So, Lebron yesterday said Divinchenzo made himself... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So, Lebron yesterday said Divinchenzo made himself...

You’re correct...but will never convince certain board members that all GMs aren’t super savvy, brilliant businessmen who analyze every single moment of basketball that has been played to analytically and unemotionally determine who they are going to pick.

What’s probably likely is you need to have some performance that gets you on their radar to evaluate - the idea that a GM can’t evaluate every single possible draft pick due to time constraints should be obvious...yet apparently isn’t to some.

Well NBA teams have scouts that see players at Power 5 conference teams, mid majors, and basically every corner of the globe. GMs pay these guys to accumulate this info so they know who should be drafted and when.

But yeah you're right the NBAdoesnt know you exist unless you blow up in March on national television.

You’re correct...but will never convince certain board members that all GMs aren’t super savvy, brilliant businessmen who analyze every single moment of basketball that has been played to analytically and unemotionally determine who they are going to pick.

What’s probably likely is you need to have some performance that gets you on their radar to evaluate - the idea that a GM can’t evaluate every single possible draft pick due to time constraints should be obvious...yet apparently isn’t to some.
Your argument might have some more weight if DiVincenzo played for Loyola. He plays for Villanova. Scouts have seen him play 20 times or more just this season. His performance was eye-opening only to the extent that it happened in the national championship game.

That's fine, but that would also mean he didn't "just" make a lot of money on Monday. Because NBA scouts do, you know, "scout" during the regular season.
I didn't see/hear LeBron's actual quote. Did he use the word "just"? Because the OP didn't.

Lebron James got the Heat to use a first round draft pick on Shabazz Napier.

So yeah.

Well, he’s been better than Ennis who was picked 6 picks earlier. So I guess it isn’t too crazy.

Jokes aside Divencenzo impresses me more than Battle from a prospect standpoint. Looks to be a better shooter with better range, rebounder, passer, and a more explosive athlete. He turns the corner. Battle bullied people to the rim.

He gets a ton of space to operate, and Battle got almost none this year.

If DD played for SU and had that performance there is no doubt he would be leaving to cash in. Let's see if he stays at Nova.

He gets a ton of space to operate, and Battle got almost none this year.

Fair enough. It just seems his shot and handle are much more refined and he was better at finishing once he got inside.

Well NBA teams have scouts that see players at Power 5 conference teams, mid majors, and basically every corner of the globe. GMs pay these guys to accumulate this info so they know who should be drafted and when.

But yeah you're right the NBAdoesnt know you exist unless you blow up in March on national television.

The great thing about your position is that it can’t be proven...which allows you to be completely delusional and ignore literally everything we know about human nature.

The great thing about your position is that it can’t be proven...which allows you to be completely delusional and ignore literally everything we know about human nature.

I mean the first paragraph of mine you quoted is easily proven.

I don't understand the "he made himself a lot of money..." comments when a guy has a good 2,3, 4 game stretch in the tournament. That's basically saying, "Let's throw out the first 30 games where this guy was good, but not great, and overhype/overdraft him." I'm sure scouts & GM's are a lot smarter than LBJ and various talking heads when it comes to scouting talent, or at least I would hope so.

See Richardson, Malachi

I think everyone discounts the 1 or 2 game theory too much. It has some effect. GMs aren't infallible - and they're not the ONLY ones making the decision. Look at Anthony Bennett, that GM got fired over that pick, and if you read the articles he was the only person in Cleveland that wanted nothing to do with picking him. All it takes is one dude that see the game, see the track record, and says, well, maybe that game isn't an anomaly. Maybe I got my eyes on white Steph Curry!!!!

I don't know - all of a sudden that kid that was nowhere near your draft board may seem more unappealing than those late lottery, mid-teen dudes that you're all lukewarm on. UPSIDE! And you only gotta sell a few people on the might be white Steph Curry! Salesmanship! I'm sure it's happened plenty of times.

They aren't throwing out the season. The career game was in the biggest game of the year/his life but he's had great college numbers all season. 13/5/3.5 and a steal per game, on 48% shooting, including 40% from three. That's pretty elite for college basketball guards. All in 29 mpg. The guy is solid. This wasn't your random bench scrub going off. He can ball.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree with you on Divincenzo. I realize the kid can play. My statement was a much more overall general statement. It wasn't meant to be about him. I didn't elaborate enough.

I think DiVincenzo has shown more than 2,3, or 4 games. His athleticism has been on display for at least the past season, and his (sometimes streaky) shooting range is no secret either. What may have opened some eyes on Monday was his willingness to go for it in high-pressure situations.

Totally agree. My comment wasn't directed at him. Just in general.

It happens all the time. Just look at Malachi.

Sadly it does happen more often than it should. I think Divincenzo is an excellent player. I was just saying in general those comments are annoying and offbase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom