So not only do we play Mizz on the road we have to play Temple to? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So not only do we play Mizz on the road we have to play Temple to?

On the bright side, we have a chance to get even with Missouri for stealing Harold Brantley.

There's scads more money in a football game than hoops.
No dispute in that, but if Syracuse went to somebody like Cincinnati or South Florida and said if you guys play 6 home games instead of 7 next year and play @Temple rather than at home we Syracuse will give you a future home football game, and will play a road game in basketball after we leave the Big East that may help us get the 6th home game.

I want to know the story behind Tulane...did we really voluntarily bail on the Home game? The Tulane fans think the payment was Tulane coming up in early season in basketball. Add this to the list.
I never believed the Tulane home game was scheduled for 2012 I thought it was for 2013 and there is no chance Tulane playing a road basketball game was the payment. Unless they want to play at the Dome for the next 5 years in basketball. That was a regular season money game that JB bought.

SU had no leverage. In case some of you don't realize it, it's March! Most schedules are done. You think we can just go out and demand a home game and someone will actually schedule it? We're lucky to get Missouri away. The BE has screwed us and the only good that may come out of this is SU can demonstrate damages resulting from BE mismanagement and use that as leverage to leave before their contractual exit date.

But TCU left in October. Can you really say the BE screwed us? We expected 8 BE games pre October. We knew in October that TCU was gone, so did we not then expect 7 BE games? What happened between October and February when WV left? And when WV left the BE is filled that hole with Temple, staying at 7 BE games.

Agree with this 100% you nailed it.

Exactly (King Otto Nailed It) the 2 for 1 could've been crafted to allow SU some wiggle room. Unfortunately our old scheduler (Rob Edson) left to become the AD at OCC. The good news is it is going to be much easier in the out years to build a schedule: 1 National Brand School (MetLife or Dome), 1 middling/lower BCS/or decent nonBCS and 1 dreckish MAC/Sunbelt/WAC or 1AA. Additionally, unless all the big boys decide to pay for 3 home guarantee games each season vs lower 1A/1AAs in the wave of 8-9 conference games...we should have better leverage scheduling with the NE/MW dreck. Another thing helping us is the Patriot League will be counters for 1AA dreck in about 4 years.

I never believed the Tulane home game was scheduled for 2012 I thought it was for 2013 and there is no chance Tulane playing a road basketball game was the payment. Unless they want to play at the Dome for the next 5 years in basketball. That was a regular season money game that JB bought.
I hope so too but then again I never thought we would do another Purdue type game in my lifetime.

No dispute in that, but if Syracuse went to somebody like Cincinnati or South Florida and said if you guys play 6 home games instead of 7 next year and play @Temple rather than at home we Syracuse will give you a future home football game, and will play a road game in basketball after we leave the Big East that may help us get the 6th home game.

Pretty sure the people in Cinci and USF want nothing more to do with SU after we join the ACC.

And no conference would ever allow teams to make side deals to tamper with their conference schedules.

not very hard?
the only big east team we beat is gone-
we have nothing on offense and nothing was done to help it
and its far from silly people not renewing tickets-

So you'd rather us be Schiano-era Rutgers?

Pretty sure the people in Cinci and USF want nothing more to do with SU after we join the ACC.

And no conference would ever allow teams to make side deals to tamper with their conference schedules.
This is incorrect when UConn joined the conference in 2005 they were supposed to play at the Dome, but the Big East went to Syracuse and asked them to play at UConn in 2005 in exchange Rutgers would play at the Dome 2 years in a row. Rutgers played at Syracuse in 2004 and was suppose to get them at home in 2005, but the Big East accommodated UConn to get them an extra home game. if we get another Big East team with 7 home games to play at Temple then we the Big East wouldn't care, but Syracuse would have to negotiate it with the other Big East team. Thus, if we offered them all a future home game without a return game and a home basketball game there is a chance another Big East could bite and we could get 6 home games.

If the BE wants to force USF or Cinci to give up a home game to accomodate us, that's fine.

Syracuse is not allowed to go behind the BE's back and negotiate its' own conference schedule. No team is.

This is incorrect when UConn joined the conference in 2005 they were supposed to play at the Dome, but the Big East went to Syracuse and asked them to play at UConn in 2005 in exchange Rutgers would play at the Dome 2 years in a row. Rutgers played at Syracuse in 2004 and was suppose to get them at home in 2005, but the Big East accommodated UConn to get them an extra home game. if we get another Big East team with 7 home games to play at Temple then we the Big East wouldn't care, but Syracuse would have to negotiate it with the other Big East team. Thus, if we offered them all a future home game without a return game and a home basketball game there is a chance another Big East could bite and we could get 6 home games.

We are Fredo now...not going to happen

My theory is SU is adding the Mizzou Clusterfluck onto the list of things to lower the buyout.

I lasted 90 secs over on the BB Board

Just when I thought I was out--they pulled me back in again.

So you'd rather us be Schiano-era Rutgers?

There is nothing wrong with scheduling a soft schedule now and again. Shady's problem is his "now and again" time period lasted 10 years.

SU had no leverage. In case some of you don't realize it, it's March!

Very true. But at one point it was October.

not very hard?
the only big east team we beat is gone-
we have nothing on offense and nothing was done to help it
and its far from silly people not renewing tickets-

The schedule is easier than it would have been if the Big East was moving forward in 2012 as it had planned.

I still say look at the bright side. Mismanagement by the BE brass may be the out we need from a legal standpoint.

Very true. But at one point it was October.
Wasn't the BE trying to get Boise in the door in 2012 at that point though? We just learned they were delayed to 2013 a few weeks ago. Same with Memphis, no?

Shouldn't season ticket prices be even lower with less games? Also, it's kinda silly that people are not going to renew season tickets because we are not playing Akron. Also, you can make the case that because there are less games, it saves us from a 25k fan game, and perhaps the people who normally go to just one SU game a year had less games to pick from if they would have gone anyways? it's like when Seaton Hall blocks out the top seats and only sells 9k max in a 19k arena. The fact is that we don't have the demand to have 50k in the dome every week, so if you have 5 games at 50k that's 250k seats available vs 300K seats.. based on economic theories demand could be the same or go up, but at least there is less pressure to sell 50k more seats.

Wasn't the BE trying to get Boise in the door in 2012 at that point though? We just learned they were delayed to 2013 a few weeks ago. Same with Memphis, no?

Yep and that's where Temple came in but all along it seem to be 1 team. Was just a matter of which one. Boise comes in, Temple doesn't even get asked yet.

Ill be there at the dome regardless, unfortunately you may want to tell the other locals to "take it like a man" because many season tickets are not going to be renewed over this.

In fairness, the tenor of your original post had nothing to do with the forlorn season ticket holders. Scheduling a bunch of shitty teams to ensure that SU plays in some -show bowl (likely a money loser anyway) isnt exactly building a program.

I want to know the story behind Tulane...did we really voluntarily bail on the Home game? The Tulane fans think the payment was Tulane coming up in early season in basketball. Add this to the list.

I cant imagine the home basketball game had much to do with it. I dont get the feeling that the Athletic Department has a difficult time finding minnows wiling to play in the Dome with the allure of that payday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom