So much for Brooklyn | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So much for Brooklyn

ACC likely to keep N.C. cities in tournament rotation

Swofford said the next “rotation” of tournament sites almost certainly will include Brooklyn, along with Washington, Charlotte and Greensboro.
I just don't understand why Greensboro has to be in the rotation. Why can't the ACC grow past their little city with it's crappy arena? Charlotte is great, DC is great, Brooklyn is fine (MSG better) and Atlanta would be a great 4th rotation option. This isn't an 8-team local NC/SC/VA/MD conference any more, no matter how much the traditionalists wish it were.

I just don't understand why Greensboro has to be in the rotation. Why can't the ACC grow past their little city with it's crappy arena? Charlotte is great, DC is great, Brooklyn is fine (MSG better) and Atlanta would be a great 4th rotation option. This isn't an 8-team local NC/SC/VA/MD conference any more, no matter how much the traditionalists wish it were.
While the Greensboro Coliseum neighborhood is awful, the arena itself is not the issue. It’s been renovated several times and most of the seats are good, despite the massive capacity (23,000+).

While the Greensboro Coliseum neighborhood is awful, the arena itself is not the issue. It’s been renovated several times and most of the seats are good, despite the massive capacity (23,000+).

It's still there because of the large capacity Zippy mentions plus it's also the home of the Conference's front office. Flimsy reason? Sure. But I'm willing to bet a soft drink HQ'ed in Atlanta that idea does enter into Greensboro's desirability in the Conference's mind.

Yes.
Even though it dilutes the potential viewing audience.

I didn't realize that. That's the craziest darn thing I have ever heard of.

It's still there because of the large capacity Zippy mentions plus it's also the home of the Conference's front office. Flimsy reason? Sure. But I'm willing to bet a soft drink HQ'ed in Atlanta that idea does enter into Greensboro's desirability in the Conference's mind.
Oh I understand why they keep holding it there, just feel the conference needs to expand their mindset a bit. DC and Atlanta make so much more sense, and Charlotte is perfect, too. Just because the offices are there is definitely a flimsy reason. I did not realize it was 23,000 seats in the arena as it always sound so dead on TV, so I guess that's not bad at all. Still, the area and city do not compare to any of the other options discussed or used previously.

Yes.
Even though it dilutes the potential viewing audience.
Wow...That is something else.

I guess it's cheaper to run that way and there is a bit of novelty to it, but that is crazy. You can go back and forth between the two games I guess. They probably didn't do this, but starting them at 7 and 7:30, for example, would have been good for anybody that wanted to shuffle back and forth.

Greensboro will always be part of the rotation because it's so close to UNC, Duke, State, Wake. And UNC/Duke are what really counts to this conference in basketball.

Greensboro will always be part of the rotation because it's so close to UNC, Duke, State, Wake. And UNC/Duke are what really counts to this conference in basketball.
Under that theory, Raleigh would be in the rotation. Nobody ever mentions Raleigh.

How about Myrtle Beach? It’s close to something.

lots to do in miami early march. or ORLANDO ? Amway seats 19,000.

Don't forget that the ACC Corporate Offices are in Greensboro; no doubt in a strip mall with a Bojangles' as one anchor and Food Lion as the other.

Last edited:
Oh I understand why they keep holding it there, just feel the conference needs to expand their mindset a bit. DC and Atlanta make so much more sense, and Charlotte is perfect, too. Just because the offices are there is definitely a flimsy reason. I did not realize it was 23,000 seats in the arena as it always sound so dead on TV, so I guess that's not bad at all. Still, the area and city do not compare to any of the other options discussed or used previously.

I get DC, but Atlanta makes zero sense. That's SEC country. The ACC has zero presence in Georgia

I'm firmly in favor of continuing to play in Greensboro at least a quarter of the time. I don't like the ACC one bit, but it's refreshing that the league would hold on to one small bit of tradition in this dull era of extra-regional confederations (no sense calling it a "conference" when we play teams, especially in football, so irregularly) and tournaments played in generic Sun Belt cities and soulless NBA arenas.

I get DC, but Atlanta makes zero sense. That's SEC country. The ACC has zero presence in Georgia

Georgia Tech. It's split between the SEC Georgia fans and the ACC Georgia Tech fans. More Georgia fans but I would say the ACC presence is bigger than you might think there.

I just threw up in my mouth.

Nothing says marquee Syracuse basketball like prime time in Orlando in March.

The (hopefully) last time I was in Orlando was for the Champs Bowl. Best thing about that day was the bus ride. Correct Mad and Chip?

Georgia Tech. It's split between the SEC Georgia fans and the ACC Georgia Tech fans. More Georgia fans but I would say the ACC presence is bigger than you might think there.
Atlanta, for its size, is a poor supporter of almost any sport.

Atlanta, for its size, is a poor supporter of almost any sport.

I lived there for 11 years and will not argue with that at all. Horrible sports town except for probably college football.

hey i used to buy my tickets to the garden every year and pretty much count on staying til the finals. if not you're in NYC . if i'm a syracuse fan today and want to bring my family to the game i would likely plan on being knocked out 1st or 2nd game and would want something to do the next 3 days.