So... how about that offensive line? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So... how about that offensive line?

They did a very good job against three and four man pressures. They have bigger issues against blitzes, which makes sense.

The one time Villari got “beat” he was doing a good job of guiding his guy to the back of the pocket but Garrett backed out instead of stepping up and Villari lost his advantage.

It takes time to build cohesion, 4 of 5 are new starters, and trust.
I remember that play. My first thought was "not bad for a converted QB."

Lets not forget its Garrett Shrader who makes the OL look good. Just like Eric Dungey did. If Tommy DeVito was behind center for that Purdue game, this thread would look a WHOLE lot different...
Heavy volume of deep patterns, very little quick game. Purdue didn’t have much immediate pressure.

Heavy volume of deep patterns, very little quick game. Purdue didn’t have much immediate pressure.
I think the Purdue game was a good prep for the team for the conference schedule.

They had a big, strong DL, they made stopping the RB a priority, they played press with their corners a ton and in the second half, they even tried a spy on Garrett.

As Go says, we went after their corners a lot and we threw it long a lot.

The Purdue CBs were undersized and they bodied our guys, pulled, then, held them and bumped them a lot. When they got beat, they blantently committed PI to stop TDs.

We are going to see a lot of this in our ACC games. With OG gone, our WRs need to step up and continue to make plays when getting pushed around.

They struggled some, had a few drops and had the ball ripped away a few times but this fact is undeniable: they got open against press coverage consistently. These kids can run and they have really good size.

Even with OG gone, I think teams pressing our WRs are going to have issues. We might actually see some of the better ACC teams opt to zone us most of the time.

Lets not forget its Garrett Shrader who makes the OL look good. Just like Eric Dungey did. If Tommy DeVito was behind center for that Purdue game, this thread would look a WHOLE lot different...
See I seen Garrett had a ton of time.

We just went toe-to-toe with a B1G opponent with a MASSIVE group of players on the D-Line, down two projected starters, and held our own.

Are we perfect? Hell no.

But they did yeoman's work on Saturday.

Special shout out to Mark Petry, who entered preseason camp as an afterthought, but has proven to be a competent, serviceable starter. Which has been really important, given the injuries we've sustained.

Think about that for a second. We have two guys [Ellis / More] who many expected to start that haven't played a single down the entire season, and we lost our starting RT for the year in game two. Those types of injuries might have sunk the entire positional unit in years past, and undermined the rest of the team being above average. But this year, the depth we've built has enabled us to more than weather the storm, but also to continue playing at a high level despite adversity, and power through the injuries.

Lots of work to do. Hope More gets back soon to bolster depth. Would also be a boon if Ellis could return at some point. But I'm proud of what the OL has done so far, under less than beneficial circumstances.
Completely agree and I think Coach Farmer deserves some recognition as well.

He had 3.28 secs to throw. More than he had vs Colgate 2.67 and WMU 2.63.

Good to know. That reinforces what I thought live that he mostly had time to throw.

What is a good college time to throw rating - 4 seconds ? Wonder where the top 10 is on average.

Good to know. That reinforces what I thought live that he mostly had time to throw.

What is a good college time to throw rating - 4 seconds ? Wonder where the top 10 is on average.

You want to be about 3.0. Shrader is at 2.9 for the season which is in the middle of the pack in the ACC.

He had 3.28 secs to throw. More than he had vs Colgate 2.67 and WMU 2.63.
Is this an average of time from snap to releasing the ball or scrambling?

Even with OG gone, I think teams pressing our WRs are going to have issues. We might actually see some of the better ACC teams opt to zone us most of the time.
Not to mention zone makes it easier to react to GS scrambling.

Is this an average of time from snap to releasing the ball or scrambling?

Average time to throw on all drop backs.

Average time to throw on all drop backs.
Do you know what if the QB scrambles outside the pocket and then makes a throw? Is that total time considered time to throw because if so that doesn't so representative of time to throw.

What if the QB doesn't throw it at scrambles for a run?

Just wonder how that is figured.

Do you know what if the QB scrambles outside the pocket and then makes a throw? Is that total time considered time to throw because if so that doesn't so representative of time to throw.

What if the QB doesn't throw it at scrambles for a run?

Just wonder how that is figured.

Don’t know for sure but since they mention drop backs I assume scrambling outside would not figure in. Hell, Troy Nunes would scramble for 30 seconds sometimes. LOL.

Don’t know for sure but since they mention drop backs I assume scrambling outside would not figure in. Hell, Troy Nunes would scramble for 30 seconds sometimes. LOL.
"And for my next magic trick..."

- Troy Nunes, probably

I have yet to rewatch the game but I thought the pass blocking was very good. I thought Shrader mostly had plenty of time to throw. I was more down on the run blocking but Allen did manage 80 yards and a healthy 4.7 average. That's pretty good.

There were a few times to that Shrader should have given it to Allen on the rpo's and he would've had a couple of big gains.

For two weeks a lot of people said we won't know until after Purdue. Well, I was very encouraged by their performance against Purdue.
I always thought that this would be our pivotal game. We passed, so now we can be pretty darn good, and can dare to dream. Take them one game at a time.

Only 2 penalties for 10 yards, I think.

Really excellent performance from these guys against a tough team.
Nice to see improvement from the first two games, as they work together more.

Hopefully we see Steve Farmer appreciation posts this season.

That was a big Dline so to not end up with more holding and/or false start penalties is a great sign. They played so clean overall it didn’t even register to me we didn’t have moments of shooting ourselves in the foot like in the past. Thanks for pointing this out.

Backwards and backwards and backwards and backwards and...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom