so Now how confident are you with this team? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

so Now how confident are you with this team?

How confident are you?

• #1 Seed

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • #2 Seed

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • #3-4 Seed

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • #5-8 Seed

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • #9-12 Seed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Play In Game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NIT Bound

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters
we'd have to have a big collapse to fall to a 4 seed. even 2 years ago when we lost 4 in a row we still managed to get a 3 seed. id be very surprised if we're not a 2 or 3 seed.

And we all know Jimmy's record against John Beilein.

Yeah let's hope that doesn't comeback to bite us in the a$$ this year. This would be the first time Beilein would have the better team. Beilein is a hell a coach so coaching won't be the issue.

I'm not panicking at all, but with all that you stated if they hit their free throws we lose. That is being out played. Our defense was good last night but they attacked the zone better than any team this year. We are bigger and stronger and used those attributes to win the game. Our interior offense was not good if you remove the second change points our percentage would reflect that fact. Good teams find a way to win when they play poorly, so that is encouraging and no teams plays well every night. It shows a mental toughness needed to go far in the tournament. But that was not a performance that is going to beat a top tier team most nights.

"if they hit their throws we lose". Well I guess if we play the if and but game you're right. But instead of hitting 15/23 (65%) they would 've had to make seven more, an incredible 21/23 (91%) to win. Now if I play that game and say if we shot a modest 33%(7/21) from beyond the arc instead of 3/21 then we win the game by 18pts. Just saying. I'm learning to temper my emotions like Carmelo.LOL.

"if they hit their throws we lose". Well I guess if we play the if and but game you're right. But instead of hitting 15/23 (65%) they would 've had to make seven more, an incredible 21/23 (91%) to win. Now if I play that game and say if we shot a modest 33%(7/21) from beyond the arc instead of 3/21 then we win the game by 18pts. Just saying. I'm learning to temper my emotions like Carmelo.LOL.

^ if we were allowed to play that game with Free Throws - we would have at least one more National Championship.

Cotton hitting 6 3's in the first half kept them in the game also. Providence isn't a good team, but they played like a good team last night. We couldn't shoot for shitt and had 1 or 2 questionable calls in the second half (which led to baskets)and still won.

3pters are contested the defense can effect whether the ball goes in or not. Free throws are just that a free shot and if we have to go 15 for 16 to win a game we are going to lose a lot of games. Providence should lose to us even when they hit every free throw. The talent/size gap is that large.

I agree with you that if we have to shoot that well from the line we could be trouble. The thing is that they did make their foul shots. If they shot their season average they gain only one point. And if both teams shoot their season averages from the arc and the line then we win by 15 but that's what happens when you do the if and but game.

I agree with you that if we have to shoot that well from the line we could be trouble. The thing is that they did make their foul shots. If they shot their season average they gain only one point. And if both teams shoot their season averages from the arc and the line then we win by 15 but that's what happens when you do the if and but game.

Again you cannot the defend the foul line, therefore you cannot depend on the other team missing to win. They had a kid go 5 for 5 from 3 and we changed the way we were defending him and he never made another 3 in the game. Foul shooting is out of the defenses control. You are talking Apples and Oranges

Again you cannot the defend the foul line, therefore you cannot depend on the other team missing to win. They had a kid go 5 for 5 from 3 and we changed the way we were defending him and he never made another 3 in the game. Foul shooting is out of the defenses control. You are talking Apples and Oranges
"therefore you cannot depend on the other team missing to win" They only missed one more shot they they normally do. They shoot .........694% from the line this year. You can be the apple I'll be the orange. Okay. I give up.

We know a few things...

1. This team is good. Just don't know how good.
  2. Our defense is playing very well and is a strength for us.
  3. The offense needs to be more consistent, with better 3 point shooting.
  4. We will win at least 20 games, finish in the top 3 of the BE, and get a #1-4 seed.

Enjoy the ride people!

Last night I was also thinking, we're 15-1. Isn't it nice that we've won 15 games and it's only the second week in January? A far cry from 2007/2008 when we were sweating out selection Sunday (although we should have gotten in during 2007.)

"therefore you cannot depend on the other team missing to win" They only missed one more shot they they normally do. They shoot .........694% from the line this year. You can be the apple I'll be the orange. Okay. I give up.

The same can be said for us and we went 15-16. Hoping they miss is not a strategy even if they typically miss at a certain percentage.

3 seed. But which MCW will show up? Which Triche will show up? Which Southerland will show up? Which Rak will show up? Which CJ will show up? Which team will show up?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
The good news is that this team has shown it can win with only one or two of its key players showing up. I'm confident that won't be happening in March. But I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

I'm not panicking at all, but with all that you stated if they hit their free throws we lose. That is being out played. Our defense was good last night but they attacked the zone better than any team this year. We are bigger and stronger and used those attributes to win the game. Our interior offense was not good if you remove the second change points our percentage would reflect that fact. Good teams find a way to win when they play poorly, so that is encouraging and no teams plays well every night. It shows a mental toughness needed to go far in the tournament. But that was not a performance that is going to beat a top tier team most nights.
One of the problems with cherry picking a stat and applying it is it doesn't account for in-game situations. For instance, if Providence had made a better percentage earlier, SU wouldn't have had a 7 point lead, say 4 points. Then if that were the case Providence probably would not have pressed, because it is risky. Then they would not have stripped MCW, wouldn't have had the breakaway kick out for 3. And things could very well have just played out just as they did anyway.

Same confidence level as pre-season, when I argued with nearly everyone that we weren't top 5 or 10 material, more like top 15-20.

Inexperience and lack of quality depth at guard;
Inside depth and potential ... but in the near term inexperience and shaky offense;
Lack of consistent outside firepower, especially without inside balance to keep defenses honest;
Rebounding in the zone.

Most of this is turning out to be true. Right now, without Rak last night we loose. His inside game was the only thing that kept us in it ... and CJ had a great game. MCW was not offensively spectacular, but he didn't turn it over and didn't fold under pressure. Don't wish for him to start hitting all his jumpers and finishing at the rim ... b/c if he does he's gone for sure (he may be gone anyway).

Until our bigs arrive, we won't beat a top 20 team on the road ... as long as we're living and dying with outside jumpers and relying on the length of our zone to keep us in games (this won't be enough against elite teams).

I see almost no way we are not a 3 seed this year. Once we get to the round of 32...it will be a roullete spin. We dont really have anyone we can fully count on, cept maybe CJ. Then again, we have 3-4 guys who could also blow up at the same time and take us to the final weekend. Who knows.

I'd guess 3 seed with a tough ouster in the sweet 16 to a team that hits 12 3's

Yeah, I sort of see it this way as well. I also fear a team with a decent post game. If this team continues to win ugly then the Sweet 16 tough ouster may be an accomplishment.

Cotton hitting 6 3's in the first half kept them in the game also. Providence isn't a good team, but they played like a good team last night. We couldn't shoot for shitt and had 1 or 2 questionable calls in the second half (which led to baskets)and still won.

Providence was in the game through the first 25 minutes at Louisville and even led on and off through stretches until the ville pulled away in the 2nd half. Obviously the final, an 18 point difference was big, but it was at the ville and Cotton was just coming back. Both USF and Prov have done well playing against us the past few years so its hard to say we should have torched them on the road. On a side note- Nova has been playing better of late. I hope we aren't looking past. They do have a little size and could be a tougher match than you think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom