So the leaf rakers showed up today | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So the leaf rakers showed up today

where were the students? For as much as people on this board want to complain about the home town crowd not showing up, the dome was full. I understand that it was homecoming which makes the student section being empty even more pitiful. It was a good representation today, by the crowd and the team
I’m a leaf raker, and a good one to. Been raking leaves for most of my 67 years. No, I did not go to the game. But, I’ve been to so many games that date all the way back to old Archibald, that I should have a statue of me at the main entrance way to the Dome.

Yup, I raked my leaves while smoking my pipe. I raked before the Florida State game, then watched the game on TV, and then after the game I raked some more. I love the smell of Autumn. I love the smell of the fallen leaves, and the pine trees that surround my yard.

Raking leaves is therapeutic. Heck, it’s great exercise to. And I tell ya, I can rake with the best of them. Why I can out rake my neighbor, and he’s 30 years younger than I am. My yards bigger than his to.

Nope, I wasn’t at the dome for the Florida State game. As a matter of fact, I haven’t been to the Dome for a game in the past three years. But this old, leaf raker knows more about SU sports than most. I’m an orange junkie. When I was in the hospital for an operation I told the doctor. “If I need blood, please make it orange.”

Yup, I’m a leaf raker and proud of it. Forgive me for not being at the Dome for the Florida State game.

It isn't fine when you have a half filled Dome for the opening kickoff.

Wait a few minutes and it's fine. I go to plenty of MLB games, same thing except if it's a playoff game. Think of it this way - you guys have created such a tailgating scene that people want to finish their last Blue and tubed meat of choice. :)

students were less than 50% of allotment

I'm not saying attendance was terrible, just disputing the OPs post that the Dome was full. It was not full. Considering the weeks leading up to it, I thought attendance was fine (as was the crowd noise). And you're right, Student attendance was terrible.

TexanMark said:
It isn't fine when you have a half filled Dome for the opening kickoff.

Those darn tailgaters are always late arrivers.

Locals are the only ones that do attend.
locals as you call us, can be to your surprise,some of us well educated. which means NOTHING. its about loyalty,bitching, second guessing, euphoria etc.we who have supported su through the years,archbold and beyond. we are townies,who have been invested in su long before,AND AFTER, most 4yr alums. the attendance that su does get very well may be from tipphill, northside,the valley,camillus,fayetteville,b'ville,ETC.
I’m a leaf raker, and a good one to. Been raking leaves for most of my 67 years. No, I did not go to the game. But, I’ve been to so many games that date all the way back to old Archibald, that I should have a statue of me at the main entrance way to the Dome.

Yup, I raked my leaves while smoking my pipe. I raked before the Florida State game, then watched the game on TV, and then after the game I raked some more. I love the smell of Autumn. I love the smell of the fallen leaves, and the pine trees that surround my yard.

Raking leaves is therapeutic. Heck, it’s great exercise to. And I tell ya, I can rake with the best of them. Why I can out rake my neighbor, and he’s 30 years younger than I am. My yards bigger than his to.

Nope, I wasn’t at the dome for the Florida State game. As a matter of fact, I haven’t been to the Dome for a game in the past three years. But this old, leaf raker knows more about SU sports than most. I’m an orange junkie. When I was in the hospital for an operation I told the doctor. “If I need blood, please make it orange.”

Yup, I’m a leaf raker and proud of it. Forgive me for not being at the Dome for the Florida State game.
we must be related!do you metal or wide plastic rakes!!god bless

locals as you call us, can be to your surprise,some of us well educated. which means NOTHING. its about loyalty,bitching, second guessing, euphoria etc.we who have supported su through the years,archbold and beyond. we are townies,who have been invested in su long before,AND AFTER, most 4yr alums. the attendance that su does get very well may be from tipphill, northside,the valley,camillus,fayetteville,b'ville,ETC.

we must be related!do you metal or wide plastic rakes!!god bless
lol. I use both.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::noidea::noidea::noidea::bat::bat::rolling::rolling:Oh LordOh LordOh Lord:mad::mad::mad:

You may be a curmudgeon if...

43000 and change. But thanks for showing up, oh wait. You'd rather sit at home and watch on TV and then complain about the people that didn't show up. Adios
I'm sorry but what gives you the right to call someone out like that. Why don't you "Adios". You may have the luxury to go to every game but not everyone is able. I'm not defending anyone but I would like to see if you drove 12 hours round trip every week. I bet you wouldn't. All hail kellysyracuse the greatest local fan around.

where were the students? For as much as people on this board want to complain about the home town crowd not showing up, the dome was full. I understand that it was homecoming which makes the student section being empty even more pitiful. It was a good representation today, by the crowd and the team

I drove up from DC for the game - and the Dome wasn't even close to being full. The student section looked meager at kickoff, but it filled in pretty well into the 2nd quarter. I figure the Dome was about 75% full, and the student section was 75% full, as well.

I'm sorry but what gives you the right to call someone out like that. Why don't you "Adios". You may have the luxury to go to every game but not everyone is able. I'm not defending anyone but I would like to see if you drove 12 hours round trip every week. I bet you wouldn't. All hail kellysyracuse the greatest local fan around.

I was just calling out the hypocrisy of some people that complain about the dome being empty when they in fact do not participate in the attendance numbers. I'm sure you'll get over it.

I was just calling out the hypocrisy of some people that complain about the dome being empty when they in fact do not participate in the attendance numbers. I'm sure you'll get over it.

Did you go to the Metlife game? Just curious...

The crowds are pathetic; locals, non-locals and students. Doesn't matter who we're talking about. The fact we can't fill up the Dome for the #1 team in the land is a joke.

It's more depressing that we will never be a big football school. It's slowly crushing the souls of the diehards.

There's no need to attack people on this board for not attending. Everyone on this board bleeds orange. We may have different opinions on how the team turns the corner but we are all orange fans.

It's not just here. Attendance is down everywhere. More games are on tv so people that are on the fence stay home and watch it. The number one team in the country coming in means nothing to the average person especially if they think we are going to get blown out. My girlfriend is the prime example. " sure tailgating is fun but why would you want to go up there and watch them lose and be miserable" that's what I get. We watched the game at my cottage in Canada and by the end of the game she even said wow they have potential. Never thought I would hear that out of her mouth. The bottom line is people will continue to "rake leaves" until the team turns the corner and win some games. That's the harsh reality of Syracuse football. Personally I cant wait to see the next game. Go orange.

It looked fine on TV, the crowd, whoever they may be, made noise. People make too big a deal about it.

Was at the game I'm a four down Makes noise guy so thanks for the support. Dome was pretty full for the game and definitely noisy when needed, always could be noisier. At kickoff it was a little disappointing as people were working their way in. I just don't like nooners because of this (weren't ACC noon games supposed to be 12:30s? or is that "ACC network" only?) People definitely filled in within 10 mins there were some pockets of silver mostly in the student overflow corner and visitor seats overflow area.

FSU did not travel nearly as well as Clemson noise or people wise. They could be heard, but 50% as many WVU fans made double the noise when we used to play Dub-V. I agree with the OP the student showing was sad against the #1 team in the country. Endzone Student seats and Back of the main studnt section never filled. The early leavers STUDENT and fan kinda surprised me in this game, down 18 going into the 4th quarter #1 team you have an outside chance since we were playing better on O. Interception probably caused much of it.

To give small credence to the opposite stance this crowd was not as large or as loud nearly as the Clemson crowd from last year. That crowd was coming off 2 straight dominant wins in the only two home games that year however, albeit against lower level opponents however. I also believe when the opposing team shows up in great volume it makes the home crowd louder because they get ticked off, like I said, decent sized FSU presence not as verbose as other opponents.

My Idea for the box office: Instead of opening sections and blocks for ticket sales open every other row or 2 out of 3 rows for sale, and leave out vertical columns of 2-4 seats at the 1/3 points of each section, then open more space according to demand. It will make the place look evenly full throughout, and give people more space to move around to enjoy the game. People will naturally spread out a little and fill the gaps where the columns are left and their presence will obscure empty rows behind them. This could be done in a systematic sporadic pattern applied to each section to make it less obvious too. Demand for 3 or 5+ tickets are filled by empty rows demand for 2&4 tickets filled by empty columns.

I started this thread because someone else complained that only 29,000 people were going to show up for this game. I think the whole premise is stupid to call out, especially if you don't plan on attending yourself. The tickets are about as cheap as you can get, $125 for 6 games. If the complaint is that you live too far away to be there then don't b*tch about attendance. Some people expect the dome to be sold out for every game when they in fact have no inclination of being there.

So we're left with those that live locally to make up at least 80% of the fannies in the seats, and that's being conservative. But the student section is mostly empty as was evident this Saturday.

Did someone conduct exit polling as people left the Dome after the game? Did they ask who those fans were, where they came from, how long they drove to get there, what was their connection to SU, etc? Just seems like a lot of assumptions are being made by some people in this thread about the makeup of the crowd in order to fit whatever narrative they want to forward.

It was a good crowd. Surely the locals showed up. It was also homecoming. Surely the alumni were there in numbers as well. Unless you have some hard data, you can't say X group made up Y% of the crowd, which means Z group never comes so they stink.

if they want it to look better on tv give less sections to the students since only 50% get filled. Alos adjust the donation structure/pricing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom