So much for Brooklyn | Syracusefan.com

So much for Brooklyn

Madbiker

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Reg Season Rcd
Will the ACCT now be in Greensboro for the next 5 years? If we don't have more talented teams than these 2 years, it won't matter where they play it. It will never be as much fun as the Big East tourney was because we were a big fish there and always felt we could win the tourney. Sadly in the ACC we are not on the same level as Duke and UNC...sad but true and I hate saying that...and most years we have not much chance of winning this tourney.

since we have been in the acc, we have been playing with one hand tied behind our back. not saying our program is up there w duke or nc year after year, but i do not doubt that we will have some up years going forward, and that eventually we will get some titles.

Will the ACCT now be in Greensboro for the next 5 years? If we don't have more talented teams than these 2 years, it won't matter where they play it. It will never be as much fun as the Big East tourney was because we were a big fish there and always felt we could win the tourney. Sadly in the ACC we are not on the same level as Duke and UNC...sad but true and I hate saying that...and most years we have not much chance of winning this tourney.

The ACCT is in Charlotte next year...

+1 on that. Im not overly thrilled about crowning Duke or UNC the Kings of NY either.

"Next year we should be much better", is the usual mantra. However Duke has the #1, 2, 3, and 8 recruits to contend with our #9. Maybe the FBI can save us, being they arent good at saving school children.

I’ve said for years that I think Washington makes the most sense for a permanent site.

Geographically centered.
Big city, tons of hotels.
Tons of other activities.
Major media market.
Not as expensive for fans as NYC.
Plenty of flights.
Drivable from most fan bases who need to get there (or leave) on the spur of the moment.
Shall I go on?

Brooklyn has been okay but DC could be nice roots and a nice year after year destination.

We are 5-6 vs Duke. Should be 6-5. See CJ Fair.

+1 on that. Im not overly thrilled about crowning Duke or UNC the Kings of NY either.

"Next year we should be much better", is the usual mantra. However Duke has the #1, 2, 3, and 8 recruits to contend with our #9. Maybe the FBI can save us, being they arent good at saving school children.
There's another forum that would be a better place for your FBI "humor."

There's another forum that would be a better place for your FBI "humor."

I avoid that drivel usually, but it is a fact that federal tax dollars could actually impact our program in a VERY meaningful way if the NBA team in our conference is hit with sanctions, and some of those players defect. Am I wrong? Or, do you think we will compete well with the #1, 2, 3, 8, and whatever other recruits Duke gets next season on our own? Myself, Im not exactly excited about it.

I avoid that drivel usually, but it is a fact that federal tax dollars could actually impact our program in a VERY meaningful way if the NBA team in our conference is hit with sanctions, and some of those players defect. Am I wrong? Or, do you think we will compete well with the #1, 2, 3, 8, and whatever other recruits Duke gets next season on our own? Myself, Im not exactly excited about it.
I think we'll compete quite nicely next year regardless of who Duke brings in. As far as I can see, landing mega-talented recruiting classes as Kentucky and Duke have recently doesn't guarantee anything.

I think we'll compete quite nicely next year regardless of who Duke brings in. As far as I can see, landing mega-talented recruiting classes as Kentucky and Duke have recently doesn't guarantee anything.

I agree to an extent, but some of us just get so sick of seeing Duke and UNC loaded every season that it gets very frustrating. Are K and Roy just that much better recruiters than JB and crew? Being the tax dollars are already spent, I dont suppose I'd mind seeing those 2 teams named.

D93DC97B-B4F0-4A68-8ED6-CFE721C25158.jpeg
the setup for the CUSA tournament outside Dallas is... interesting. (yes, this is one photo)

ACC likely to keep N.C. cities in tournament rotation

Swofford said the next “rotation” of tournament sites almost certainly will include Brooklyn, along with Washington, Charlotte and Greensboro.
Lucked into suite tickets tonight. Hobnobbed with a high ranking Barclays Center exec. He said they absolutely want to bring the tourney back in the next rotation. Sounds like work to do, but seemed quite promising for NYC once again down the road.

... it won't matter where they play it. It will never be as much fun as the Big East tourney ...

Sadly in the ACC we are not on the same level as Duke and UNC...and most years we have not much chance of winning this tourney.

PART A: Absolutely right! The BE tourney was the best. Kind of like a gathering of all the neighborhood gangs to see who's the best. But as a fan I feel like an outsider in the ACC. It's just not a comfortable geographic or cultural fit.

PART B: This year it's true...the Orange are not on the same level as UNC or Duke (and probably a few more teams around the country). But since when are we afraid of competition? We'll be back...and they'd all better watch out!

PART A: Absolutely right! The BE tourney was the best. Kind of like a gathering of all the neighborhood gangs to see who's the best. But as a fan I feel like an outsider in the ACC. It's just not a comfortable geographic or cultural fit.

PART B: This year it's true...the Orange are not on the same level as UNC or Duke (and probably a few more teams around the country). But since when are we afraid of competition? We'll be back...and they'd all better watch out!

Totally agree with you on Part A.

I was at the first BET in Providence and the last in 2013 and everyone in between, save the blizzard of '93.

The only reason I have been to the ACCT was because it was in DC where I reside. The only thing good about going to North Carolina is Pinehurst.

Last edited:
I’ve said for years that I think Washington makes the most sense for a permanent site.

Geographically centered.
Big city, tons of hotels.
Tons of other activities.
Major media market.
Not as expensive for fans as NYC.
Plenty of flights.
Drivable from most fan bases who need to get there (or leave) on the spur of the moment.
Shall I go on?

Brooklyn has been okay but DC could be nice roots and a nice year after year destination.

100% agree -- MSG is my first choice, but DC is the 2nd most natural fit. With a conference tourney, you want to be able to walk outside the arena, have access to mass transit, and lots of things to do in-between games. And every single school has thousands of alumni in the greater DC region.

100% agree -- MSG is my first choice, but DC is the 2nd most natural fit. With a conference tourney, you want to be able to walk outside the arena, have access to mass transit, and lots of things to do in-between games. And every single school has thousands of alumni in the greater DC region.

DC is a great location. I am biased but all the schools are very well represented here and it's clearly a major media market with a centrally located arena.

Totally agree with you on Part A.

I was at the first BET in Providence and the last in 2013 and everyone in between, save the blizzard of '93.

The only reason I have been to the ACCT was because it was in DC where I reside. The only thing good about going to North Carolina is Pinehurst.

Win a couple of games and that'll change.

Greensboro is terrible though. Arena in a bad neighborhood away from their "downtown," if you like the NFL experience of hanging in a parking lot then fine. Doesn't seem very basketball.

The whole “we need to be in NYC” thing just seems outdated. Once the games are on TV, does it really matter anymore?

Greensboro should strike a deal- play the tourney here more often, and we’ll let you write “New York, NY” on the center court sticker. Could work!

Last edited:
Conferences (and the NCAA) need to pay better attention to the “lots of things to do in-between games.”

The whole “we need to be in NYC” thing just seems outdated. Once the games are on TV, does it really matter anymore?

Greensboro should strike a deal- play the tourney here more often, and we’ll let you write “New York, NY” on the center court sticker. Could work!
This. I have yet to hear a satisfactory explanation as to why NY is so much better for us.