So UConn wants major penalties to avoid paying Ollie | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So UConn wants major penalties to avoid paying Ollie

UConn might not pursue it, but won't the NCAA take a peak?

UConn risked an awful lot of dirty laundry being aired by assuming Ollie would just go quietly. It looks like he's going to drag it out which will make it ugly for both sides. I can't imagine UConn comes out of this clean - all to save $10M. I get their Athletic Department isn't making money at all, but depending what comes of this that $10M may have been the cheapest option.

Also, Benedict essentially getting rid of Ollie because of a Ray Allen phone call and a few workouts; this is the same person who was in a position of power when Auburn hired Bruce Pearl. LOL

interesting battle for who runs a worse show, WhoConn or the NCAAholes

Still remember the UConn fans talking about the second coming of J.C. in the form of Ollie. I guess it was a false prophesy.

I'm not sure why UCONN is so concerned about a measly $10,000,000. After all, according to some of the Boneyard Solons the new AAC media contract is going to produce P5 -- excuse me, P6 -- level annual pay-outs.

Interesting reading the Boneyard. Most posters are behind Ollie.

Cherie's take on this looks right. Some at the Boneyard think he was offered a buyout and turned it down.

One interesting post said Fishy believed that the UConn posters were the only ones who cared about what was happening. :confused:

If these charges were coming down the pipe no way Hurley takes this job when Rhody did everything to keep him and he could have waited another year.
If Hurley didn’t know he better have an out clause in case of sanctions.
As UConn is basically admiring they are guilty to get out of paying Ollie.
These charges can’t be false and then UConn have valid standing to fire Ollie for cause.
It’s either they are guilty and should get hit with sanctions or they are innocent and Ollie gets paid and UConn tried to screw an alum coach.

UConn did about the stupidest thing imaginable to their basketball team.
Wow, they must be dead broke.

Basically ... all because Ray Allen called a recruit and Ollie played a pick up game with a recruit?

Those were the leading items in the press release, but there is more to it than that.

UConn might not pursue it, but won't the NCAA take a peak?

UConn risked an awful lot of dirty laundry being aired by assuming Ollie would just go quietly. It looks like he's going to drag it out which will make it ugly for both sides. I can't imagine UConn comes out of this clean - all to save $10M. I get their Athletic Department isn't making money at all, but depending what comes of this that $10M may have been the cheapest option.

Also, Benedict essentially getting rid of Ollie because of a Ray Allen phone call and a few workouts; this is the same person who was in a position of power when Auburn hired Bruce Pearl. LOL

To make matters worse for UConn, Ollie was part of either the teachers or state employees union, so there is a collective bargaining agreement in place that impacts all of this. This is going to get a lot worse for UConn before it gets better.

If I am Ollie and he loses his case against UConn he could drop some more crap on them and put their NC from 2014 in play.
If UConn doesn’t pay him his 10 million they are likely dead from the NCAA.

Well, that's Ollie's championship, so I don't think he's going to try to undo that.

If these charges were coming down the pipe no way Hurley takes this job when Rhody did everything to keep him and he could have waited another year.
If Hurley didn’t know he better have an out clause in case of sanctions.
As UConn is basically admiring they are guilty to get out of paying Ollie.
These charges can’t be false and then UConn have valid standing to fire Ollie for cause.
It’s either they are guilty and should get hit with sanctions or they are innocent and Ollie gets paid and UConn tried to screw an alum coach.

Hurley took the job because expectations were low.

The teams in the AAC took a step back other than Memphis who is young. If he gets a team with some talent into the NCAA's he will look like a miracle worker and get a new job.

At URI the talent level had probably peaked already. Get the raise, work 1-2 years at a big name school with no expectations, get another raise and move on to the job you really want.

Interesting reading the Boneyard. Most posters are behind Ollie.

Cherie's take on this looks right. Some at the Boneyard think he was offered a buyout and turned it down.

One interesting post said Fishy believed that the UConn posters were the only ones who cared about what was happening. :confused:
Oh there's no doubt. The buyout was $10M - it was something UConn could not really afford nor did they want to pay him. So i'm sure they offered him somewhere between $3M - $5M to go quietly. Ollie, knowing he had union backing and the belief he did nothing wrong, thinks he's entitled to the full $10M.

Let's be real - the "transgressions" UConn is citing seem fairly typical for major D1 programs. Ollie knows if he was winning he'd still be there even with those transgressions. If they went to the tournament the last 2 years he'd still be there, period. UConn put that ridiculous buyout clause in his contract and now in order to try to pay him less than he's owed they are willing to show the skeletons in their own program. Benedict and Herbst took a MAJOR risk thinking Ollie would take half his money and go away. Now they're in trouble

Did Ollie’s contract say if you suck and stop putting effort into your job, you not only get fired but in addition your contract is null and void? If not, they owe it. Weird situation, wanting to prove that he wasn’t only a poor coach the past few years but they hired and extended a contract with an unsuccessful cheating coach and want it all exposed to save $. Scorched earth policy and certainly a unique strategy.
The contract is pretty straight forward.

If we fire you for performance, you get $10M.
If you violate an NCAA rule, you get nothing.

Thus wanting to drudge up NCAA violations not to pay him when they really fired him for non performance. He called their threat and said ‘go ahead’. It’s all about the money.

Hopefully, he can cite similar clause with JC, dig out lots of violations, point to the fact that he wasn't fired, then throw in a racial discrimination claim. Glorious.

Thus wanting to drudge up NCAA violations not to pay him when they really fired him for non performance. He called their threat and said ‘go ahead’. It’s all about the money.
Exactly. Like I said the transgressions they're citing would be no big deal if he were winning. UConn wanted to fire him for losing but didn't want to pay the $10M so they had to come up with something. I assume they had the feeling Ollie would call their bluff and must have been confident that the transgressions were big enough to show just cause for the firing; but not big enough for the NCAA to come sniffing. Tough tight rope to walk on

Exactly. Like I said the transgressions they're citing would be no big deal if he were winning. UConn wanted to fire him for losing but didn't want to pay the $10M so they had to come up with something. I assume they had the feeling Ollie would call their bluff and must have been confident that the transgressions were big enough to show just cause for the firing; but not big enough for the NCAA to come sniffing. Tough tight rope to walk on

Will be interesting to see if Ollie reaches a point where he thinks he is losing the contractual argument based on the known and alleged violations, if he decides to burn the place down and unload other violations that haven’t yet been discussed.

If Ollie feels like he has no real incentive to hide other things that may have occurred, does anyone really think UConn knows all the violations that have been committed?? Based on all that we’ve seen and heard over the last year I assume compliance is a standard that everyone only meets until people have the right witnesses and look more closely.