So UCLA rejects 3 million dollar donation from Sterling | Syracusefan.com

So UCLA rejects 3 million dollar donation from Sterling

The money was to go to research for kidney disease.

Explain to me how this helps anyone?

People could actually die because of this.
most charities about letting everyone know how great you are. actually doing good is great but it's secondary. if you take money from a racist, it might further the cause but that means you are associated with a racist. Can't have that.

They were perfectly happy to accept his money before this tape so it can't be that they think the money is dirty - the money was dirty years years ago

I mean, I dont care if the awful people at Westboro Baptist donated $3 mil to some kind of beneficial research. Its not dirty money anymore once its put to use. Just my opinion.

kind of sad that ESPN or any other sports channel had no mention of this story about Shaq? At least I didn't see a story other than when I googled it.

Not for those whose kidneys are failing.
If they were saved by money from Sterling they have to live their life feeling indebted to a scum bag like him. Kind of like making a deal with the devil.

To add: Would you rather die or have Sterling come to your rescue?

If they were saved by money from Sterling they have to live their life feeling indebted to a scum bag like him. Kind of like making a deal with the devil.

To add: Would you rather die or have Sterling come to your rescue?
Umm... I'd rather have Sterling come to my rescue...? Sterling's $3 mil doesnt taint the entire donation pool for kidney disease research.

I mean, I dont care if the awful people at Westboro Baptist donated $3 mil to some kind of beneficial research. Its not dirty money anymore once its put to use. Just my opinion.

Incredibly stupid of UCLA - unless it was for some type of naming gift - but that doesn't look like the case. Similar to Guiliani's stupidity for rejecting a $10m donation for NYC by a Saudi prince after 9/11. Just makes no sense.

Unless UCLA was naming something after Sterling as part of this charitable gift its stupid. The man is racist ignorant fool, but people should look up who Alfred Nobel was.
He was a Swedish scientist and invented dynamite. After attending his brother's funeral in France the newspaper ran his obituary accidentally confusing Nobel with his brother.The obituary for Alfred talked about his invention of dynamite and is said to have brought about his decision to leave a better legacy after his death. The obituary stated, Le marchand de la mort est mort ("The merchant of death is dead") and"Dr. Alfred Nobel, who became rich by finding ways to kill more people faster than ever before, died yesterday. As a result Nobel was afraid of his reputation would be remembered as the creator of a horrible invention that hurt lots of people. So what did he do he donated a lot of money to charity and created the Nobel Peace prize so history would remember for peace rather than war invention.

Turning down the money is a joke.

I wonder if they'll hire a private investigator to do research on the rest of their donors. If they do, and they hold them to the standard they're holding him, they may need to find new ways to raise money. So he's a racist jerk. Take his money and do something good with without putting his name on anything. Without this story, no one would've known he donated to them anyway.

These donations are not accepted in a vacuum. If taking his $3 million means losing more than $3 million in future donations, it wouldn't be worth taking the money. My guess is this is the real issue.

With that said, my kidneys are not long for this world. If he wants to send me the money, I'll take it.

Last edited:
mob mentality is just piling on here. UCLA is only punishing the people who truly need the help.

stupid,were they afraid the sick would boycott them

These donations are not accepted in a vacuum. If taking his $3 million means losing more than $3 million in future donations, it wouldn't be worth taking the money. My guess is this is this real issue.

With that said, my kidneys are not long for this world. If he wants to send me the money, I'll take it.
so the charity isn't stupid, the people who would give to charities are stupid

i think the disgust at organ sales is dumb so i'm not really arguing with you, you might be right

longislandcuse said:
Umm... I'd rather have Sterling come to my rescue...? Sterling's $3 mil doesnt taint the entire donation pool for kidney disease research.

This makes too much sense for most people to comprehend.

lose/lose situation
We could look at it as win/win too. Money gets taken away from a real idiot (win) and is given to kidney disease research where it's needed (win).