So was the B10 invite never coming? | Syracusefan.com

So was the B10 invite never coming?

jr4750

All American
Or did we choose the ACC? Haven't seen a debate on that yet...

I'm out in the midwest, spoke to a Big 10 AD this week. He said Cuse, Rutgers, Uconn and Pitt all had offers, some conditional, from both the ACC and Big 10.
I have heard that the Big Ten agreed to take both Pitt and Syracuse as long as ND joined too. And ND is not joining the Big Ten.

I'm out in the midwest, spoke to a Big 10 AD this week. He said Cuse, Rutgers, Uconn and Pitt all had offers, some conditional, from both the ACC and Big 10

I talked to my buddy last week who is an MSU fan and tries to keep up. He thought the big10 waneds ND, Texas and Iowa St. (natural rival for Iowa) first and then would consider teams like Pitt, SU, MD and UConn for the east coast. He said our academics were in our favor but attendance size was not. He also indicated that people had told him they felt that ND would hold out as long as possible but already knows they will have to join somewhere and are looking for the best time to do that. Supposedly that is what was holding up the BIG10 expansion. I believe my friend but have no way of knowing how accurate his sources are.

I only know what I have said before, we have had discussions with both. Don't know if a formal invite came or was going to come from the B10.

I only know what I have said before, we have had discussions with both. Don't know if a formal invite came or was going to come from the B10.

This ^^^^^^

Even if/when we join the ACC, the Big 10 could still extend us a formal invitation. If that's really where we wanted to be that's less than 1 year of BTN TV $ to pay the $20 million exit fee. I'd rather us be in the ACC with more likeminded schools but if the powers that be see fit we could still end up in the Big 10 if invited.

Even if/when we join the ACC, the Big 10 could still extend us a formal invitation. If that's really where we wanted to be that's less than 1 year of BTN TV $ to pay the $20 million exit fee. I'd rather us be in the ACC with more likeminded schools but if the powers that be see fit we could still end up in the Big 10 if invited.

While the potential money is more in the B10, I am pretty sure the powers to be at SU see a better fit in the ACC.

No he is correct . . . unless you are simply saying that Notre Dame isn't going to the Big 10, which I very much doubt anyone yet knows.

I promise that's not correct on either front...

Big10 never made any sense for an eastern private school like SU

I promise that's not correct on either front...
Do you mean that the Big Ten gave Pitt and Syracuse definite offers, and that ND is going to join the Big Ten? If so, then Pitt and Syracuse made bad business decisions. The Big Ten + ND would be worth a fortune beyond what the Pac now gets.

Do you mean that the Big Ten gave Pitt and Syracuse definite offers, and that ND is going to join the Big Ten? If so, then Pitt and Syracuse made bad business decisions. The Big Ten + ND would be worth a fortune beyond what the Pac now gets.

I'm saying Pitt and Syracuse have not been given any kind of offers, but yes, Notre Dame is going to end up in the Big Ten.

I have heard that the Big Ten agreed to take both Pitt and Syracuse as long as ND joined too. And ND is not joining the Big Ten.

Don't know about ND not joining the Big Ten now, with the ever fluid and changing landscape. But yes, the word was last summer ND-Pitt-SU were tied at the hip.

However, that being said, it may have been more about ND wanting to remain independent and keeping the Big East afloat than it was a pact that all three remain in the same conference, whatever conference that is.

Cheers,
Neil

SU is better off in ACC, not the b10. the b10 was if we couldnt get into the ACC.

SU is better off in ACC, not the b10. the b10 was if we couldnt get into the ACC.

Institutionally - the ACC. Academically it's a wash. Athletically competitiveness - ACC. Athletically in terms of $$$ - BiG

The dominoes haven't stopped falling yet, but if UT does eventually go to the Pac and ND to the BiG (neither of which are a given), the ACC will be to the other 3 super-conferences what the Big East is NOW to the other BCS conferences.

And that has me a little bit worried. But at least we will landed in a "safe" spot.

Cheers,
Neil

Whoever invited us first is who we accept. It was the ACC

lets be a bit realistic...we are not a land grant university...we no longer a member of the research consortium that big 10 universities belong to; we are a smaller institution compared to the vast majority of the Big 10; we are a private institution...they are mostly public...they are strong in football...we are trying to get back to being average or better in football...our bball team would be the class of the Big 10...but the fit...based on most demographics and university values is the ACC....and the fact is...no offer has been tendered by the Big 10...(provide proof that they did)...and even if so; the ACC is a better fit all around...

B10 would have been tough, harder to recruit for hoops, and we'd never compete in football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom