So is there a future flaw in BTN: Digital and Web the Future | Syracusefan.com

So is there a future flaw in BTN: Digital and Web the Future

arbitragegls

All Conference
As previously discussed, here is a link to a very good article. It discusses the upcoming NATPE conference (national association of television programming executives). What is primary on their mind is that significant inroads are being made by a variety of resources to provide viewers TV content on the web, U-Tube, netflix, X-box etc.

This is the opening that the ACC is looking at with its partner ESPN and others. The question is: Will BTN be positioned for success 10 years hence...or is the ACC moving in that direction the conference that may lead the way to greater dollars down the road?

A few key points:
  • New technologies that give viewers more say in what they watch, where they watch and how much they pay for it are great for consumers. But they’re inducing a collective nervous breakdown among industry executives, who have to figure out new ways to make money in a business facing serious threats to its traditional sources of revenue — advertising and cable-TV subscriptions. But the biggest tremors came from the Internet, which is threatening to remake television as thoroughly as it already has the newspaper and music industries, by letting viewers bypass cable to watch shows online.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/...s-disrupting.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy
  • Subscriptions to cable and satellite television peaked in 2010 and have fallen five percentage points since then, the research company TDG reported late last year. Meanwhile, consumer satisfaction with cable service, which had held steady for years between 65 and 70 percent, dropped 10 percentage points.
  • “The most interesting part of that report, to me, was that it said a lot of the people without cable are not ‘cord-cutters’ but cord-never-havers,” says Jim Flynn, president of Massachusetts-based Overlook TV. “We employ some of those people at my company. They’re in their early 20s, just out of college, and for them, paying $100 or $200 a month for cable TV is just not an option. And they don’t feel bad about it. They’re part of this millennial generation who are perfectly happy getting all their video over the Internet.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/26/3201660_p2/watching-tv-on-web-is-disrupting.html#storylink=cpy

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/...s-disrupting.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/26/3201660/watching-tv-on-web-is-disrupting.html#storylink=cpy

I really hope the BTN fails...it really pisses me off that they blackmail consumers. BTN isn't the only one...most do it.

I really hope the BTN fails...it really pisses me off that they blackmail consumers. BTN is the only one...most do it.
I really hope the BTN fails, just because it has allowed that douchebag commissioner to think he is a kingmaker and the most powerful man in college sports.

I hope it fails spectacularly and leaves Maryland an even bigger disaster than it already is.

If/when the internet becomes the dominant delivery platform for sports content, the B1G will still be very well positioned. They have taken a strategy of growth through large, flagship state schools. A school like Penn State probably puts out as many new alumni each year as Wake Forest, Miami, Duke, Syracuse and Boston College combined (or a number close to that). Those are the people who will pay to have access to the BTN or ACCNet on their tablets/phones, etc.

If/when the internet becomes the dominant delivery platform for sports content, the B1G will still be very well positioned. They have taken a strategy of growth through large, flagship state schools. A school like Penn State probably puts out as many new alumni each year as Wake Forest, Miami, Duke, Syracuse and Boston College combined (or a number close to that). Those are the people who will pay to have access to the BTN or ACCNet on their tablets/phones, etc.

Yep, I can't wait for Penn State, Michigan, O-State to realize they each have 25x the subscribers of Rutgers and Northwestern and start questioning the equal share thing.

Rutgers fans will subscribe for two months, September and October, then all hope will be lost.

Nobody from NJ is going to pay for that crap during basketball and lacrosse/baseball season. Better make sure the Big Ten makes it an annual contract.

Yep, I can't wait for Penn State, Michigan, O-State to realize they each have 25x the subscribers of Rutgers and Northwestern and start questioning the equal share thing.

Rutgers fan's will subscribe for two months September and October, then all hope will be lost.

Nobody from NJ is going to pay for that sh during basketball and lacrosse season. Better make sure the Big Ten makes it an annual contract.

Wait Rutgers is huge in hoops now! NCAA NIT CIT looking like a possibility...rumored crowds in excess of 5,000 at the RAC Bunker.

Wait Rutgers is huge in hoops now! NCAA NIT CIT looking like a possibility...rumored crowds in excess of 5,000 at the RAC Bunker.

You are being hard on rutgers, Mark. They've made it to the Big East Tourney several years running! Oops, sorry, auto invite doesn't count. Sucks to be them. :D

I'll assume you agree with my earlier post considering you didn't address it head-on and instead attacked Rutgers Basketball which is a soft target. I have said for quite awhile that Rutgers was not going to be competitive in hoops until we made serious upgrades to the RAC. The RAC, and it's non existent practice facilities were outdated two decades ago. Much like football WAS, the RAC currently is the worst basketball complex for any BCS Program in the country.

You can't win that way but thankfully we are about to break ground on a 30+ million dollar renovation of the RAC (including practice facilities) that is planned to be ready for 2015. That whole immediate area of Livingston Campus right around the RAC is currently getting about a half-billion dollar facelift which should be almost entirely complete by the time we welcome our B1G partners in 2014.

I'll assume you agree with my earlier post considering you didn't address it head-on and instead attacked Rutgers Basketball which is a soft target. I have said for quite awhile that Rutgers was not going to be competitive in hoops until we made serious upgrades to the RAC. The RAC, and it's non existent practice facilities were outdated two decades ago. Much like football WAS, the RAC currently is the worst basketball complex for any BCS Program in the country.

You can't win that way but thankfully we are about to break ground on a 30+ million dollar renovation of the RAC (including practice facilities) that is planned to be ready for 2015. That whole immediate area of Livingston Campus right around the RAC is currently getting about a half-billion dollar facelift which should be almost entirely complete by the time we welcome our B1G partners in 2014.

I'm sure Sandy victims are thrilled!

Amazing...a mere mention of Rutgers and the trolls come running.

I don't give a crap about Rutgers anymore really...enjoy the B1G. You won the PowerBall. We are going our separate ways...we'll still make fun of Rutgirls occasionally but we'll have new playmates next year while you are trying to convince yourselves and others you are big time. Cuse fans are estatic to be aligned north-south along I-95 versus east-west along I-90. You guys loved calling us the tundra or some such thing...now you'll get much more of it. While we are watching games in the Carolinas/GA/FL in Late Oct/Nov...you'll be treking off to Madison, Lansing, MSP, Chicago from AZ. Unlike Syracuse...those stadiums are outdoors and the wind really whips in the Midwest. As you know 38 degress and rain is not much fun.

Amazing...a mere mention of Rutgers and the trolls come running.
theyre scared that the sleeping giant is now in the b1g.

and they dont know what to do, so like a wounded animal, they lash out.

their little brains cant comprehend how they can be so wrong about something.

Oh Lord

As previously discussed, here is a link to a very good article. It discusses the upcoming NATPE conference (national association of television programming executives). What is primary on their mind is that significant inroads are being made by a variety of resources to provide viewers TV content on the web, U-Tube, netflix, X-box etc.

This is the opening that the ACC is looking at with its partner ESPN and others. The question is: Will BTN be positioned for success 10 years hence...or is the ACC moving in that direction the conference that may lead the way to greater dollars down the road?

A few key points:
  • New technologies that give viewers more say in what they watch, where they watch and how much they pay for it are great for consumers. But they’re inducing a collective nervous breakdown among industry executives, who have to figure out new ways to make money in a business facing serious threats to its traditional sources of revenue — advertising and cable-TV subscriptions. But the biggest tremors came from the Internet, which is threatening to remake television as thoroughly as it already has the newspaper and music industries, by letting viewers bypass cable to watch shows online.

• Subscriptions to cable and satellite television peaked in 2010 and have fallen five percentage points since then, the research company TDG reported late last year. Meanwhile, consumer satisfaction with cable service, which had held steady for years between 65 and 70 percent, dropped 10 percentage points.
  • “The most interesting part of that report, to me, was that it said a lot of the people without cable are not ‘cord-cutters’ but cord-never-havers,” says Jim Flynn, president of Massachusetts-based Overlook TV. “We employ some of those people at my company. They’re in their early 20s, just out of college, and for them, paying $100 or $200 a month for cable TV is just not an option. And they don’t feel bad about it. They’re part of this millennial generation who are perfectly happy getting all their video over the Internet.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/26/3201660_p2/watching-tv-on-web-is-disrupting.html#storylink=cpy

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/26/3201660/watching-tv-on-web-is-disrupting.html#storylink=cpy

They can't be talking about this stuff seriously. Our resident industry expert (Scooch) told me 2 years ago that this stuff was fairy tale nonsense.

I have been almost entirely off the grid with my sports watching for the past year. If you are resourceful and know where to look, you can pretty much get anything you want. Just like the transition from Napster to Itunes, people will pay if there is a good model.

TV (and sports in particular) on the web are in the Napster stage. The itunes stage is coming ..

I think you miss the point that the issue is market penetration and Rutgers has no market penetration in their market. It's not how many grads PSU puts out, it's market penetration. PSU has it, Rutgers does not. Syracuse has it. Louisville has it. Pitt has it. ND has it.

They can't be talking about this stuff seriously. Our resident industry expert (Scooch) told me 2 years ago that this stuff was fairy tale nonsense.

I have been almost entirely off the grid with my sports watching for the past year. If you are resourceful and know where to look, you can pretty much get anything you want. Just like the transition from Napster to Itunes, people will pay if there is a good model.

TV (and sports in particular) on the web are in the Napster stage. The itunes stage is coming ..
There's a model right now. There are little boxes that plug into the TV i've seen friends have in NYC. It runs ESPN3, HuluPlus, Netflix, HboGo and Crackle. The only downside is live TV and sports. But I'm sure it will be coming soon.

so you're saying the market is only as big as the alumni base? that's fair. But that will still reduce the big 10's money grab because they can't force it on 15 million NYC cable subscribers who don't want it.

What helps Syracuse over schools like Wake, Miami and BC is that Syracuse resides in an area where it's the only game in town. Syracuse gets a million viewers just be default and like Duke basekball, has a national appeal. I was 3 1/2 hours from Syracuse on Saturday and I overheard people talking about the basketball game against Villanova.

Whenever I go to Vegas people always know when you say you're from Syracuse, they know about the Orangemen.

so you're saying the market is only as big as the alumni base? that's fair. But that will still reduce the big 10's money grab because they can't force it on 15 million NYC cable subscribers who don't want it.

What helps Syracuse over schools like Wake, Miami and BC is that Syracuse resides in an area where it's the only game in town. Syracuse gets a million viewers just be default and like Duke basekball, has a national appeal. I was 3 1/2 hours from Syracuse on Saturday and I overheard people talking about the basketball game against Villanova.

I've lived in many places and never met a Rutgers fan. I've met Orange fans everywhere and many more who know and respect Syracuse.

Somewhat agree with this- but only because I'm sure Delaney is a man who's looked at the emerging landscape, and is positioning the BiG to that end.
The rest is just incoherent drivel. :blah:

Yea, so? What this will do is significantly reduce $$$. Right now, a lot of people have to pay for the BTN that don't want it. This will mean only those that want it will have to pay. Then, it won't just be alumni, but it will be BRAND. And once the Big10 see's that the PSU's, OSU's and Michigans are getting pillaged (because rutgirls has no brand) just like the BE got pillaged by rutgirls, they will change their revenue sharing. But SU will be fine because of it's brand, not just alumni.

Yea, so? What this will do is significantly reduce $$$. Right now, a lot of people have to pay for the BTN that don't want it. This will mean only those that want it will have to pay. Then, it won't just be alumni, but it will be BRAND. And once the Big10 see's that the PSU's, OSU's and Michigans are getting pillaged (because rutgirls has no brand) just like the BE got pillaged by rutgirls, they will change their revenue sharing. But SU will be fine because of it's brand, not just alumni.

Cuse athletic brand is very strong among Privates: Notre Dame is First (no debate), IMHO Stanford and Duke are second. Cuse is close to Stanford and Duke and could pull even with a few more good football seasons.

Is it really soft if all Buttgers teams are soft targets?

Cuse athletic brand is very strong among Privates: Notre Dame is First (no debate), IMHO Stanford and Duke are second. Cuse is close to Stanford and Duke and could pull even with a few more good football seasons.

Mark, I agree with the above, but you left out Rutgers West, er, sorry, USC.

Hey everyone...leave Rutgers alone!! They proved they deserved a B1G invite with their outstanding performance in the Russell Athletic Bowl!! They played a tough team there!!