So then its really just about the tourney? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So then its really just about the tourney?

but it doesn't change the odds of feeling happy at the end of it (there are 2 teams)

i get why you play more games to figure out who is better but that's different than saying everyone has worse odds of being happy in a single elimination. this stuff is zero sum, winners are happy, same number of winners either way
I think that gets to happiness being in part measured by how you performed according to your expectation. So I probably stated it wrong before. Single elimination adds more volatility to expected happiness?

It's about the postseason. In every sport. The entire point of the season is to put yourself in a position to win in the postseason.

Starting out 25-0, and then losing 6 of the last 9, to end the year not making it past the round of 32, is disappointing, to put it lightly.

That's what it seems college basketball has become. We are no longer allowed to enjoy the accomplishments of a successful season. We are now beholden to the god of post season, specifically the NCAA. Its unfortunate it has come to this, yet I feel like it truly has. Hard for me to look back on this season without feeling like it was a failure...even though we were 25-0. I realize this is my problem...but it just seems like everything in the landscape of the game is sort of compelling me to feel that way.

The tourney is the most important thing, but I also derive satisfaction from regular season or conference playoff championships as well.

My goal for each SU team before the start of the season is win something of importance, regular season title, conference tourney title, or make a FF appearance. Unfortunately Maui titles just aren't on my list.

This season none of those objectives was attained.

Truthfully, I experienced more frustration with us being #1 when it was obvious that it would not hold and that we were a team in decline, because it made me focus on what should have been.

I love the entire season. If all you care about is the tournament then dont watch any basketball until March 15th.

I'm with you, Marsh. Love the journey [most years].

I've never resonated with "the only thing that matters is the NCAA tournament" crowd.

Last edited:
The goal is to improve. The goal is to build towards March and both Tourneys. It's the reason the regular season is played. For a myriad of reasons from lack of depth, flawed roster, fatigue, etc.; this season was a huge disappointment even in a pretty stellar ACC debut. Syracuse did not improve and gave two dreadful performances in post season play. That will be remembered more than the regular season for better or worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom