so the QB recruit at Florida... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

so the QB recruit at Florida...

The Athletic reports the school's NIL collective was offering him millions of dollars - for a 4 star? And now that the school has reneged on the deal does every recruit ask for the money up front? I guess they had to back off because the fund was well short of the millions.
We are cooked unless this thing gets reigned in.
Reigned in I guess! Syracuse and schools like us are now the new farm system for schools like LSU, Nebraska, Notre Dame, and any of the other football factory. Welcome to the Minor leagues! Thanks NIL!

I’ve said it, but I’ll repeat it. The fans have to ask: What services are these players providing to earn these exorbitant amounts? Make these NIL clearing houses provide specific information. Make the process accountable. It will still be ridiculous, but at least then everyone can see how big the beast is.
No one wants people to see how big the beast is. The NCAA, the school, the boosters & the player all have reasons to keep as hush hush as possible.

Doesn’t an athlete technically just have to make one appearance, post some sponsored content on Instagram, sign an autograph, or something else to that matter, and they fulfilled their “service” obligation?

Doesn’t an athlete technically just have to make one appearance, post some sponsored content on Instagram, sign an autograph, or something else to that matter, and they fulfilled their “service” obligation?
That’s the problem. No one knows. What’s the fair market value for a kid’s NIL? How about an NFL player? I’ve been asked for my autograph once. I got nothing. Obviously my value has been established.

As bad as the system is, the only way to support it or criticize it is to know what it is. Is a kid doing a car commercial for $10 million? I would think people would want to know that. Is an autograph session for a 18 year old college running back who hasn’t played in a game worth $2.5 million? Remember it can’t in any way be connected with playing for Ole State U.

That’s the problem. No one knows. What’s the fair market value for a kid’s NIL? How about an NFL player? I’ve been asked for my autograph once. I got nothing. Obviously my value has been established.

As bad as the system is, the only way to support it or criticize it is to know what it is. Is a kid doing a car commercial for $10 million? I would think people would want to know that. Is an autograph session for a 18 year old college running back who hasn’t played in a game worth $2.5 million? Remember it can’t in any way be connected with playing for Ole State U.
That’s fair. Seems like the collectives are purposely distanced from schools, thus limiting the NCAA’s ability to step in

Does $13M for an athlete sustainable? Who knows? I do think 7 figures a year is sustainable. Aren’t their politicians, and other noteworthy people, who ask $500k to $1M+ a speech/appearance fee? I don’t see the value in that, but others do

Last edited:
$13M over 4 years, is insane to hear. Then to have it fall through?!

It’ll be really interesting to see how it shakes out.

I know this, I know that we can’t compete with that.

I love that this is happening.

The article said he had a signed deal and binding agreement and further states Rashada's representatives could file a lawsuit against the Gator Collective and maybe the athletic department.

I love it.

The article said he had a signed deal and binding agreement and further states Rashada's representatives could file a lawsuit against the Gator Collective and maybe the athletic department.

I love it.
And they tried to lower the deal in exchange for releasing all future claims. Pretty sure 13m may not be sustainable is what we’re learning. Things will even out at some point.

Clearly the gators fan collective didn’t raise as much as they thought. And I think there’s going to be tons of scams in this market too. I wonder how much these organizers are paying themselves.

And they tried to lower the deal in exchange for releasing all future claims. Pretty sure 13m may not be sustainable is what we’re learning. Things will even out at some point.

Clearly the gators fan collective didn’t raise as much as they thought. And I think there’s going to be tons of scams in this market too. I wonder how much these organizers are paying themselves.
Look up the incoming Tennessee QB NIL deal.

I love it.
Me too. Popcorn in hand.

It’s amazing how the proverbial pendulum can never find homeostasis. For 70 years, people complained that athletes weren’t compensated for their value and that the NCAA wielded too much power. Now, you can almost make an argument for the old system over this Wild West nonsense.

This could get very interesting if the kid and his advisors have information tying the University to the collective. Then the NCAA could get involved if it is proven the University, through its employees, induced the kid to go sign with Florida based upon the collective NIL deal.

Not sure how smart coaching staffs are right now in distancing themselves from the collectives during their recruiting pitch.

Discovery in any lawsuit would be very interesting. Additionally, can the school use their release of his NLI (commitment) to hold off any future lawsuit.

New ground here which could have huge repercussions.

This could get very interesting if the kid and his advisors have information tying the University to the collective. Then the NCAA could get involved if it is proven the University, through its employees, induced the kid to go sign with Florida based upon the collective NIL deal.

Not sure how smart coaching staffs are right now in distancing themselves from the collectives during their recruiting pitch.

Discovery in any lawsuit would be very interesting. Additionally, can the school use their release of his NLI (commitment) to hold off any future lawsuit.

New ground here which could have huge repercussions.

Even if it's not tied together the simple fact that you're pitting the football program against the school boosters/collectives is high comedy. Napier lost his QB recruit which is a huge blow to the program and they're left scrambling.

Funny because the program is left scrambling and they're short QBs, the article mentions Wilson's transfer last season.

Even if it's not tied together the simple fact that you're pitting the football program against the school boosters/collectives is high comedy. Napier lost his QB recruit which is a huge blow to the program and they're left scrambling.
Competing interests of coach, program, and boosters has been an issue long before NIL. It’s why Auburn is such a mess and Texas can never get its act together.

That does not make it any less funny, of course.

Funny because the program is left scrambling and they're short QBs, the article mentions Wilson's transfer last season.
They're not left scrambling. They got a 2024 commit from DJ Lagway, a 5 star QB and realized they don't need to overpay Rashada who is projected to be a project who wouldn't see the field this season anyway. 2023 is a foundation year as UF is turning over what's left of the roster from the previous regime.

Apparently, neither can Florida.

Edit: LaMoyne beat me to it.

I'm happy that Syracuse is most likely leaning into collectives/NIL as options to keep kids from transferring rather than trying to get unproven recruits. I really do think 3-4 more years of big money and no return for the factory schools will drive down prices.

They're not left scrambling. They got a 2024 commit from DJ Lagway, a 5 star QB and realized they don't need to overpay Rashada who is projected to be a project who wouldn't see the field this season anyway. 2023 is a foundation year as UF is turning over what's left of the roster from the previous regime.

It's Florida their definition of scrambling is a bit different than mine, but the article above said Napier was scrambling. Other articles I read said they have 3 QBs on the roster for August. Wisconsin transfer Graham Mertz, Jack Miller and a kid name Max Brown.

The '24 kid is 2 years away unless he comes in and starts as a true frosh but he won't. And has he signed w/ Florida yet? Nope. So it's sort of like us having Sellers committed.

Rashada is also a 5 star QB and you're calling him a project? ok.

They're trying to land LSU transfer Walker Howard right now which shows what they think of their QB situation.

It's Florida their definition of scrambling is a bit different than mine, but the article above said Napier was scrambling. Other articles I read said they have 3 QBs on the roster for August. Wisconsin transfer Graham Mertz, Jack Miller and a kid name Max Brown.

The '24 kid is 2 years away unless he comes in and starts as a true frosh but he won't. And has he signed w/ Florida yet? Nope. So it's sort of like us having Sellers committed.

Rashada is also a 5 star QB and you're calling him a project? ok.

They're trying to land LSU transfer Walker Howard right now which shows what they think of their QB situation.
He's a four star. Florida knows they're going to be a young team that has a very low ceiling in 2023. They may be one of the youngest teams in football.

Its pretty interesting that the published articles basically confirm that his NIL deal was contingent on signing with Florida, exactly how the NCAA claimed NIL wouldn't be used. So appears that cat is permanently out of the bag and NIL is what it is now.

I'm not a lawyer, I will admit, but if there was a verbal agreement, then it is binding.
Detrimental reliance, fraudulent inducement,etc. People act on verbal agreements all the time. Could be federal lawsuit.
jgeorge was spot on.
Someone needs to pay that man his money.
IMO,he would not have had a case pre-NIL, since any inducements would have been illegal.

I’ve said it, but I’ll repeat it. The fans have to ask: What services are these players providing to earn these exorbitant amounts? Make these NIL clearing houses provide specific information. Make the process accountable. It will still be ridiculous, but at least then everyone can see how big the beast is.
Why? It’s no one’s business, other than the parties and the IRS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom