So today could be the day...huh? | Syracusefan.com

So today could be the day...huh?

44PRIDE

All Conference
The death of the Big East dream...

While no one argues that it has become a complete and total clu$terfuk, it's still sad to see it come to this point.

BE voting today regarding exit fees. Could be the final wedge between FB and BB. Rumors are that Lville and WV vote 'No', or don't even show up. Not sure where that rumor started, tho.

BE voting today regarding exit fees. Could be the final wedge between FB and BB. Rumors are that Lville and WV vote 'No', or don't even show up. Not sure where that rumor started, tho.

I wrote this in another thread.

If the FB schools vote "No" on raising the exit fees and the BB schools react by saying, "We won't allow any additional members and we have the votes to insure no invitations are extended.", then what?

Faced with this threat, the FB schools may have to vote "Yes" on raising the fee, Or face a future of having a 6-team FB conference and no BCS bid.

Checkmate! The BB schools have the FB schools over a barrel.

I wrote this in another thread.

If the FB schools vote "No" on raising the exit fees and the BB schools react by saying, "We won't allow any additional members and we have the votes to insure no invitations are extended.", then what?

Faced with this threat, the FB schools may have to vote "Yes" on raising the fee, Or face a future of having a 6-team FB conference and no BCS bid.

Checkmate! The BB schools have the FB schools over a barrel.

Ouch. This should be interesting.

The football schools are truly stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Luck is going to want to beat SU 80-0 next week.

If they need 11 votes that is likely the quorum
If no SU PITT WVU OR LVILLE no quorum then no vote

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

My guess is the football schools will abstain from voting with the end goal of delaying just long enough for the B12 (and Missouri) to make a decision.

My guess is the football schools will abstain from voting with the end goal of delaying just long enough for the B12 (and Missouri) to make a decision.

Doesn't matter. No vote is the same as a vote of "No".

Ducking a vote --- like the Wisconsin State legislators that hid out in an out of state motel -- may delay things a bit. But unless this is passed, there are not going to be any schools added. Not a single one.

This looks more and more like a Mexican Standoff between BBall and FBall schools...with the only solution being a split between the two.

I know that is what is being said, but am I having memory issues or did they not just have a vote a week or two ago about the same thing?

This looks more and more like a Mexican Standoff between BBall and FBall schools...with the only solution being a split between the two.

There won't be a "split". The FB schools have to withdraw leaving behind the Big East name, NCAA credits and $5M cash.

The FB schools at theat point will be a 6 team FB Conference and a 6 Team BB Conference. If they add the schools currently being considered, they end up with a BB conference consisting of the FB schools plus basketball powers like ECU, UCF and Boise State. I'm not even sure these schools have basketball teams.

If I was the F'ball schools and this wedge is what Marinatto and the Prafia want to do while the wreck is sinking and going down, I wouldn't even show up...

There's not much hope of them keeping the BCS bid with the schools be bandied about for F'ball adds anyways, and boycotting the meeting would = deathblow to the conference and Marinatto's utter incompetence.

I dunno... that would be a big decision for the remaining football schools, but they have two choices... both crappy... might as well take the one that puts Marinatto and the Prafia up in flames and relegates the league to the Friar Tuck basketball league the leadership has always wanted.

There won't be a "split". The FB schools have to withdraw leaving behind the Big East name, NCAA credits and $5M cash.

The FB schools at theat point will be a 6 team FB Conference and a 6 Team BB Conference. If they add the schools currently being considered, they end up with a BB conference consisting of the FB schools plus basketball powers like ECU, UCF and Boise State. I'm not even sure these schools have basketball teams.

Do the BBall schools have a vote on FB onlies? It would make no sense that they did, since it has zero effect on them. So why can't the BE add Boise St, SD St, Air Force, Navy, Temple, and one other team to get to 12/14?

Do the BBall schools have a vote on FB onlies? It would make no sense that they did, since it has zero effect on them. So why can't the BE add Boise St, SD St, Air Force, Navy, Temple, and one other team to get to 12/14?
I believe they do. That's why the FB schools were so pissed. ND and DePaul carry the same voting weight as WV and UConn. Everyone gets to vote on everything. Except us. Ahhhhh.

A split would likely only involve the NCAA credits. The only exit fees are the 3 * $5M that they'll get from Syracuse, Pitt and TCU... likely split among the 14 (including ND) or 8 (+ ND?) schools.

The FBs would add some more programs (all sports: UCF, Temple, ECU?; FB only: Navy, Air Force, Boise?), but they'd still have some issues.
  • On the football side the AQ status is still in jeopardy. Would they have exit fees? WVU, UL & Cincy would still leave at the drop of a hat. Navy won't join unless they did.
  • On the hoops side there would be no automatic bid. Not a terrible league (4-5 decent teams), but a bit small.

If the fooball side of the conference collapses....(whether it be from defection or secession)...does that mean we are still bound by the 27 month timeframe?

If the fooball side of the conference collapses....(whether it be from defection or secession)...does that mean we are still bound by the 27 month timeframe?

The only question that matters!

The Big East can add the schools you listed, but only if they have the votes. ANd the whole conference -- not just the football schools --- votes on new members.

The Basketball schools are afraid that the Conference will add these football-playing schools and then schools like WVU or Rutgers or Pitt will bolt, leaving the basketball schools in a conference with ECU or UCF or whoever, who are terrible basketball schools.

The basketball schools are wiling to add these new schools, but only if he foootball schools agree to new exit penalties.

The Big East can add the schools you listed, but only if they have the votes. ANd the whole conference -- not just the football schools --- votes on new members.

The Basketball schools are afraid that the Conference will add these football-playing schools and then schools like WVU or Rutgers or Pitt will bolt, leaving the basketball schools in a conference with ECU or UCF or whoever, who are terrible basketball schools.

The basketball schools are wiling to add these new schools, but only if he foootball schools agree to new exit penalties.

You are missing the point. Those schools I mentioned would be FB ONLY. Why in the hell would the BBall schools have a vote on that? Even if more teams split, it does NOTHING to the BBall schools.

...and then schools like WVU or Rutgers or Pitt will bolt...

I dunno if you heard, but Pitt is already leaving. I read it in the Post Standard.

The answer to that question is "Yes" --- we are still bound.

Our contract is with the Big East Conference and not just the football playing schools. As long as there is a Big East Conference --- even if it is all basketball-onlies --- we are bound by the agreement we signed that included the 27-month provision

I actually sympathize with both sides.

As much as I've railed against the narrow self-interest of the hoops schools, at this point I understand their position. I'm sure they think that they've 'endured' this 20 years of shuffling membership just to appease football schools that bolt the league as soon as they can anyway. Now of course the hoops schools have enjoyed the financial benefits that have come from being a non-playing part of a BCS league, but I do understand their frustration to some extent.

And of course we know first-hand the frustrations of being a football school having your future dictated by the likes of tiny hoops schools who have entirely different athletic missions. It still blows my mind that the BE gave equal voting shares to every school when it came to wildly sport-imbalanced things like media deals. Blows my mind.

Practically speaking, I think a day of reckoning might be necessary. Why on Earth would any of the football schools vote to increase exit fees when they potentially could be days away from an invite to a much more lucrative league? And if the hoops schools so disdain what football has wrought on their precious little Catholic basketball league, why do they want to retain these members?

You are missing the point. Those schools I mentioned would be FB ONLY. Why in the hell would the BBall schools have a vote on that? Even if more teams split, it does NOTHING to the BBall schools.
Doesn't matter. It's still the BE conference - not the BE FB and BE BB conferences. All schools got one vote, for example, to bring in Temple for FB only.

If the basketball schools play hardball and refuse even football only members then the football schools are done in 2014 because they won't have 8 members. However, it would be pure blackmail to force them to increase the buyout because Providence, Seton Hall, DePaul, Marquette would be saying to UConn we don't give a damn about your football program all we care about is expounding as much flesh as we can out of you and the other football playing members. Thing is the football schools can't split from the Big East because the BCS bid is written for the Big East Football Conference and if they don't expand the bylaws destroy the Big East bid. There is no chance this thing ends pretty either the football schools are PISSED at Providence or nobody gets into the Football conference and its over in 2014. The football schools should be trying to break the basketball schools and bite the bullet lobby Notre Dame, Georgetown, Villanova, St.John's, and 1 more school and tell them if they don't want to be stuck with Providence, DePaul, Seton Hall we need football members and propose a vote of no-c0nfidence on Marinatto. The reasoning would be because Marinatto only cares about is Providence College.

Our contract is with the Big East Conference and not just the football playing schools. As long as there is a Big East Conference --- even if it is all basketball-onlies --- we are bound by the agreement we signed that included the 27-month provision

Just think, we can play Pitt Home and Away (and Home and Away and Home and Away and Home and Away) all in the same season. Winner gets the BCS bid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom