So much for Continuity... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So much for Continuity...

LOL, yep if I don't see all the warring factions hoisting a beer or two in early sept. then we can all start REALLY worrying.

Life goes on, program will be just fine.
All in all, it's still a great time to be an SU fan. There is plenty of adversity in every sport I follow, but lots of room for optimism as well. It's just that "with friends like these, who needs enemies?" gets old.

How do we know the offensive philosophy won't change at this point? If they miss on all the spread/k gun coaches and we are left with a lifetime RB coach are we going to keep the same offensive philosophy? If Anselmo (stays?) is our only connection to the NYC area are we still going to keep that area as a recruiting focal point?

At this point we shouldn't be surprised by any change.
Is offensive philosophy more likely or less likely to change with a completely new staff? Are we more likely or less likely to maintain recruiting ties with a completely new staff? Do you think Marrone locked Shafer away when he made trips to NYC? I would think a number of highschool coaches have had a chance to meet and get comfortable with HCSS, given he was the DC.

Continuity in systems, culture, and for the most part, coaching. That's what it means. Why is this so difficult for people to understand?

Tell that to Chip Kelly, Brian Kelly, and Bill O'brien

Of those guys only O'brien is a known NFL quantity like Marrone. There are major questions about Chips system working in the NFL.

I think we've underestimated how well respected Marrone was compared to those guys. They had more boom or big bust written all over them.

Is offensive philosophy more likely or less likely to change with a completely new staff? Are we more likely or less likely to maintain recruiting ties with a completely new staff? Do you think Marrone locked Shafer away when he made trips to NYC? I would think a number of highschool coaches have had a chance to meet and get comfortable with HCSS, given he was the DC.
1. more likely
2. less likely
3. not locked away but i do think he was probably brought in to close defensive recruits. I don't think he was pounding pavement kissing nyc coach's azzes. Maybe Ishaq and EBO's but...

Continuity in systems, culture, and for the most part, coaching. That's what it means. Why is this so difficult for people to understand?

And you know that the offensive system will remain the same, how exactly? Our whole O staff is gone.

And how will recruiting change as a result? Adkins was big in Cali/Georgia, etc. Will that change? Will we focus even more heavily in the Midwest, when we will be moving into a conference based solely on the Atlantic Coast? Will the ties to NYC/LI be severed if Anselmo leaves? Does our new head coach even care if they are severed (maybe he doesn't for all know).

But these are valid questions. I'm not sure why some have difficulty acknowledging that there are some questions yet to be answered and continuously attack those that pose these questions.

Why is it so hard for some people to admit that there are a ton of question marks surrounding our program at this moment. And depending on how those questions are answered will depend on which direction this program goes from here.

Just saying the program will be fine is not good enough. No matter how much of a Rah Rah good guy Shafer is there are still major question about his HC ability. Has no game plan on offense right now. And from the looks of the staff left over have no clear direction for recruiting.

And you know that the offensive system will remain the same, how exactly? Our whole O staff is gone. And how will recruiting change as a result? Adkins was big in Cali/Georgia, etc. Will that change? Will we focus even more heavily in the Midwest, when we will be moving into a conference based solely on the Atlantic Coast? These are valid questions. I'm not sure why some have difficulty acknowledging that there are some questions yet to be answered.

Fine. You say there are questions to be answered. That's true. You say hiring Shafer was "blind faith" and a "disservice " to the program. And yet you think SU should have gone outside for a hire, because in your mind continuity wasn't maintained because one player who has never taken a single snap for SU, and may NEVE have taken a snap for SU, changed his mind about coming here. I say Shafer is the only SURE thing in all of this. He is the only verifiably known quantity. We know him. He has worked here for 4 years. TGD, DM and the PLAYERS know what he can do. Anyone else was MORE of a crap shoot, not less. He may fail. He may be wildly successful. But it won't be because of blind faith.

no I answered you

They kept their coaches because donors kept them there.

Syracuse does not have that type of program.

You said, the NFL calls, you go. You didn't make any distinctions. If you want to make distinctions, how about Doug marrone is the one alum of the bunch. What's the excuse for Kirk Ferentz staying around w/ the NFL calling all these years. Marrone has the right to do what he wants, but let's not pretend that he had no choice.

Fine. You say there are questions to be answered. That's true. You say hiring Shafer was "blind faith" and a "disservice " to the program. And yet you think SU should have gone outside for a hire, because in your mind continuity wasn't maintained because one player who has never taken a single snap for SU, and may NEVE have taken a snap for SU, changed his mind about coming here. I say Shafer is the only SURE thing in all of this. He is the only verifiably known quantity. We know him. He has worked here for 4 years. TGD, DM and the PLAYERS know what he can do. Anyone else was MORE of a crap shoot, not less. He may fail. He may be wildly successful. But it won't be because of blind faith.

I don't believe Shafer is a verifiably known quantity as a HC. I HOPE he does a great job, but there are doubts. If you believe there weren't more qualified candidates, then I understand where you are coming from. Personally, I don't share that belief. Now hopefully it works out, and maybe I'll be way wrong in 3 years time from now. I hope I am.

But at the moment, I find it more than fair to have questions as to the direction we will go regarding offensive philosophy and recruiting. And again, for those that like to shout down any dissenters, I loved every minute of Shafer's speech and he's my type of football coach so this is not an anti-Shafer, he sucks rant.

Ferentz didnt go, and now he never will

Strike when the iron is hot

Why is it so hard for some people to admit that there are a ton of question marks surrounding our program at this moment. And depending on how those questions are answered will depend on which direction this program goes from here.

Just saying the program will be fine is not good enough. No matter how much of a Rah Rah good guy Shafer is there are still major question about his HC ability. Has no game plan on offense right now. And from the looks of the staff left over have no clear direction for recruiting.

I think that's the problem. There is a difference between having questions and the over the top sky is falling, we are screwed, attitude that people jump to far too easily.

I think people enjoy being pissed off - its more fun than patience and optimism.

I think that's the problem. There is a difference between having questions and the over the top sky is falling, we are screwed, attitude that people jump to far too easily.

I think people enjoy being pissed off - its more fun than patience and optimism.

Dr. Phil in the house.

I don't believe Shafer is a verifiably known quantity as a HC. I HOPE he does a great job, but there are doubts. If you believe there weren't more qualified candidates, then I understand where you are coming from. Personally, I don't share that belief. Now hopefully it works out, and maybe I'll be way wrong in 3 years time from now. I hope I am.

But at the moment, I find it more than fair to have questions as to the direction we will go regarding offensive philosophy and recruiting. And again, for those that like to shout down any dissenters, I loved every minute of Shafer's speech and he's my type of football coach so this is not an anti-Shafer, he sucks rant.

You hope he will be successful, but in the meantime, you are inclined to make it very clear that SU should not have hired him, that hiring was a disservice to the program, and your implication is that the FB program is up and going down the tubes. Got it.

Dr. Phil in the house.

That's cool. I see you didn't refute my points, so let me deduce that I'm on the right track.

Let's all resume bed-wetting and sad stories of our demise.

Four years ago, Holtz, Gill, and Edsall were the "known" quantities, the guys who may not be successful, but would at least assure you wouldn't fail, because the had proven themselves as head coaches. DM was the gamble according to folks here. Four years later, Holtz has been fire, Gill sucks - has he been fired? - and Edsall may be fired this year. DM turned SU around, and has been scarfed up by the NFL. Lesson: people here don't know .

You hope he will be successful, but in the meantime, you are inclined to make it very clear that SU should not have hired him, that hiring was a disservice to the program, and your implication is that the FB program is up and going down the tubes. Got it.

So I can't hope for success while also believing that we made a mistake and/or question the direction of the program as a whole? That's absolutely ridiculous.

Four years ago, Holtz, Gill, and Edsall were the "known" quantities, the guys who may not be successful, but would at least assure you wouldn't fail, because the had proven themselves as head coaches. DM was the gamble according to folks here. Four years later, Holtz has been fire, Gill sucks - has he been fired? - and Edsall may be fired this year. DM turned SU around, and has been scarfed up by the NFL. Lesson: people here don't know ****.

What does that have to do with Shafer and the program going forward? You make it sound like everything is Roses and nothing is wrong. Shafer can easily be a bust as an HC or be a terrific HC but we do not know yet. So saying he is going to be great and program is going to fine is just a guess. Just the same as saying Shafer is an awful hire and the program is doomed. The roses people dont see the other side and the doom and gloom people can't see the other side either.

That's cool. I see you didn't refute my points, so let me deduce that I'm on the right track.

Let's all resume bed-wetting and sad stories of our demise.

You're a newbie so I'll give you a pass. But go back and read some of my old posts. Nobody (besides Go) was a bigger supporter of Doug Marrone during the dark days of early October this year. I'm no negative nancy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom