So, the Astros cheated for two years. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So, the Astros cheated for two years.

At this point I just assume everybody cheats and its across so many avenues

- Recruiting in College Basketball
- Equipment for New England (and I assume other teams did deflated balls as well)
- Signal Stealing by Astros
- Cardinals Stealing Scouting
- Braves cheating on Draft Bonuses
- Clippers circumventing the salary cap by paying millions to Uncle Dennis under the table.
+ Patriots and Spurs with injury reports
+ Padres faking medical reports in a trade (Pomeranz)

I didn't know about the uncle dennis thing. That's real? I always wondered why owners didn't do that all the time. Like with Dustin Pedroia with the Red Sox now. He's owed 25 million for the next two years of his contract, but can't play due to knee injuries. But, he has to keep trying, to not lose that 25 mil. Which he's entitled to because he took a homer discount in his last contract. Let him retire, hire him to the staff (he really would be tremendously valuable), and pay him a coach's salary which doesn't count against the luxury cap... And slip him the rest of his money in t-bills or bitcoin or krugerrands or pork belly or orange juice futures or whatever the Dukes transact in these days.

Of all the major sports, baseball has a history where cheating is very much embedded in the culture/lore part of the sport. Spitballs, stealing signs, hidden ball trick, scuffing balls, etc. Players like Gaylord Perry are well known and even revered by some. Of course everyone cheats in every sport, but for baseball it is seen is a little more innocent/funny

Now this investigation is going to be extremely interesting. Never (at least to my knowledge) has a team ever had wins taken away or nullified. Will MLB "cross the Rubicon" here? I would doubt it because it sets a precedent where all sorts of offenses are fair game. My guess some hefty fines, and maybe suspending the coaches. Draft picks? That is possible too

I didn't know about the uncle dennis thing. That's real? I always wondered why owners didn't do that all the time. Like with Dustin Pedroia with the Red Sox now. He's owed 25 million for the next two years of his contract, but can't play due to knee injuries. But, he has to keep trying, to not lose that 25 mil. Which he's entitled to because he took a homer discount in his last contract. Let him retire, hire him to the staff (he really would be tremendously valuable), and pay him a coach's salary which doesn't count against the luxury cap... And slip him the rest of his money in t-bills or bitcoin or krugerrands or pork belly or orange juice futures or whatever the Dukes transact in these days.
Patriots with injury reports? Change that to the Pittsburgh Steelers who have been fined for doing that twice.

Clippers thing is strongly speculated, to be fair, not proven (and could be some bitterness on my part as well!). They did get fined for tampering last year.

Of all the major sports, baseball has a history where cheating is very much embedded in the culture/lore part of the sport. Spitballs, stealing signs, hidden ball trick, scuffing balls, etc. Players like Gaylord Perry are well known and even revered by some. Of course everyone cheats in every sport, but for baseball it is seen is a little more innocent/funny

Now this investigation is going to be extremely interesting. Never (at least to my knowledge) has a team ever had wins taken away or nullified. Will MLB "cross the Rubicon" here? I would doubt it because it sets a precedent where all sorts of offenses are fair game. My guess some hefty fines, and maybe suspending the coaches. Draft picks? That is possible too
New England gets blamed for everything but the JFK murder.
It was Pittsburgh

The Hidden Ball Trick is not cheating. I was the master of it in my teenage years and pulled it off in various forms about 5 times. Kids are stupid.

After walking a kid (which i did all the time as a terrible pitcher), I would point to the catcher to throw the ball to first. I would make sure to not be near the mound or even close to a pitching motion, the kid would take a lead off... and boom.

Then just the simple pick off plays at first, second or third faking a throw back to the pitcher, kid takes the lead and we tag him.

Also faking a bad throw on a stolen base.

None of this stuff would work in the majors. And I was in a small town baseball league against surrounding towns with some good ballplayers and some not so good ballplayers that we knew could be taken advantage of.

I will also add that besides the hidden ball trick, people on the field or bench manually stealing signals is not illegal. Using video technology, or people off the field to relay signals is illegal.

But I think the reason you don't here about this before, and lips were sealed, is that several other teams are probably cheating in some sort of fashion. I don't think only one team falls.

Here is a penalty I would like to see since the Astros players were involved in the cheating:
The Astros lose 3 roster players.
A lottery is held amongst teams that missed the playoffs.
3 winners get to select on player off the Astros roster.

Of course the MLPBA would probably not go for that.

Stealing signs electronically.

I'm not naive—not entirely—but it tends to take these kinds of stories/revelations to re-awaken me. I'm disgusted. What makes it worse is that the coach of my Red Sox was on that Astros staff in 2017. So, he had to know, and was probably a part of it. Which begs the question: how do you know about that going on with your former team and either 1) not do anything about it when you're competing against them the following year; or 2) not do the same thing with your current team?

In terms of #1 maybe HOU knew they couldn't pull that stuff on Cora last year. Sox did beat them after all.

Thought for sure I'd see IDEAL GAS LAW somewhere in this thread

Saw a story that Cora was actually the, or one of the, architects of this scheme. Have to wonder if his time in Boston is coming to an end.

Saw a story that Cora was actually the, or one of the, architects of this scheme. Have to wonder if his time in Boston is coming to an end.
Wouldn’t mind it if that happens.
He is a very arrogant manager IMO.
Won’t shed a tear if Cora is out.

It was Pittsburgh
I'm pretty sure if you look closely enough, the person on the right walking away is Bill Belichick.
1573770503626.png

It was Pittsburgh
especially, re: the Injured Reserved list

especially, re: the Injured Reserved list
Lol yeah they totally cheat the injured reserve rules.
That complaint is a joke.

At this point I just assume everybody cheats and its across so many avenues

- Recruiting in College Basketball
- Equipment for New England (and I assume other teams did deflated balls as well)
- Signal Stealing by Astros
- Cardinals Stealing Scouting
- Braves cheating on Draft Bonuses
- Clippers circumventing the salary cap by paying millions to Uncle Dennis under the table.
You’ll work your Clippers grief into anything, LOL.

I didn't know about the uncle dennis thing. That's real? I always wondered why owners didn't do that all the time.
Of course it’s not real. It’s conspiracy theory fodder for bitter Raptors fans who can’t accept that Leonard returned home to play for the team he rooted for when he was growing up.

yeah, they will. The Astros are going to get smoked.
The allegations against the Patriots led the nightly news broadcasts.
These Astros allegations haven’t been talked about nationally that much.
They are going to hammered but the allegations don’t have close to the same juice of the football scandals.

The allegations against the Patriots led the nightly news broadcasts.
These Astros allegations haven’t been talked about nationally that much.
They are going to hammered but the allegations don’t have close to the same juice of the football scandals.
Who said they did? But I expect the punishment to be worse that the Pats got. At least two first round picks. And while first round picks aren't exactly the same in the two sports, in football you get to spend the money on free agency that you would have spent on your draft pick. The astros draft well. plus, I expect large fines and a suspension or two.