So nice of Aaron Harrison | Syracusefan.com

So nice of Aaron Harrison

NKR1978

Living Legend
His game winner earned his coaches and athletic director $329,166. Nice to know he can't see a dime. Thank God the NCAA protects amateurism in college sports with its $10.8B television deal for the tournament.

http://deadspin.com/aaron-harrisons-game-winner-made-329-166-for-his-coac-1555196820

I think in 2010 or 2011 there were some rumors that at least one Final Four team was going to refuse to play. I don't think that would be fair to the fans who spent the money to travel to Dallas, but it would be immensely enjoyable to see all four teams figure out a way to gather before the games start and invite the media to watch them sell their autographs to fans. What would the NCAA do then?

SI has an article saying that the Harrison brothers will probably declare for the NBA now and that their play in the tournament has probably added more value for them than any other players. They had been considered as overhyped and under performing but the turn around shown in the tournament has changed the perception. From not even being mentioned in draft projections, they are now projected as late first round picks.

His game winner earned his coaches and athletic director $329,166. Nice to know he can't see a dime. Thank God the NCAA protects amateurism in college sports with its $10.8B television deal for the tournament.

http://deadspin.com/aaron-harrisons-game-winner-made-329-166-for-his-coac-1555196820

I think in 2010 or 2011 there were some rumors that at least one Final Four team was going to refuse to play. I don't think that would be fair to the fans who spent the money to travel to Dallas, but it would be immensely enjoyable to see all four teams figure out a way to gather before the games start and invite the media to watch them sell their autographs to fans. What would the NCAA do then?
The Harrisons will get their millions from the NBA. Worst case is it takes another year. I guess the coaching they got at UK that improved their play and the huge stage and publicity they get isn't worth anything either.

The Harrisons will get their millions from the NBA. Worst case is it takes another year. I guess the coaching they got at UK that improved their play and the huge stage and publicity they get isn't worth anything either.

last i checked, their coach was well compensated.

as far as getting their millions from the NBA, that has nothing to do with what they are doing right now.

NCAA is a joke.

They're both 6'5 guards who are fairly athletic and have shot well in the tournament-Wonder if they move ahead of Ennis

I think Andrew is really underrated and I would take him over Ennis. He had tons of help around him and still put up good numbers. Seemed to make the right play all Tourney long against very tough opponents and he's tough to contain going to the hoop.

last i checked, their coach was well compensated.

as far as getting their millions from the NBA, that has nothing to do with what they are doing right now.

NCAA is a joke.

What is your solution?

If he doesn't make it in the NBA he'll always have those classes that he got credit for at Kentucky to count on.

Not a bad deal though...got free room and board, woman, play on TV and got to show his skills and will get 4 to 5 million bucks for 3 years of work at the very least. Not bad for a semester of college.

Everyone fails to take into account things like title IX. If our men's team was to be paid for playing basketball the women's basketball team would have to be paid too. Then you have to take into account other sports.

Also if the coaches were paid less, because some of that money needs to go to athletes, then they would jump to the pro ranks more often. Would you take 1 million to coach college or many more to coach pro?

jvbj01 said:
What is your solution?

Let them profit off their fame like everyone else in the US is allowed to.

SmilinBob said:
Isn't he doing just that?

He theoretically might get paid, but his athletic director is actually getting paid.

Everyone fails to take into account things like title IX. If our men's team was to be paid for playing basketball the women's basketball team would have to be paid too. Then you have to take into account other sports.

Also if the coaches were paid less, because some of that money needs to go to athletes, then they would jump to the pro ranks more often. Would you take 1 million to coach college or many more to coach pro?
Title IX is about access to education, which would not be affected by playing players in revenue-producing sports (football, men's and in some cases women's basketball, and maybe baseball). The number of scholarships would still need to match the undergraduate enrollment.

Not to mention that the NCAA (the main supervisor of Title IX, along with the U.S. DOE) would not be involved with paying players. The ability of the NCAA to rule on eligibility based on amateur status (not played to play, participate in pro leagues) would have to be removed by the NCAA members schools.

In that scenario, the NCAA would only govern competition and the educational side of eligibility.

Don't worry, his money was upfront, with no contingencies.

Not only your points...but as shown on Real Sports a couple weeks ago. Making athletic accomplishments = more money for coaches, ADs means more shady practices to keep players eligible and APR up. College sports needs to change.

what's it cost to attend syracuse ? 60K ? you know many 18 yr olds making that coin working part time?

what's it cost to attend syracuse ? 60K ? you know many 18 yr olds making that coin working part time?

So it comes down to jealousy that football and basketball players get more than the average student?

Part time? I would imagine that SU basketball and football is much more than a 40 hour a week commitment.

"I would imagine that SU basketball and football is much more than a 40 hour a week commitme
nt."

so it's your understanding that our student athletes perform a structured practice/play 40 hours a week 12 months a year?
think i'll stick with my definition of "part time". you see the education and exposure is their compensation. fair deal.

big deal the coaching staff gets a bonus....what in the world did the kid get as a signing bonus to go to KY.

Cal takes care of his players

If he doesn't make it in the NBA he'll always have those classes that he got credit for at Kentucky to count on.

Not a bad deal though...got free room and board, woman, play on TV and got to show his skills and will get 4 to 5 million bucks for 3 years of work at the very least. Not bad for a semester of college.

This is why I don't give much credit to the argument that they are getting "paid" the value of their scholarships. What does a scholarship mean to a kid who wants to jump to the NBA after a year. He's there to get a degree in anything. If they could right to the pros, that's where they'd go. They are only in college because adults made a rule that they have to go.

This is why I don't give much credit to the argument that they are getting "paid" the value of their scholarships. What does a scholarship mean to a kid who wants to jump to the NBA after a year. He's there to get a degree in anything. If they could right to the pros, that's where they'd go. They are only in college because adults made a rule that they have to go.
What rule exists that forces kids to go to college?

So if Antigua was making $275K base, what does that suggest about Hopkins' salary?