So what did we learn from the spring game? | Syracusefan.com

So what did we learn from the spring game?

RF2044

Living Legend
IMO, as can be said about every season, it is all going to come down to the OL.

• QB -- better depth / talent / options than last year [forecasting a Shrader return to health by the start of camp]
  • RB -- lose Tucker, but the cupboard is hardly bare -- and Escobar / Parkman might be ready to contribute earlier than expected
  • WR -- last year, a position of total unproven commodities. This year, young but talented and DEEP. Last year's position of uncertainty could be this year's position of quality.
  • TE -- Clement getting in for spring practice / offseason workouts is huge for this position. Our weakest unit on offense.
  • DL -- deep talented, and several frosh might be ready to make a run at an already quality two-deep.
  • LB -- plenty of injuries this fall, but talented group with depth.
  • DB -- lose two quality starters, but lots of alternatives. Next man up.

Which brings us to the OL. Two known commodities as starters -- Cruz [emerging star at LT] and Ellis [needs to improve] at LG. That's it. Lots of question marks at C, RG, RT -- not good.

I think that More being enrolled for the spring accelerates his readiness curve. If he could lock down RT, that would be huge.

Bleich is perpetually injured, and true to form missed all of spring practice. When healthy, he could be a difference maker at RG. Problem is, he's never healthy. Will he be this fall, for the first time in his SU career?

Ialaoa manned the center position all spring. JUCO transfer J'Onre Reed wasn't able to enroll in January. He's the superior physical prospect, but how quickly can he learn the playbook and get comfortable?

Beyond that, we only have Bradford [who started the bowl game, when our OL was decimated by injuries], Joe Cruz [who played as a true frosh] and Petry -- who is limited -- with any game experience.

Beyond that trio, we have another JUCO transfer [Moeolo] who is big, but who knows how good he'll be, and two R-SO [Kauhi and Hoeh] who haven't gotten any PT at OL yet, so unlikely that either will crack the two-deep.

We also have two incoming frosh [Bass and Mack] who are big, but doubtful to be ready to contribute right away.

I have to believe that the coaching staff will leave no stone unturned to identify a portal transfer, now that spring practices have ended and there should be an influx of new entrants into the portal.

Seems like the season is all coming down to the OL. Again.

I think it's asking a lot of Reed to start right away. Given Ialaoa's experience it wouldn't surprise me if he's the nominal starter for a few games, we work Reed in a little, and then he takes over.

Definitely need to figure something out on the right side. Would be great for Bleich to get healthy and have More be decent.

I think we'll be ok.

Conclusion: if things break right, the offensive line could be more than serviceable. But that would necessitate Reed being ready from the jump, Bleach getting healthy for the first time in his collegiate career, and More seamlessly making the jump up in level of competition.

If those things all happen -- and not sure how likely it is that everything works out picture perfect favorably -- then it isn't difficult to envision the OL being solid. And then behind the starters, having Cruz, Bradford, Iaoloa gives us some depth. But we need the starters to remain healthy for everything to work out.

As things stand today, I'm not sure whether Iaoloa can be an adequate center (not saying he can't, just unproven), Bradford can adequately be a starting caliber option, etc.

I think spring practice suggested that More is legit, but not sure that we got too many answers otherwise. With so many other pieces of the puzzle seemingly in place, and better depth than we've enjoyed in a long time at most other positional units, it seems that everything again hinges upon the OL, their health, and depth.

OL is definitely the question and as Money and a few others pointed out yesterday, it would probably be good to find a CB in the portal. Unless the line is 2019 bad(and even that garbage team won 5 games) this is a bowl team and the OL will determine what bowl team means, whether that is 6 wins or 8 wins.

In theory we could rotate the OL the first two games. So we don't need to make a final decision until Purdue week.

1682303737988.jpeg

I think we learned that spring games, while fun, are also kinda stupid
Was this fun? My wife and I left early. I got almost nothing from it. One handed touch/thud yawn factory. Fact is, I'm not sure I ever truly enjoyed these events myself. It was always about a fun day with the kids. Now one's at Canisius and the other had no interest after his own lax practice. My kids used to love getting autographs and running around on the field for a few minutes. Neither of which even seems to be a thing anymore. Come down to the railing to meet the players? Aye. I remember when Grob did thud drills to avoid injuries. We tackled for dookie. I sincerely hope Babers isn't going the safe route too leading to issues later on.

Was this fun? My wife and I left early. I got almost nothing from it. One handed touch/thud yawn factory. Fact is, I'm not sure I ever truly enjoyed these events myself. It was always about a fun day with the kids. Now one's at Canisius and the other had no interest after his own lax practice. My kids used to love getting autographs and running around on the field for a few minutes. Neither of which even seems to be a thing anymore. Come down to the railing to meet the players? Aye. I remember when Grob did thud drills to avoid injuries. We tackled for dookie. I sincerely hope Babers isn't going the safe route too leading to issues later on.

First year they haven’t allowed the kids in the field after the game and the security guards after on the rails were not pleasant to the kids trying to get signatures

They also said the team would walk around the outside of the rails, most did not.

Really bothered me this change in the spring game…….and after sticking around till the bitter end, don’t believe this was on Dino, as he was the absolute last off the field. Him and Lequint Allen stayed till the bitter end

They had security guards yelling at them and finally Lequint looked at the security guards and told them to chill and that he needed to sign the autographs for the kids

It was one on field security guard “Ron” in particular who was being very pushy to the players and the kids in the stands about getting off the field

What I learned is that Allen is competitive and took a playful (I hope) swat at a defensive player. I know this may be an odd comparison but he reminds me of Sherm. The player, not the poster.

First year they haven’t allowed the kids in the field after the game and the security guards after on the rails were not pleasant to the kids trying to get signatures

They also said the team would walk around the outside of the rails, most did not.

Really bothered me this change in the spring game…….and after sticking around till the bitter end, don’t believe this was on Dino, as he was the absolute last off the field. Him and Lequint Allen stayed till the bitter end

They had security guards yelling at them and finally Lequint looked at the security guards and told them to chill and that he needed to sign the autographs for the kids

It was one on field security guard “Ron” in particular who was being very pushy to the players and the kids in the stands about getting off the field

Lequint signed my kids' stuff...twice! Because they forgot they already got his autograph, and he remembered as he jokingly said something about already signing, but signed again!

He was definitely there until the end and very pleasant with the kids. One of my sons said to me, "number 20 was the nicest. He said "what's up" to everyone asking for his autograph." So he made a good impression on my 7 year old.

Unfortunate they didn't allow for the on field stuff. I understand it makes for a longer day for players/coaches, but this is the type of event where you quite literally grow the fanbase. My kids want to watch Lequint play because of this.

Lequint signed my kids' stuff...twice! Because they forgot they already got his autograph, and he remembered as he jokingly said something about already signing, but signed again!

He was definitely there until the end and very pleasant with the kids. One of my sons said to me, "number 20 was the nicest. He said "what's up" to everyone asking for his autograph." So he made a good impression on my 7 year old.

Unfortunate they didn't allow for the on field stuff. I understand it makes for a longer day for players/coaches, but this is the type of event where you quite literally grow the fanbase. My kids want to watch Lequint play because of this.

Yup, I thanked Lequint multiple times at the end for staying to make sure he signed every single kids stuff.

Really impressed by that young man for sure!

The SB Nation site has a good write-up on what SUA needs to do to improve perception and participation from locals for the Spring Game.

Perhaps Lequint should be a nominee for consideration of the Fine Mess 2023 NIL choice

He has multiple years of eligibility left
He has multiple reports of great off the field character (particularly this report, but i have heard others)
He came on board as a high profile recruit, knowing he would be a backup at least 1 year (NJ POY)

He is not lower profile like we like but he checks all the other boxes I think?

You treat kids well, and even stick up for them to grumpy security guards and you get major points in my book

The SB Nation site has a good write-up on what SUA needs to do to improve perception and participation from locals for the Spring Game.
Spring Games are a dying concept everywhere. Coaches hate them, fan interest outside of us weirdos is lukewarm, etc.

Let's face it. SU is awful at these events.
Absolutely. Whether it's the "Midnight Madness" or the Spring Game, there are a number of ways to make these better. It's viewed as an afterthought.

They didn’t even have a lax game the next day to worry about getting the field ready. Syracuse University athletics and the school's administration are often its own worst enemy.

Absolutely. Whether it's the "Midnight Madness" or the Spring Game, there are a number of ways to make these better. It's viewed as an afterthought.
Or it's just diminishing returns and fans aren't all that interested in exhibitions and glorified pep rallies.

Or it's just diminishing returns and fans aren't all that interested in exhibitions and glorified pep rallies.
I disagree. As the article noted, invite the youth organizations in the area and move it from Friday night. The last thing I want to do is go out after work.

We learned that Dino and the AD are having a competition to see who can make the spring game less interesting for fans.

I mean come on. If you’re forced to have it, and don’t want to risk injuries, then make it a fan affair.

Bring back alumni

Entertain kids

Make things exciting.

Zero hype around this and 3-4000 fans still showed up. Why not try to capitalize on something you’re forced to have?

This AD regime just comes off as lazy to me often

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom