So now that we got Mintz are we going to mix in some man to man next year? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So now that we got Mintz are we going to mix in some man to man next year?

Or was thst just a tactic that we smartly used to help recruit this kid.
The zone works but watching Villanova go zone and then midway thru the possession switch to zone has confused Kansas this second half.

I wonder if we will mix in any man to man.
What the hell is man to man

Thinking of the below zone in 2023/2024..

Mintz
Taylor
Benny
Brown
Carey

With Bunch as the southerland 6th man and Copeland off the bench…

Thats A LOT of length and athleticism.

Thinking of the below zone in 2023/2024..

Mintz
Taylor
Benny
Brown
Carey

With Bunch as the southerland 6th man and Copeland off the bench…

Thats A LOT of length and athleticism.
Could be an interesting squad.

I will say at least we added the 1-3-1/1-1-3 wrinkle to the mix this past year. It added a nice change of pace. Using that along with the trunk monkey returning is at least something. I still don't understand why we never latched on to the Pitino approach using a 3/4 press back into the 2-3.

If he is I hope that means he leads us to a better than expected year.

Yep. We just really need Cole back, especially if the staff isn't going to search the portal for his replacement if he leaves.

I would just love to see us mix up the defenses like we did the last game against Duke. full court zones, full court pressure, different half court zones and some man to man. It was very effective.

With Swider gone and based on what JB has said in the past...and obviously I assume he was telling his true thoughts when he said this...

The lack of experience in the forward spot will be devastating to our zone.

With Swider gone and based on what JB has said in the past...and obviously I assume he was telling his true thoughts when he said this...

The lack of experience in the forward spot will be devastating to our zone.
M2m and 3 guard line up

Judah has zone experience from his time at Oak Hill, and it appears he’s good at taking away passing lanes and anticipating the offense. He has an instinct for it. If he closes out 3s faster than a light jog like we saw last year at Cuse, he will be a welcome addition to the zone. Add Benny getting starter minutes, and some athletic freshman getting spot minutes (or perhaps starter minutes for some), and the zone will look refreshed.

Hopefully JB switches up the defenses mid-game when something isn’t working. I would like to think he walked away from the Duke game realizing switching the defenses during the game worked great and kept them in a mismatched game, but I won’t assume so. That game was the best coached game of the year in my opinion, and worked against a fellow HOFer, so he could out-coach many other teams with those principles next year. Indiana game too (1-1-3 zone) - and both had in common adapting the defense to the other team’s offensive strengths. It will be very tough to game plan for Cuse in short weeks with a few days between games if you don’t know what defense to expect and if you have to teach your young guys multiple different attacking strategies.

Also note that the players barely practiced the other defenses last year. With practice, next year’s team could be a really stingy defense mixing 2-3, 1-1-3, triangle and two, and a bit of man.

The triangle and two hybrid might be utilized against these good-shooting teams next year. No open guard threes. That would make a world of difference in today’s game. Contested 3s and having to deal with Jesse inside with Benny helping - You’d love to see it.

There will be growing pains, but this could be a team that starts cooking with gas near the end of the season, and presents a big problem for unfamiliar teams in the tournament.
He has enough athletic players to press, and take time off the clock, forcing teams to have less time to run their offense, forcing bad shots.

I will say at least we added the 1-3-1/1-1-3 wrinkle to the mix this past year. It added a nice change of pace. Using that along with the trunk monkey returning is at least something. I still don't understand why we never latched on to the Pitino approach using a 3/4 press back into the 2-3.
Agreed. We saw an attempt to mix defenses this season, unlike the last several years. the 1-1-3 was a nice change up and was effective in spots. JB never played a 1-3-1. The triangle and 2 was a complete shock and, as such, caught duke off guard. There is a reason you rarely see the T-2 at this level... teams will destroy it inside once they have a chance to scout it.

The perfect compliment to JB's aggressive 2-3 is the 2-2-1 3/4 court press, IMO. You have to have very athletic guards to play that, and you can't really get away with an iron 5 playing like that. I would love to see it though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom