So UConn wants major penalties to avoid paying Ollie | Syracusefan.com

So UConn wants major penalties to avoid paying Ollie

Alsacs

Living Legend

I mean how stupid are they. They did the NCAA’s work for them and can’t say we didn’t do it. They must have like no money.
My god the fact Glenn Miller tells them Ollie paid 30k and didn’t fire him immediately is a joke. No way they just found that out after Ollie was fired.
Hurley you chose poorly.

I mean how stupid are they. They did the NCAA’s work for them and can’t say we didn’t do it. They must have like no money.
My god the fact Glenn Miller tells them Ollie paid 30k and didn’t fire him immediately is a joke. No way they just found that out after Ollie was fired.
Hurley you chose poorly.
Their last two seasons are in danger of being vacated. Or so they hope.

Their last two seasons are in danger of being vacated. Or so they hope.
If I am Ollie and he loses his case against UConn he could drop some more crap on them and put their NC from 2014 in play.
If UConn doesn’t pay him his 10 million they are likely dead from the NCAA.

I'm having a hard time following all of this. Lots of stuff it seems. So who committed violations?

The NCAA will be so mad at UCONN they'll penalize Southern Mississippi.

AAC is hardly better than CUSA, so it doesn't really work

Pretty soon it will be the NCAA was so mad at "BLUEBLOOD SCHOOL" . that it penalized poor little Mercer, Cleveland St,, Wofford or UConn.

Are they dumb enough to self report things that would have never been caught in order to have current penalties, possible long term damages just to save $10 million.

Or were they being looked at already?

Are they dumb enough to self report things that would have never been caught in order to have current penalties, possible long term damages just to save $10 million.

Or were they being looked at already?
uconn athletics are in a financial spiral. $10m probably seems like a huge deal to them right now, but really it'll just delay the inevitable

Last edited:
If these charges were coming down the pipe no way Hurley takes this job when Rhody did everything to keep him and he could have waited another year.
If Hurley didn’t know he better have an out clause in case of sanctions.
As UConn is basically admiring they are guilty to get out of paying Ollie.
These charges can’t be false and then UConn have valid standing to fire Ollie for cause.
It’s either they are guilty and should get hit with sanctions or they are innocent and Ollie gets paid and UConn tried to screw an alum coach.

If these charges were coming down the pipe no way Hurley takes this job when Rhody did everything to keep him and he could have waited another year.
If Hurley didn’t know he better have an out clause in case of sanctions.
As UConn is basically admiring they are guilty to get out of paying Ollie.
These charges can’t be false and then UConn have valid standing to fire Ollie for cause.
It’s either they are guilty and should get hit with sanctions or they are innocent and Ollie gets paid and UConn tried to screw an alum coach.

Either way, I'd be having major second thoughts if I'm an rising star like Danny Hurley. Might be better for him to avoid this mess and any future ramifications altogether and take the year off, having his agent hit the market aggressively for opportunities as events unfold during / after next season.

Hurley should have known or at least have been prepared to deal with a real a mess there, whether all the specifics were out at the time of his hiring or not.

tenor.gif

Basically ... all because Ray Allen called a recruit and Ollie played a pick up game with a recruit?

I mean, it's not like NCAA sanctions could make things worse. The dumpster is already on fire and I think there's a steady flow of gasoline pouring in. What's the NCAA going to do? Toss some Roman candles in there for good measure?

If you don't count the 30k that Miller says Ollie paid for a kid.

"Miller also told investigators that his wife told him the mother of a player claimed Ollie had her paid $30,000 in moving and living expenses to be closer to her son during his playing days, but UConn is not pursuing that claim in its case because as far as the upcoming legal case goes, it has to be able prove all these things happened."

"Miller also told investigators that his wife told him the mother of a player claimed Ollie had her paid $30,000 in moving and living expenses to be closer to her son during his playing days, but UConn is not pursuing that claim in its case because as far as the upcoming legal case goes, it has to be able prove all these things happened."
he said that she said that she said . . . .
i wonder how much the uconn ad paid miller to peddle this

UConn might not pursue it, but won't the NCAA take a peak?

UConn risked an awful lot of dirty laundry being aired by assuming Ollie would just go quietly. It looks like he's going to drag it out which will make it ugly for both sides. I can't imagine UConn comes out of this clean - all to save $10M. I get their Athletic Department isn't making money at all, but depending what comes of this that $10M may have been the cheapest option.

Also, Benedict essentially getting rid of Ollie because of a Ray Allen phone call and a few workouts; this is the same person who was in a position of power when Auburn hired Bruce Pearl. LOL

Did Ollie’s contract say if you suck and stop putting effort into your job, you not only get fired but in addition your contract is null and void? If not, they owe it. Weird situation, wanting to prove that he wasn’t only a poor coach the past few years but they hired and extended a contract with an unsuccessful cheating coach and want it all exposed to save $. Scorched earth policy and certainly a unique strategy.