So, Lebron yesterday said Divinchenzo made himself... | Syracusefan.com

So, Lebron yesterday said Divinchenzo made himself...

orangecuse

Hall of Fame
A lot of money on championship night. Stating, not only from him hitting long range shots, but in a few key moments when Michigan was showing some life (getting it back to 12 with a little mo) and then he comes right down and hits a big time 3 (with no hesitation) that halted any hope for UM and its faithful. Additionally, LBJ stated how Dante also showed his ability to drive, getting to the hole, and/or setting up teammates. Furthermore, going up with two hands and making that two handed block near the basket, showed his athleticism and leaping ability.

So, will Dante being showing up in 1st round mocks? If he was on SU, he'd be a lottery pick by now.! ;)

LeBron, amazing player and all, but he's proven to be a pretty crappy general manager.

(note that I'm not saying anything here about Dante's pro prospects, just that when it comes to player talent evaluation, LeBron isn't exactly the guy to go to for an informed take).

Last edited:
I don't understand the "he made himself a lot of money..." comments when a guy has a good 2,3, 4 game stretch in the tournament. That's basically saying, "Let's throw out the first 30 games where this guy was good, but not great, and overhype/overdraft him." I'm sure scouts & GM's are a lot smarter than LBJ and various talking heads when it comes to scouting talent, or at least I would hope so.

I don't understand the "he made himself a lot of money..." comments when a guy has a good 2,3, 4 game stretch in the tournament. That's basically saying, "Let's throw out the first 30 games where this guy was good, but not great, and overhype/overdraft him." I'm sure scouts & GM's are a lot smarter than LBJ and various talking heads when it comes to scouting talent, or at least I would hope so.

They aren't throwing out the season. The career game was in the biggest game of the year/his life but he's had great college numbers all season. 13/5/3.5 and a steal per game, on 48% shooting, including 40% from three. That's pretty elite for college basketball guards. All in 29 mpg. The guy is solid. This wasn't your random bench scrub going off. He can ball.

I think DiVincenzo has shown more than 2,3, or 4 games. His athleticism has been on display for at least the past season, and his (sometimes streaky) shooting range is no secret either. What may have opened some eyes on Monday was his willingness to go for it in high-pressure situations.

I think DiVincenzo has shown more than 2,3, or 4 games. His athleticism has been on display for at least the past season, and his (sometimes streaky) shooting range is no secret either. What may have opened some eyes on Monday was his willingness to go for it in high-pressure situations.

That's fine, but that would also mean he didn't "just" make a lot of money on Monday. Because NBA scouts do, you know, "scout" during the regular season.

This the same Lebron that is threatening to sue Alabama football for having a "barber shop" based show because he (lebron) claims he INVENTED the format and thus its a copyright infringement?

I usually am supportive of Lebron and think he takes alot of crap for nothing. But on this one, I gotta say, its really pretty arrogant.

It's like trying to copyright a talk show. "we invented the format where two people sit down, and one asks the other questions"

People here will tell you that Malachi Richardson wasn't a 1st round pick save for half of one half of one game.

This the same Lebron that is threatening to sue Alabama football for having a "barber shop" based show because he (lebron) claims he INVENTED the format and thus its a copyright infringement?

I usually am supportive of Lebron and think he takes alot of crap for nothing. But on this one, I gotta say, its really pretty arrogant.

It's like trying to copyright a talk show. "we invented the format where two people sit down, and one asks the other questions"

Yeah I heard about that on Sirius earlier today. Not a good look by LBJ. The ‘barber shops’ have been around long before him and other actors have done shows/skits on a varation by that theme. Sort of crazy on LBJ’s part. Loved the response by Saban.

It happens all the time. Just look at Malachi.

Look at what? He did well at the Combine.

I mean lol. Why have scouts or a combine at all? GMs can just take three weekends off and watch March Madness I guess.
If you're trying to tell me that Malachi Richardson would have declared and been a first-round pick if Syracuse had been left out of the tournament or lost to Dayton in the first round in 2016 then "I mean lol" is right.

Putting aside from the fact he’s going to get crushed by videos of barbershop conversations going back 20 years on ESPN, I’d think his lawyer might want to explain the Miller/Budweiser lawsuit over “Lite/Light” beer to get a sense of where this is going to end up.

He has roughly a 0% chance of winning...and a 99.95% chance of looking like an ignorant clown while losing. This is one he should quit while he’s behind.

If you're trying to tell me that Malachi Richardson would have declared and been a first-round pick if Syracuse had been left out of the tournament or lost to Dayton in the first round in 2016 then "I mean lol" is right.

You’re correct...but will never convince certain board members that all GMs aren’t super savvy, brilliant businessmen who analyze every single moment of basketball that has been played to analytically and unemotionally determine who they are going to pick.

What’s probably likely is you need to have some performance that gets you on their radar to evaluate - the idea that a GM can’t evaluate every single possible draft pick due to time constraints should be obvious...yet apparently isn’t to some.

Yes, he would have tested the waters and impressed at the combine and been selected by someone in the first round. He was certainly on the NBA radar before the tournament. It's not like he was hatched from an egg at halftime of the UVA game.

You’re correct...but will never convince certain board members that all GMs aren’t super savvy, brilliant businessmen who analyze every single moment of basketball that has been played to analytically and unemotionally determine who they are going to pick.

What’s probably likely is you need to have some performance that gets you on their radar to evaluate - the idea that a GM can’t evaluate every single possible draft pick due to time constraints should be obvious...yet apparently isn’t to some.

Perfect.

That performance imprinted a lot of indelible images in the minds of the GMs that watched it and the owners too.

Regardless of the hours and hours of available videos of past Villanova games, what they saw was what the kid could do on the biggest stage in the most important game.

I have many times seen baseball teams trade for guys who had always seem to do exceptionally well when they played them. They seem to put less weight on how the guy did against the other teams in the conference and remember what they saw in their games.

Dante is at Nova. He has made no mention of putting his name in the draft. He has even stated how he needs to talk to Coach Wright about starting next year.

Now, if he went to SU, he'd probably already have an agent.

Yep.

Yes, he would have tested the waters and impressed at the combine and been selected by someone in the first round. He was certainly on the NBA radar before the tournament. It's not like he was hatched from an egg at halftime of the UVA game.
Riiiiight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom