So this is the ACC Bowls Beginning 2014 | Syracusefan.com

So this is the ACC Bowls Beginning 2014

arbitragegls

All Conference
"The College Football Playoff starts in 2014. It has changed the face of bowl games. The ACC's traditional top game is the Orange Bowl. The Orange Bowl is included as part of the playoff's seminfinal rotation. Another bowl game is set to have the ACC's top pick outside the College Football Playoff.

"Russell Athletic Bowl in Orlando to get ACC top pick after (College Football Playoff)/major bowls," a BCS source told Matt Hayes of the Sports News.

The Russell Athletic Bowl essentially sits in the same slot it did prior to all of the change. The ACC recently signed a deal with the Pinstripe Bowl and a new Detroit bowl, but the Russell Athletic Bowl with simply move up the ladder as the league's top non-College Football Playoff destination.

The ACC also has bowl tie-ins with the Belk, Sun, Gator/Music City and Capital One (when a Big Ten team plays in the Orange Bowls."

Above from ESPN...note that this confirms that when the B1G plays in the Orange Bowl as a semi final, the ACC sends a team to the Capital One.

This line-up definitely is an upgrade prior to the new College Football Playoffs in '14.

What do you all think?

It's Good to be 'Cuse!!!

P

there will be a few more for the bottom tier likely military, new Detroit lions bowl , independence or Birmingham and partial tie in to beef

"The College Football Playoff starts in 2014. It has changed the face of bowl games. The ACC's traditional top game is the Orange Bowl. The Orange Bowl is included as part of the playoff's seminfinal rotation. Another bowl game is set to have the ACC's top pick outside the College Football Playoff.

"Russell Athletic Bowl in Orlando to get ACC top pick after (College Football Playoff)/major bowls," a BCS source told Matt Hayes of the Sports News.

The Russell Athletic Bowl essentially sits in the same slot it did prior to all of the change. The ACC recently signed a deal with the Pinstripe Bowl and a new Detroit bowl, but the Russell Athletic Bowl with simply move up the ladder as the league's top non-College Football Playoff destination.

The ACC also has bowl tie-ins with the Belk, Sun, Gator/Music City and Capital One (when a Big Ten team plays in the Orange Bowls."

Above from ESPN...note that this confirms that when the B1G plays in the Orange Bowl as a semi final, the ACC sends a team to the Capital One.

This line-up definitely is an upgrade prior to the new College Football Playoffs in '14.

What do you all think?

It's Good to be 'Cuse!!!

P
Disappointed

In what? Just trying to understand. Not enough bowls? Bowls not prestigious enough? Bowls don't pay out enough?
I guess with prestige but hardly any of our teams travel so I understand. Once the ACC teams start beating OOC oppontents more often things will improve. That's just my two cents.

I guess with prestige but hardly any of our teams travel so I understand. Once the ACC teams start beating OOC oppontents more often things will improve. That's just my two cents.

I think the Peach Bowl getting included in the playoff was a bit of a hit to the ACC's bowl prestige. That was a nice slot for the league, playing a top SEC team in Atlanta. But just one of those nothing you can do about it situations.

Pinstripe will be an upgraded bowl now that it's ACC vs Big 10, so that helps. Hopefully the same will go for Russell Athletic.

The playoffs definitely change the face of the "other" bowls.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/57757/sources-acc-agrees-to-six-bowl-deals

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9485181/acc-agrees-six-bowl-deals-sources-say

Here's how the lineup will look, according to McMurphy's report:
  • Discover Orange Bowl: The ACC champ will continue to play in this bowl when the game is not part of the semifinals in the College Football Playoff.
  • The Russell Athletic Bowl will get the next selection from the ACC of any teams that didn't qualify for the semifinals or Orange Bowl, sources said.
  • The Belk, Gator/Music City, Pinstripe and Sun bowls will share the next four slots.
  • The Gator Bowl and the Music City Bowl will each get an ACC and Big Ten school three times over the six-year period.
According to McMurphy's sources, the ACC's bowl opponents will be: Capital One (SEC), Russell Athletic (Big 12), Belk/Music City (SEC), Pinstripe (Big Ten) and Sun (Pac-12).

I like that we have an "in" to almost all six of the Florida bowls, even if some fall short of being a full-tie. Florida bowls are obviously great for travel. So far looks like we have:

-Orange Bowl (Miami). Our contract bowl, guaranteed a spot when not a semi-final (always a chance an ACC team would land there when it is a semi-final too), ACC Champion goes here. Versus Big 10/SEC/Notre Dame.
-Capital One (Orlando). Partial tie-in, will be our top non-playoff bowl when Big 10 is in Orange Bowl. Versus SEC.
-Russell Athletic (Orlando). Full tie-in, will be our top non-playoff bowl when Big 10 is not in Orange Bowl. Versus Big 12.
-Gator Bowl (Jacksonville). Partial tie-in, 3 of 6 years, split w/ Big 10. Versus SEC.
-Beef 'O' Brady Bowl (St. Pete). Partial tie-in, 3 of 6 years, split w/ Conference USA. Versus the American.
-Outback Bowl (Tampa) No tie-in. THIS MUST NOT STAND! No bowl can stand in the way of total ACC domination of the state of Florida!

Of course, with SEC & Big 10 locked into the Outback, their positions are looking just as strong in the Sunshine State. If you're a Pac 12, Big 12, CUSA, or American fan though, hope you didn't make any travel plans for Florida. Not too many slots for those guys in the above.

Also, rumors continue of an American/Aresco created Miami bowl at the Marlins stadium. I wouldn't be averse to sending our 8-10 slotted team there. Supposedly they're looking at the Pac 12 & Big 10 though.

I like that we have an "in" to almost all six of the Florida bowls, even if some fall short of being a full-tie. Florida bowls are obviously great for travel. So far looks like we have:

-Orange Bowl (Miami). Our contract bowl, guaranteed a spot when not a semi-final (always a chance an ACC team would land there when it is a semi-final too), ACC Champion goes here. Versus Big 10/SEC/Notre Dame.
-Capital One (Orlando). Partial tie-in, will be our top non-playoff bowl when Big 10 is in Orange Bowl. Versus SEC.
-Russell Athletic (Orlando). Full tie-in, will be our top non-playoff bowl when Big 10 is not in Orange Bowl. Versus Big 12.
-Gator Bowl (Jacksonville). Partial tie-in, 3 of 6 years, split w/ Big 10. Versus SEC.
-Beef 'O' Brady Bowl (St. Pete). Partial tie-in, 3 of 6 years, split w/ Conference USA. Versus the American.
-Outback Bowl (Tampa) No tie-in. THIS MUST NOT STAND! No bowl can stand in the way of total ACC domination of the state of Florida!

Of course, with SEC & Big 10 locked into the Outback, their positions are looking just as strong in the Sunshine State. If you're a Pac 12, Big 12, CUSA, or American fan though, hope you didn't make any travel plans for Florida. Not too many slots for those guys in the above.

Also, rumors continue of an American/Aresco created Miami bowl at the Marlins stadium. I wouldn't be averse to sending our 8-10 slotted team there. Supposedly they're looking at the Pac 12 & Big 10 though.

Well the Ack still has the beef though do they not

:rolling:

Ugh, I hate having a tie-in playing a mid-major conference.

What do you all think?

It's Good to be 'Cuse!!!

P

It's good to be picking up some more options closer to our footprint like the Gator, Capital One, Pinstripe, etc. I'm not familiar with this Detroit Bowl. The ACC has been going to a bowl in San Francisco and recently to another one in Boise, Idaho. Those games were too far away for many fans to travel to.

It's good to be picking up some more options closer to our footprint like the Gator, Capital One, Pinstripe, etc. I'm not familiar with this Detroit Bowl. The ACC has been going to a bowl in San Francisco and recently to another one in Boise, Idaho. Those games were too far away for many fans to travel to.

It's a new bowl. What's yet to be determined is the fate of Detroit's "other" bowl game: the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl. What's almost certain is that the Pizza Bowl will lose its venue in Ford Field and (perhaps just as important) its Big 10 tie-in. The B1G didn't even bother to hear a presentation from the Pizza Bowl this cycle, and the Lions don't seem interested in having two bowl games in their stadium. Unless they want to move to Comerica Park (Tigers stadium), which they apparently don't feel is feasible, I would imagine that bowl will be going the way of the Dodo. You can read more here.

Well the Ack still has the beef though do they not

Yes (see my original post). If they are successful in launching the Marlins Bowl, they would have two full time bowl tie-ins in Florida. Interestingly, the Marlins Bowl would not seem to be a landing spot for their champion. They seem to be holding out some hope of landing the Liberty Bowl for their champ, but that remains to be seen.

Ugh, I hate having a tie-in playing a mid-major conference.

I don't mind having a lower tier bowl game against a non-P5 conference, especially since our other Florida bowls are so top heavy. The Orange/CapOne/Russell are all earmarked for the ACC #1 & #2. The Gator provides a landing spot for #3-6, and Beef gives #7 and below a Florida reward for their players & a nice trip for fans.

I kind of feel the same way on first blush...but...

With the Peach and Cotton Bowl off to the big leagues, I'm not sure what it a prestige bowl any more once you get past the playoff/access bowls.

So the Alamo Bowl is prestigious now I guess? The Capital One bowl?

I kind of look at the prominence that something like the Belk Bowl or Pinstripe Bowl being a prominent bowl for the ACC and want to gag, but the PAC-12's #4 bowl will be the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl. The Big 12's #4 bowl will be the Meineke Car Care Bowl.

I like having some access to the Gator and Capital One bowls now, and we've got upgraded opponents in the Belk and Pinstripe Bowls. I don't know. Seems like and improvement.

I think we're going to have to just wait and see what bowls emerge as "pretigious" or not in this new system. I tend to think the dropoff from the playoff/access bowls to the second tier will be so great, there won't be a whole lot of difference between individual bowls on that second tier.

I just honestly don't know what to make of the bowls any more.

I think that bowls "prestige" is measured by 2 things - history (all the usual suspects) and payouts. Remember when the Fiesta bowl was a nothing bowl? As bowls move up the payout rankings, they will be deemed more 'prestigious'. Because as they move up the payout list, they will move of conferences' hierarchies, and hence get 'better' teams.

To all the most important part of the new bowl tie-ins is, play tough opponents from the top conferences, and win. If we play top schools, and win the games, the prestige will take care of itself.

...and here is more info on Gator and Music City...the ACC and B1g will each have 3 teams in six years at each of these...opponent most likely is the SEC regardless whether its the ACC or B1G.
Interesting that ACC is playing so nice with B1G after the Maryland steal.

Most of you knew this was coming, but it's now official: The Big Ten will share a tie-in with both the Gator and Music City bowls for games taking place following the 2014-19 seasons.

The Big Ten will share its tie-in to both games with the ACC, as both conferences want additional flexibility in creating bowl matchups. The Big Ten currently has an agreement with the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville, Fla., while the ACC has an agreement with the Music City Bowl in Nashville.

Here's how it will work: The Big Ten will have three teams in the Gator and three teams in the Music City Bowl during the six-year agreement. The ACC has the exact same agreement with both bowls.

The Big Ten/ACC opponent for both games has yet to be announced, but the SEC is expected to occupy spots in both games on an annual basis.

Being that I don't live within the ACC footprint, bowl games to me have always been about destination so right off the bat - not a fan of the Detroit bowl game. Unfortunate that the Sun Bowl is currently the only opportunity to play the Pac-12, El Paso is a crappy town. I understand that having essentially all the bowls in the Eastern or Central time zones increases fan/travel access so there are definitely business considerations here.

The ACC is looking at up to 11 bowls for 15 teams so there's a few more slots to fill. I'd like a game or two out west. Wish we could've kept a relationship with the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl. I'd like to see another bowl against the Pac-12 and/or Big 12 so we'd have 2 match ups with each power conference every bowl season. I'd welcome a MWC match-up if the destination was right.

I kind of feel the same way on first blush...but...

With the Peach and Cotton Bowl off to the big leagues, I'm not sure what it a prestige bowl any more once you get past the playoff/access bowls.

So the Alamo Bowl is prestigious now I guess? The Capital One bowl?

I kind of look at the prominence that something like the Belk Bowl or Pinstripe Bowl being a prominent bowl for the ACC and want to gag, but the PAC-12's #4 bowl will be the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl. The Big 12's #4 bowl will be the Meineke Car Care Bowl.

I like having some access to the Gator and Capital One bowls now, and we've got upgraded opponents in the Belk and Pinstripe Bowls. I don't know. Seems like and improvement.

I think we're going to have to just wait and see what bowls emerge as "pretigious" or not in this new system. I tend to think the dropoff from the playoff/access bowls to the second tier will be so great, there won't be a whole lot of difference between individual bowls on that second tier.

I just honestly don't know what to make of the bowls any more.

Pretty much this. The opponents seem to have been improved across the board and I like the pool system so that there will be some variety for matchups. Losing the Peach Bowl is disappointing because of the history but what can you do if it is upgraded to access status? I was holding out a slim hope that they would sign a partial with the Outback Bowl so that we would replace the SEC team when the SEC team was picked for the Orange Bowl. It would have been a nice dream counterpart to the partial Capital Bowl tie in.

Being that I don't live within the ACC footprint, bowl games to me have always been about destination so right off the bat - not a fan of the Detroit bowl game. Unfortunate that the Sun Bowl is currently the only opportunity to play the Pac-12, El Paso is a crappy town. I understand that having essentially all the bowls in the Eastern or Central time zones increases fan/travel access so there are definitely business considerations here.

The ACC is looking at up to 11 bowls for 15 teams so there's a few more slots to fill. I'd like a game or two out west. Wish we could've kept a relationship with the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl. I'd like to see another bowl against the Pac-12 and/or Big 12 so we'd have 2 match ups with each power conference every bowl season. I'd welcome a MWC match-up if the destination was right.

we haven't even been rumored for being in the mix for anything west of the liberty bowl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom