So much easier with a Stud RB | Syracusefan.com

So much easier with a Stud RB

upperdeck

Living Legend
Cooke turned so many nothings into something today, so hard to bring down and then just runs away from everyone. I think the D actually got in pretty good position much of the game but couldnt tackle him.

Our Rbs had very few holes but dang they missed quite a few that were there, just no vision or power and lack the speed to turn the corner. Bad Oline play and avg RB talent leads to a struggle.

Cook's mentality is I'm not going down no matter what.

He's the anti-Strickland. And, of course, the anti-Millhouse.

He was very impressive. So many plays where it looked like we had him bottled up, and they were 6 to 20 yard gains.

And Fredricks is apparently the #4 now. Unbelievable. The kid has been keeping his chin up and supporting the team best he can and now he can't even get a garbage time handoff. JB's doghouse isn't this bad.

And Fredricks is apparently the #4 now. Unbelievable. The kid has been keeping his chin up and supporting the team best he can and now he can't even get a garbage time handoff. JB's doghouse isn't this bad.

As I just said in SWC's thread, I think Morris was just getting senior day carries.

But watching Strickland and Neal fall to the ground so easily, it's strange that they don't just try some basic plays with Fredericks.

As I just said in SWC's thread, I think Morris was just getting senior day carries.

But watching Strickland and Neal fall to the ground so easily, it's strange that they don't just try some basic plays with Fredericks.

Good point and surely deserved for Morris. I didn't think about that. But yeah, I can't for the life of me see the fascination with Strickland. I trust Dino but its a head scratcher for sure.

Dino is stubborn. Admits it. I think JF will transfer. He is too good to sit unless he is dinged up.

Dino is stubborn. Admits it. I think JF will transfer. He is too good to sit unless he is dinged up.

JF probably should transfer. But I don't think it's a product of Dino's "stubbornness" ... the guy doesn't fit the offense. And even if he did, I'm not sure our makeshift line can open holes for anyone - esp vs the best teams in our conference.

I am far from a football expert but can't figure out why our RBs try to go straight through the backs of our blockers. In fact it was great from my view when Brisley Estime actually used his speed to run to the open side of the field gaining good yardage on some punts instead of piling into the back of blockers. Our RBs seem to try to power through a group of engaged blockers instead of evading them and beating strung out single opponents. If we can't hold blocks to allow RBs to go through why not contain a block to one side so the rb can go around to the "weak side"? I will admit I probably make little sense but it's just what I see but have trouble explaining not knowing the football vernacular.

He runs well but is far inferior in every other facet of the position. He is a poor receiver, and struggles mightily with pass protection. I watched him during his few series yesterday and his whiffs were abundant. That's a poor combination for this offense. It's like having a 6'5" center at the back of JB's zone -- It might work somewhere else but not so much here.

I am far from a football expert but can't figure out why our RBs try to go straight through the backs of our blockers. In fact it was great from my view when Brisley Estime actually used his speed to run to the open side of the field gaining good yardage on some punts instead of piling into the back of blockers. Our RBs seem to try to power through a group of engaged blockers instead of evading them and beating strung out single opponents. If we can't hold blocks to allow RBs to go through why not contain a block to one side so the rb can go around to the "weak side"? I will admit I probably make little sense but it's just what I see but have trouble explaining not knowing the football vernacular.

The next arm tackle Strickland breaks will be his first. He's great in open space but doesn't really have the vision or strength to be an every down back. We need one desperately.

Cooke made so many runs with holes that were not really there it was a killer. Our RB never see the backside hole and just run into the pile or get arm tackled by a finger nail. Strickland made one nice run in the wildcat used patience and went around the end to gain 4-5 yds. Of course Cooke would have made 20 on that play and it didnt really matter as we got our Chop block called again.

He runs well but is far inferior in every other facet of the position. He is a poor receiver, and struggles mightily with pass protection. I watched him during his few series yesterday and his whiffs were abundant. That's a poor combination for this offense. It's like having a 6'5" center at the back of JB's zone -- It might work somewhere else but not so much here.

Disagree. He is not FAR inferior in every other facet. Is he behind? Maybe, but saying his is FAR behind is crazy. So he missed a block yesterday? Everyone on the team missed blocks yesterday. He made some great blocks which helped us win @ BC, even the announcers gave him credit. I've seen Neal get bowled over countless times trying to make a block, I certainly would rather have him blocking for me than Neal. And he's a poor receiver? Why, because he dropped 1 of the 3 passes that were thrown to him this year? Strickland has 1 catch for -6 yards in the past 2 games, he's far ahead in this category?

Disagree. He is not FAR inferior in every other facet. Is he behind? Maybe, but saying his is FAR behind is crazy. So he missed a block yesterday? Everyone on the team missed blocks yesterday. He made some great blocks which helped us win @ BC, even the announcers gave him credit. I've seen Neal get bowled over countless times trying to make a block, I certainly would rather have him blocking for me than Neal. And he's a poor receiver? Why, because he dropped 1 of the 3 passes that were thrown to him this year? Strickland has 1 catch for -6 yards in the past 2 games, he's far ahead in this category?

I live the kid as a runner - but next time he is in focus a tad on what he does when he doesn't get the ball.

I live the kid as a runner - but next time he is in focus a tad on what he does when he doesn't get the ball.

I just went back and rewatched the one series he played in. He missed 0 blocks and I didn't see him do anything wrong. I don't remember him playing at Clemson and remember him making a couple great blocks against BC. Please tell me where all these errors are.

I know I saw him in two different games block TWO different defenders on a play. He is the best pass blocker we have. He is the best runner we have. He may of lined up once or twice in the wrong spot so did Strickland yesterday. Mahoney moved him and life went on. I know people are trying to grasp why he didn't play this year a lot of us are including me. As far as him transferring Babers doesn't want him to go. Jordan had to learn a HARD lesson for some reason. If learning plays are a problem he has a whole year now to get it down pack. Which i dont think it is, the kid made the Deans list. Lol. But being a running back who with vision for holes , and instinct of how to run the ball cannot be taught. An O line opens the hole, a good running back has to make a move on the secondary. There will also be times where a RB will NOT have a hole but need to grind out those tough yards. Dalvin Cook did it yesterday. Well this year is almost in the books. Next year will be a new year and God willing a much better year GO SYRACUSE!!

You think he sticks around?
I know I saw him in two different games block TWO different defenders on a play. He is the best pass blocker we have. He is the best runner we have. He may of lined up once or twice in the wrong spot so did Strickland yesterday. Mahoney moved him and life went on. I know people are trying to grasp why he didn't play this year a lot of us are including me. As far as him transferring Babers doesn't want him to go. Jordan had to learn a HARD lesson for some reason. If learning plays are a problem he has a whole year now to get it down pack. Which i dont think it is, the kid made the Deans list. Lol. But being a running back who with vision for holes , and instinct of how to run the ball cannot be taught. An O line opens the hole, a good running back has to make a move on the secondary. There will also be times where a RB will NOT have a hole but need to grind out those tough yards. Dalvin Cook did it yesterday. Well this year is almost in the books. Next year will be a new year and God willing a much better year GO SYRACUSE!!

You think he sticks around?
You think he should leave? Who is to say he won't take over next year? If conditioning or play calling was a problem he has a whole year to work on that too? Babers set out to make an example out of him apparently for some reason. I am quite sure his message was heard loud and clear and Jordan Fredericks will make sure it doesn't happen again. From watching the kid on the sideline during the games and the VT video he looks like he still bleeds orange.

Have to agree. Neal does get bowled over in blocking and he has 2 - count 'em - 2 receptions for 6 yards this season as our 2nd string RB. What a great fit for the system!