers have on their roster next season

I like what the Sixers are doing. And they need one more lottery year. Otherwise, they'd lose their 2015 first-rounder, who is lottery-protected. Instead, they'll only have to give up a couple of second-rounders.

I grant you that they don't have any guaranteed point scorers, but they could be a pretty damn tough defensive/rebounding team in short order. They're also being built like a Western Conference team.

Jury's still out, but once Embiid is healthy, I'll go up to catch 'em a couple of times this season. At least there will be something worth watching beside MCW.

Last edited:
Unless there was crazy protection on the pick they got, I can't believe they got a first and a second for moving from 10 to 12. Crazy.

I like what the Sixers are doing. And they need one more lottery year. Otherwise, they'd lose their 2015 first-rounder, who is lottery-protected. Instead, they'll only have to give up a couple of second-rounders.

I grant you that they don't have any guaranteed point scorers, but they could be a pretty damn tough defensive/rebounding team in short order. They're also being built like a Western Conference team.

Jury's still out, but once Emblid is healthy, I'll go up to catch 'em a couple of times this season. At least there will be something worth watching beside MCW.

I actually don't like what they are doing. Unless they can mimic the Spurs exactly, one of their pieces has to become a top ten player in the league for them to compete.

So unless they think they can stash enough assets to get a big time FA, they have to hope one of their assets turns into an all NBA type.

They are miles away from being able to compete with anyone in the west. Or, any team in the East with LeBron. Let alone a Chicago or Indy.

I actually don't like what they are doing. Unless they can mimic the Spurs exactly, one of their pieces has to become a top ten player in the league for them to compete.

So unless they think they can stash enough assets to get a big time FA, they have to hope one of their assets turns into an all NBA type.

They are miles away from being able to compete with anyone in the west. Or, any team in the East with LeBron. Let alone a Chicago or Indy.

They're basically taking the tear down method all the way to the extreme, but the best way to get an elite player is to draft one, and you can't say the sixers aren't giving themselves a chance to do it. Will be interesting to see if they use the cap space they have to take in more players and acquire more assets. For instance, if the Bulls don't want to amnesty Boozer, see what they'll give you to take Boozer off their hands.

No way, those guys are def tank commanders who will have a chance to prove their worth. Both McDaniels and Grant will get decent minutes (I think). Aside from MCW-Noel-Young-Embiid, that team is garbage.

I love "tank commander" as much as i love "anti tank missle". MCW. Which is a lot.

What's the better situation?

- getting playing time (hopefully) on a terrible team that doesn't have 1) any apparent urgency to be a winner, 2) any solid veteran role models who know how to be successful in the NBA?
OR
- being one of the last guys on the bench for a really solid team that has veterans who can teach Jerami how to be successful in the NBA?

I say getting playing time on a terrible team. You can get all the advice in the world, learn how to be a classy pro, but until you can actually play none of that matters. Putting up numbers even on a bad team gets guys contracts, being the 12th man anywhere doesn't.

JG actually has a chance to make some noise with this roster. Its probably one of the best landing places for him. A crappy team with no expectation for wins, happy to tank another season, but one with talent and thats on the rise big time (assuming health, obviously).

Grant's best bet is his current weakness. If he can develop 2-3 real finishing moves down low and a consistent 10'+ jumpshot he should get some significant time as a rotation forward. As Embid and Noel miss time or see limited mins, JG's shot at more burn increases, regardless of O.

I actually brought up that scenero in a topic a few days ago. Even with all the young blood, a core of MCW, Bron, and Melo they'd be a favorite in the East. Throw in Noel, and a healthy Embiid they could be a contender. They really do need some outside shooting, nice to see them get their first round pick in a couple of years back from Orlando in the 10 for 12 trade, but they needed to take McDermott in that situation. I understand what they're trying to do in Philly, be a contender or tank, but I can't imagine how long they think it's going to take. They're going to have to hit a home run on every single pick they've made and it could be 3 years before they're any good without picking up a great player like a Love, Melo, Bron. Can't see any big free agent going there right now, from the players standpoint and even from the teams standpoint if they really plan on tanking again.

In all seriousness I could see Bron going to a team built like this...4 years from now. Give that team time to mature and grow, meanwhile Bron gets another 4 legit shots at a title in Miami and then you never know after that if he goes Timmy Duncan and stays in Miami the rest of the way or if he feels 8 years in Miami was enough to cement his legacy and get rid of his hated status and move elsewhere for the last part of his career. Definitely don't want him to leave Miami, but could see it happening after his next contract plays out depending on how things happen.

Thad Young - $9mm
Jason Richardson - $6mm (player option - he's going to pick that up)
Nerlens Noel - $3mm
MCW - $2mm
Tony Wroten - $1mm
Arnett Moultrie - $1mm
Byron Mullens - $1mm (player option - gotta think he picks that up)

Embiid - rookie deal, probably not going to play until after the season starts if he even plays at all next season
Saric - years away
Grant and McDaniels will have some kind of 2nd round deals

Aaaaaaaand after that you've got a bunch of roster filler on non-guaranteed deals

Not going to lie - Grant's in their rotation next season and probably spot starts.

The 2014-15 76ers will give a good run towards achieving a 30-game loss streak.

Build for thlong-term future is admirable since it is coming with an investment of awfulness.

What's the better situation?

- getting playing time (hopefully) on a terrible team that doesn't have 1) any apparent urgency to be a winner, 2) any solid veteran role models who know how to be successful in the NBA?
OR
- being one of the last guys on the bench for a really solid team that has veterans who can teach Jerami how to be successful in the NBA?

I personally don't think option 2 was a possibility for grant. Lacks tools to be last guy on the bench for contending club and would be in d league for them.

Great opportunity for Grant to get playing time. But that team is going to get destroyed night in and night out again this upcoming season. They are far too young and not good enough to compete.

Here is another major bonus of being a 76er this year.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q15

The minimum team payroll is $52.8 million this year per CBA expert Larry Coon, which the Sixers are going to have a very hard time of meeting.

Per Coon

"If a team doesn't meet its minimum payroll it is surcharged at the end of the season for the shortfall. That money is distributed among the players on that team."

Grant could get himself an additional payday at year end.

The Sixers began by taking a whole bunch of Syracuse players. The tradition continues.

Noel was recruited by Syracuse. Does that also count?

It is weird to me how the conventional wisdom on McDermott went from Adam Morrison to star so quickly. I think both were wrong. He's going to be a contributor in the NBA but he's certainly not a guy you build anything around. He's a great pick for a team that needs a guy who can contribute to a second unit for 15-20 minutes on a cheap contract. That's not really the Sixers, who have a lot of cap room and no first team.

And the Sixers got two picks for it! (granted one is a few years off, although 2017 is probably when this Sixers team will be hitting its stride)

I think the fact that he can actually shoot the basketball gives him a unique skill set vs the rest of phillys roster.

MELOKEITH post: 1073652 said:
might as well get Melo and Bron then

If they had any In playing together they shouldve opted in for the next year of their contracts and headed to philly together next year.

They just need to sign Fab Melo and James Southerland, looks like a free agent Carmelo Anthony could fit well there as well. :)
I actually think the Sixers would be a good fit for Melo. They could assemble a good lineup around him with their 32.6 mil cap space. They already have one of the NBAs top PGs in MCW.

I actually think the Sixers would be a good fit for Melo. They could assemble a good lineup around him with their 32.6 mil cap space. They already have one of the NBAs top PGs in MCW.

If Grant actually gets any playing time I just might go to see a Sixers game!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom