So let's discuss Tyler Ennis for a moment | Syracusefan.com

So let's discuss Tyler Ennis for a moment

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Just caught a few minutes of Tyler in the Jordan Brand Classic that was played in Brooklyn and attended by Carmelo Anthony last night. The game is on my DVR and I plan to watch it later on.

From his first two shifts, I can say with confidence, Tyler Ennis will be an all-time great point guard at Syracuse. He'll be remembered with the likes of Sherman Douglas and Pearl Washington. There isn't any part of his offensive game that I don't like. He's going to be a great teammate and make everyone around him better from day one. Tyler Ennis just gets it.

I, for one, am confident in Syracuse's near basketball future entering the ACC.

Read this article from MSG Varsity

I would really like to see game summaries from those who were able to watch last night, detailing how he played.

I would really like to see game summaries from those who were able to watch last night, detailing how he played.
The game is on ESPNU right now.

Just caught a few minutes of Tyler in the Jordan Brand Classic that was played in Brooklyn and attended by Carmelo Anthony last night. The game is on my DVR and I plan to watch it later on.

From his first two shifts, I can say with confidence, Tyler Ennis will be an all-time great point guard at Syracuse. He'll be remembered with the likes of Sherman Douglas and Pearl Washington. There isn't any part of his offensive game that I don't like. He's going to be a great teammate and make everyone around him better from day one. Tyler Ennis just gets it.

I, for one, am confident in Syracuse's near basketball future entering the ACC.

Read this article from MSG Varsity

The glowing compliment is re-assuring considering not having a true point guard can be devastating to a team. Without looking it up, i think our most down years have been when our leading assist guy was under 4 apg so it does pay to have a pass first pg. i watched him in the invitational last week and the thing i like about him was that he seemed to be the kind if kid that wants the ball in his hands during crunch time.

We're all in favor of him being the next Pearl Washington and Sherman Douglas. If Gbinije can be Billy Owens, Patterson can be Dion Waiters, Johnson can be CJ Fair, Roberson can be Hakim Warrick and Obokoh a bigger, better Keita whole Coleman morphs into Arinze, we should be pretty good.

Remember that this was an exhibition game with little D.

After seeing Ennis a number of times, I think he is going to have trouble scoring against good pressure defenses in college. He is slow and not overly athletic. You can get away with that if you are hugely strong and have a ridiculous amount of body control the way Edelin did, but I dont think Ennis (or many other players) have that the way he did.

The good news is Ennis is almost definitely going to be a four year player. By the end of the four years I expect him to be a very good shooter and a good decision maker. Put a great athlete who can handle the ball next to him (Briscoe?) and he will be a great fit.

The bad news is next year Ennis is going to be an okay shooter at best, and I worry about his ability to handle the ball against pressure - how much help are we going to be able to offer him in that regard?

After seeing Ennis a number of times, I think he is going to have trouble scoring against good pressure defenses in college. He is slow and not overly athletic. You can get away with that if you are hugely strong and have a ridiculous amount of body control the way Edelin did, but I dont think Ennis (or many other players) have that the way he did.

The good news is Ennis is almost definitely going to be a four year player. By the end of the four years I expect him to be a very good shooter and a good decision maker. Put a great athlete who can handle the ball next to him (Briscoe?) and he will be a great fit.

The bad news is next year Ennis is going to be an okay shooter at best, and I worry about his ability to handle the ball against pressure - how much help are we going to be able to offer him in that regard?

Did you watch him last night? Slow and not being able to handle the ball run completely contrary to what I witnessed last night. Handle is better now than either lottery pick or triche

Was fast and the best Syracuse ball handler I've seen in a long time. He'll have no problem against any kind of pressure defense

Also to note: at the end of the St. Benny's game, he took and drilled a confident 3 in the last handful of seconds. Last night, he took one of the last shots for his squad. What does that tell us? "He ain't skeered."

I really enjoy your posts [especially the post game analysis], and think many of your observations are right on the money. However, in this case, I'm going to disagree with you on a few points about Ennis. I have no--ZERO--concerns about this kid's handle. Watched two games in the NSI, and he has not just a good left hand, but a great one. Kid dribbles the ball like its on a string with both hands. Spent a lot of time paying attention to that in the games I watched, and I believe that Ennis has a tremendous handle--won't be an issue.

I agree about his athleticism / speed not being a differentiator, but I think you're being a bit too critical in this regard. Kid isn't a burner, although he's a better athlete than people seem to give him credit for. He picks his spots and situationally turns on a burst of speed. Not unlike MCW, who also wasn't waterbug fast.

Just curious on peoples thoughts about his D. I have seen him only once this year and it was the game that was played last weekend at Georgetown prep where he hurt his shoulder later in the game. My sense was that he appeared a little lazy on D. Not that he couldnt play, but rather played w low energy. Again, just one game, and in truth, only part of that game.

It's hard to say how Ennis will be in our D overallbut he has good anticipation and awareness. I expect he will deflect plenty of passes and get his fair share of steals. How he gets over screens, contests shots and rotates with the ball is hard to say. He's smart though so I figure he will get it before we get too far into the season. MCW he won't be on D but who will?

Loved his passing ability. Very good court vision and throws it with some mustard on it, (which I didn't see on U-Tube). Looked like he was willing to mix it up inside if we needed it, too. (Guard rebounding was a big part of this team). I don't think he'll need to as much as Triche and MCW this year. Had a quick first step to the basket. Drew a lot of iron on his shots and still has that high dribble, as MCW did. G is bigger but closer to the floor when he drives. He'll be a good one but I don't see Sherman or the Pearl. I don't think he'll need to be one.

Wowee zowee! If Orangeyes and that article are correct, I feel the warm glow of anticipation and excitement settling throughout my body and soul. I can turn my attention to other important matters, confident that when it is finally time for basketball again, we will have a Most Interesting Team to watch. No fast forwarding on my wish list! I read that "the secret of life is enjoying the passage of time."

Thank you, Dan! I hope you're right. Time will tell. Meanwhile.....

I have zero concerns for Tyler on offense, it's on the defensive side of the ball that make me nervous...
I think he made a VERY shrewd decision my committing to us, the zone will help him immensely. In man to man D he could struggle...
But, we play zone, and I think he is up to the challenge next year.
The things I like most about Tyler are his intangibles;
He will be a coach on the floor from day one, leadership in the locker room will never be an issue,
Plus I think he is just likeable, did you guys see during the game, his teammates smile and interact with him, they just like playing with him...
He might even get a smile out of Rak during a game next year...:)

I have zero concerns for Tyler on offense, it's on the defensive side of the ball that make me nervous...
I think he made a VERY shrewd decision my committing to us, the zone will help him immensely. In man to man D he could struggle...
But, we play zone, and I think he is up to the challenge next year.
The things I like most about Tyler are his intangibles;
He will be a coach on the floor from day one, leadership in the locker room will never be an issue,
Plus I think he is just likeable, did you guys see during the game, his teammates smile and interact with him, they just like playing with him...
He might even get a smile out of Rak during a game next year...:)

We'll never know if he could have made Triche smile. :(

but I don't see Sherman or the Pearl. quote]
To clarify, I think he will be remembered along with those point guards not that he plays like them but that he will be remembered as one of the all time PG's.

Just curious on peoples thoughts about his D. I have seen him only once this year and it was the game that was played last weekend at Georgetown prep where he hurt his shoulder later in the game. My sense was that he appeared a little lazy on D. Not that he couldnt play, but rather played w low energy. Again, just one game, and in truth, only part of that game.

Any update on his shoulder?

Have you seen him play recently or within the last year to be exact? Last week alone in the ESPN HS Tourney, he was running layup drills on repeat against top 50 players that are considered good defenders like Kasey Hill, Nigel Williams-Goss, Stanford Robinson, and Al Freeman. He's not Usain Bolt but his speed is deceptive. Like the announcers mentioned, he can turn on the fast/slow button whenever he wants and I have hardly seen him struggle getting into the lane in a game. Everybody view things differently, so maybe you saw something that others and myself aren't seeing.