So what do we know about UConn? | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

So what do we know about UConn?

Tucker might play waaaay more than people expect if Dino and crew are trying to run up his numbers for the sake of the Heisman
Yep...Dino would love Tuck to roll for 150/200 this game on the ground and 3/4 TDs. To be clear he wants that every game but UConn should be used to pad his totals early.

Most of the best rivalries are a result of geography.
Not always so; Cuse / Georgetown says hello, Notre Dame / USC, I don't think that Clemson likes Bama.

Last edited:
I will be really annoyed with Dino if even 0.00000001% of his gameplan is related to individual awards.
yes indeed. Tucker is our most dominant player since Freeney, don't mess with this

The basis of the SU/UCONN rivalry is basketball. In other rivalries it starts with one sport and extends to all the other sports eventually. UMASS and UCONN should definitely look to make their sports teams the main rivals of the other, they have played each other since the 1800's. Who is the Oranges main rival, BC? That doesn't really fire up much passion. PITT, about the same.
We dont play UConn frequently enough in any sport to have a rivalry. The fact we don't have any good rivals isn't enough to make UConn our rival, particularly since we don't play them very often.

Bill, my main point is, why is it such a bad idea to pump the breaks a bit instead of building these wild expectations based on 1 game? If it's a tough game, which it could well be, and Syracuse gets the win, what's wrong with that? As far as the rivalry thing goes, Syracuse needs to put the past behind them and look to the future.
My expectations of destroying this awful team were set well before we beat 'Ville. The talent disparity is huge. They have a better coach now, but have been run badly for years. Last weeks game and the UCONN games thus far further the narrative.

I suspect you are not well versed in the OP’s full body of work. This is not even in the Top 100 of his “most ridiculous takes.”

Fair enough and no not all new to his schtick on this or the hoops board. Let's say "this week" then.

Reactions: 007
I will be really annoyed with Dino if even 0.00000001% of his gameplan is related to individual awards.
Dino flat out said that he did just that on his show last night.

Mora is a good coach. Hes the best thing they have. Hes Dougie smart and will have them prepared. I expect them to try and run it down our throats and take an occasional shot.
We just need to keep everything in front of us. They might keep it close doing this for a quarter but they wont stop us on O. Once we get up by a couple of scores Mora will have a choice to make. Keep running the ball and keep it within 25 or try to play catch up and risk getting destroyed.
Hes smart and will run the ball all game. Its his only play.

On O nothing fancy. Same as last week. Nice blend no dumb mistakes and we cruise

The basis of the SU/UCONN rivalry is basketball. In other rivalries it starts with one sport and extends to all the other sports eventually. UMASS and UCONN should definitely look to make their sports teams the main rivals of the other, they have played each other since the 1800's. Who is the Oranges main rival, BC? That doesn't really fire up much passion. PITT, about the same.
Even in basketball, for the first decade of the Big East UCT sucked in basketball. SU, Georgetown, SJU, Nova and others here and there built the brand. UCT was the beneficiary of that heavy lifting.

CousCuse already in mid-season form and it's only Week 2.

Came close to saying this thread is peak CousCuse but that would just inspire 5-10 replies linking prior threads to prove otherwise.

Good stuff, Cousy. Rage against the dying of the light!
My pleasure, having 1 winning season in the last 8 years does bad things to a man. Yet, here I am, hopelessly devoted to Orange.

Mora is a good coach. Hes the best thing they have. Hes Dougie smart and will have them prepared. I expect them to try and run it down our throats and take an occasional shot.
We just need to keep everything in front of us. They might keep it close doing this for a quarter but they wont stop us on O. Once we get up by a couple of scores Mora will have a choice to make. Keep running the ball and keep it within 25 or try to play catch up and risk getting destroyed.
Hes smart and will run the ball all game. Its his only play.

On O nothing fancy. Same as last week. Nice blend no dumb mistakes and we cruise
Since we're speculating on Mora's strategy, maybe he will try to get off some early out of the box plays and try to get a lead and get the crowd into it. Then go to pounding the rock.

My pleasure, having 1 winning season in the last 8 years does bad things to a man. Yet, here I am, hopelessly devoted to Orange big time college football in New England.
FIFY

From the Boneyard:

Not really. I don’t consider Cuse a rival in football. They have a losing record against us, and they have won the last few having far more resources. We were much better than them in the Big East.

To me our mortal rival in the Big East was Pitt. We were evenly matched, and I disliked Pitt more than even Syracuse in basketball.

another poster said:

I really don't dislike any other school with the passion I reserve for bcu... But fans? Yeah, orange heads are the worst.

UConn fans don't really see SU as a rivalry, just a school to be hated. Some Husky fans hates us because of hoops, but that has not translated to the gridiron. It's a game that counts for 1/12 of each of our records. One team will win, one will lose. We think we will win, they think they will lose, with a shot at a miracle upset.

Just sit back, enjoy the game, pull for Tucker to rack up nice stats, the twos ands threes to get some run and no major injuries. Honestly, next year's Huskies will be a better team with a year of Mora under their collective belts and a better coach to draw talent to then Edsall, both HS and transfer, UConn will be a better team next year, This is not their year, this is the first year of a real rebuild. Mora has a lot of work to do before they become perennial winners.

FIFY
Do you think that college football is more popular in states and regions with many teams competing and having meaningful games or few teams competing and having meaningful games? I don't really expect to get an honest reply, so go ahead and snark on.

Do you think that college football is more popular in states and regions with many teams competing and having meaningful games or few teams competing and having meaningful games? I don't really expect to get an honest reply, so go ahead and snark on.

Cousy, New England is chock full of colleges that play football against each other.

Nobody cares.

Big time college football in New England is dead, my friend.

No amount of success at UMASS, UVM, YUKON or BC will ever change that.

But keep banging that drum!

So many interesting dynamics in this one. Where would UConn's ACC caliper RB be on Lville's depth chart? 3rd string behind Vols and Cuse transfers at best I'd guess. How many UConn OL would start for Lville? Any?

That said, there is a lot to be said about desire and UConn players will have it whereas the more talented (than UConn) Lville roster came out a bit flat footed and got punched in the mouth. Presume UConn will try to do to us what we did to Lville in that regard? Will it matter? If we come out flat and they score first... It very well could. I don't think they'll win but presume they'll do everything they can to draw us into a rock fight. Flip side, if we score first and get up two scores fairly early it could get ugly quickly.

I don't think UConn can beat us but they'll show out well enough that we could beat ourselves. Thankfully I don't think our roster or coaches are mentally weak enough to allow that. Can't wait to find out though!
With players like Shrader, Tucker, Jones you aren't very smart if you try to play rough with them.
Getting any of them riled up will be to your detriment.

Cousy, New England is chock full of colleges that play football against each other.

Nobody cares.

Big time college football in New England is dead, my friend.

No amount of success at UMASS, UVM, YUKON or BC will ever change that.

But keep banging that drum!
I think the closest thing UVM has to fb is club rugby. Point well-made, though. For some reason, there's always a guy out there that wants to be the champion of the damned and talk up the UConn and UMass-type programs every year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom