So tell me about the newcomers for next year. | Syracusefan.com

So tell me about the newcomers for next year.

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
I've been so busy this past year that I haven't kept up on recruiting very much. I need something positive to get my mind off of last night's disappointment. With 6 newcomers, we are going to have a massive roster change. Who wants to breakdown our future hopes?

As a partial answer to your question, most of the speculation regarding the guard situation has frosh Tyler Ennis starting at the point. He is a highly skilled pg who has a complete game. Great passer, good mid range and outside game, and can take it to the rack. Love his game, not the athletic freak that MCW is, but has good size (6'3"), but has better overall skills. He actually has a jump shot.

Michael Gbinije is the redshirt from Duke. Another 6'6" guard. Hoping he will be an improvement over Triche. Another player with good overall skills and athleticism. Most see Cooney coming off the bench, which is a good thing.

Tyler Roberson, aka The Beast, is maybe the player I am most excited about. He is a 6'8" PF with good skills. He has an outside shot and can also put it on the floor. He is an excellent rebounder. I am hoping for a more offensively skilled version of Jerami Grant. I think Roberson will be the first forward off the bench, with CJ and Grant starting.

Chinonso Obokoh is a 6'10" center from Rochester. He is more of a project and is insurance if something happens with the center position. Likely redshirt candidate. Very athletic. Has a face up jumper and plays hard. Not very polished on the offensive end. I think in the long run will be a better version of Keita, but don't expect much for a couple seasons.

Ron Patterson, 6'5" guard was a commit last year to Indiana. Enjoyed a successful season up in New England prep league. Didn't have gaudy numbers because of the players on his team but I believe was the player of the year in his conference. Has a nice outside shot, can take it to the basket, and is a very good defender. Having an extra year to develop may help in what he can contribute next year.

Finally BJ Johnson, a swing 6'7" swing forward out of Phillie. His father is a frequent poster. Seems like a great kid with a good work ethic but I believe is young for his grade and has not physically developed. Another kid with great skills and potential down the road to be a big contributor.

great write up- buss i think is more like 6'3-6'4 than 6'5.
i doubt mike g is better than triche but he shouldn't have to be. with an improved more confident trevor, ennis and then mike g and buss we have depth at guard. mike g and bj give us depth at the 3. i expect cj and jerami to terrorize the acc next year and rak/dc2/keita to be a wrecking crew at the 5.

Finally BJ Johnson, a swing 6'7" swing forward out of Phillie. His father is a frequent poster. Seems like a great kid with a good work ethic but I believe is young for his grade and has not physically developed. Another kid with great skills and potential down the road to be a big contributor.

I would add, BJ is 17, and a clear baller already. He is my pick to be the Frosh Surprise next year. If I could make one suggestion to his dad, as important as everything is for BJ, work on his 3pt shot this summer. That's what the Cuse needs more than anything, and it would give him the best chance to see the floor early when you combine it with the skills he has already shown.

While I think it is unlikely that mg is better than Triche from day 1 it isn't out of the question he could be an upgrade, particularly offensively, by the end of the year. Maybe not probable but certainly possible.

Wasn't Gbinje in the McDonald's all-american game? Rankings don't mean everything, but he was a highly rated prospect out of high school and next season would be his 3rd year of college ball. He should be ready to go from the start next year. Cooney should make a big improvement as should Grant. Don't know how much the bigs will improve, but they have to be better than this year. I am hopeful that Coleman becomes a go to scorer next year. If he is something like Arinze, it would be huge for this team.

Wasn't Gbinje in the McDonald's all-american game? Rankings don't mean everything, but he was a highly rated prospect out of high school and next season would be his 3rd year of college ball. He should be ready to go from the start next year. Cooney should make a big improvement as should Grant. Don't know how much the bigs will improve, but they have to be better than this year. I am hopeful that Coleman becomes a go to scorer next year. If he is something like Arinze, it would be huge for this team.
Not the McDonald's game. I believe he was in the Jordan game, though.

Not the McDonald's game. I believe he was in the Jordan game, though.

Yeah - I think he wasn't eligible for McDs if memory serves me correctly. Could be wrong. But he was a legit top 30 recruit.

No, Patterson is Buss. Roberson is Beast, but not to be confused with McCullough, who is also Beast.

Also, CJ Fair is Thickburger.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Can we please nickname a guy "Beef Supreme" already?

No, Patterson is Buss. Roberson is Beast, but not to be confused with McCullough, who is also Beast.

Also, CJ Fair is Thickburger.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Obviously I need to start reading the recruiting board again and catch up on these names.

BJ coming in reminds me of when CJ was coming in. We almost all thought CJ was going to be a good player but figured with all the depth he wouldn't see much time as a freshman. Yet somehow CJ found himself on the court more and more that season because he was a very good all around player and the game wasn't to big for him. I could see the same thing with BJ next year. I know he is more of a 2/3 and CJ is more of a 3/4 but watching their High School footage I just get the feeling that they know how to play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom