So... on another note... | Syracusefan.com

So... on another note...

SU2NASA

All American
Any Penn State recruits that Marrone should be calling right now?

I don't think you try to take advantage of a situation in which kids were abused in this fashion. If a recruit calls you, that's different, but still could look from the outside like our coaches went poaching. So I still wouldn't go near that situation.

What can the parents of their commits be thinking? I wouldn't want my kid putting on that uniform. And if I'm a high school coach, I wouldn't let them in my door if they still have their staff there in the next 24-48 hours.

No room at our inn, with us still after several high profile prospects.

I don't think you try to take advantage of a situation in which kids were abused in this fashion. If a recruit calls you, that's different, but still could look from the outside like our coaches went poaching. So I still wouldn't go near that situation.

What can the parents of their commits be thinking? I wouldn't want my kid putting on that uniform. And if I'm a high school coach, I wouldn't let them in my door if they still have their staff there in the next 24-48 hours.
I disagree.. if it's not us making the phone calls, it WILL be someone else.. I'd always try to beat someone to the punch.. What better a system to sell to their parents than our own given the scandal? I think it's the safest thing in the world compared to what they're seeing about PSU right now!

I disagree.. if it's not us making the phone calls, it WILL be someone else.. I'd always try to beat someone to the punch.. What better a system to sell to their parents than our own given the scandal? I think it's the safest thing in the world compared to what they're seeing about PSU right now!

Completely agree. It's major college football and obviously Syracuse is a better place for these recruits than Penn State. If we had a kid that Penn State wanted, do you think they'd be nice enough to sit back and let things run their course?

I think you have to wait until they're certain they want to open their recruiting up. This is a confusing enough time for a bunch of 17 year olds.

It just makes the verbals we have that much more secure.

Brantley, MacFarlane and to a degree Emerich.

If Akeel Lynch is one of the staff's final targets, well, that's probably good for us.

Any of their commits approach us, we'll definitely try and help, they can always greyshirt ;)

All I've read is that Noel Spence has stated through Twitter that he's going to stay away from the PSU mess. I know we were on his radar at one time.

I see nothing wrong with a softsell approach to any kids who committed to PSU & had us on the short list of just reaching out & letting the kid know that we are still thinking about them & wishing them well in whatever they decide.

I see nothing wrong with a softsell approach to any kids who committed to PSU & had us on the short list of just reaching out & letting the kid know that we are still thinking about them & wishing them well in whatever they decide.
so besides akeel lynch, no one.

Again, why softsell? And what does it matter if they had us on their short list.. I would personally call each and every one of them and determine if they're willing to hear me out.. The ones who are unwavering or not interested will say no. The ones who want to listen will open their doors..We can't take all of them anyway without burning a current commit relationship, so the abrupt approach will likely fair better anyway, because it just narrows your focus.

I don't understand why everyone wants to be so passive.. This is a or get off the pot world. Rarely does just sitting back and being reactive outperform the proactive approach. This is an opportunity to make a quick move that could help us upgrade talent. Everyone knows we could really use an upgrade at just about every position. Let's be really honest, the only person right now who shouldn't be contacting those recruits is Schiano and that's only because he may put his name in the hat for the position...Marrone could care less, so I say go for it.

Come on, this is nothing compared to how I would make our program the most corrupt in the country.

Again, why softsell? And what does it matter if they had us on their short list.. I would personally call each and every one of them and determine if they're willing to hear me out.. The ones who are unwavering or not interested will say no. The ones who want to listen will open their doors..We can't take all of them anyway without burning a current commit relationship, so the abrupt approach will likely fair better anyway, because it just narrows your focus.

I don't understand why everyone wants to be so passive.. This is a or get off the pot world. Rarely does just sitting back and being reactive outperform the proactive approach. This is an opportunity to make a quick move that could help us upgrade talent. Everyone knows we could really use an upgrade at just about every position. Let's be really honest, the only person right now who shouldn't be contacting those recruits is Schiano and that's only because he may put his name in the hat for the position...Marrone could care less, so I say go for it.
No recruit that we haven't had a recruiting relationship with yet is going to listen to us. They were set on playing for a big name head coach (we don't have one) at a state school (we are not) in front of 100,000 people (Not even close to us) for a top program in the Big 10 (we aren't a top program in the BE). If I had offers from Michigan and OSU and was committed to Penn State, I call them and commit there. I would laugh if I got a call from Syracuse saying "hey PSU touches kids you should come here".

No recruit that we haven't had a recruiting relationship with yet is going to listen to us. They were set on playing for a big name head coach (we don't have one) at a state school (we are not) in front of 100,000 people (Not even close to us) for a top program in the Big 10 (we aren't a top program in the BE). If I had offers from Michigan and OSU and was committed to Penn State, I call them and commit there. I would laugh if I got a call from Syracuse saying "hey PSU touches kids you should come here".

Not if we cut the kid a check.

If we call and the kid says no, big deal, the coaches pride is a little hurt, but no harm no foul... if we call and catch an ear, victory. Can't win anything if you don't at least try man.

If we call and the kid says no, big deal, the coaches pride is a little hurt, but no harm no foul... if we call and catch an ear, victory. Can't win anything if you don't at least try man.
We have recruits that are already listening to fill very very limited spots. There's no reason we even need to bother. Maybe for kids we are recruiting against PSU for next year, yes, but this year there's no reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom