So, what have we learned from two games? | Syracusefan.com

So, what have we learned from two games?

billsin01

All American
A somewhat quick review of the most intriguing developments of the young season so far:

There is such a thing as a moral victory
There will be many here who point to the 7-game streak as some sort of albatross, but the thing to remember is that last year's team was far from impressive during it's 5-2 start. Nothing from that was terribly sustainable. While we've lost two straight at the outset, this is a team that looks different at QB, WR, on offense in general, and improved though still a bit inconsistent on defense. They even look far better on special teams ... oh wait, no they're still atrocious there. (more on this later.) But despite two losses, this is an improved football team. That should feel good for everyone.

This is a new offense
Yes there is new personnel. Yes, many of the plays are the same. Yes, we have been behind in games and had to resort, arguably, to a new tempo. But, ultimately, this is a completely different offense. You can't change the tempo at which you play and claim you're still doing the same thing. Any defensive coordinator will tell you that. They also incorporated pretty heavily the read option, which is obviously a completely different animal to prepare for than straight ahead power football. And while we throw the ball underneath quite often, we've seen far more down the field this year. Those are three HUGE differences in overall offensive philosophy. This is not the same offense. And, by the way, Marrone and Hackett should be complimented for that.

Special teams ... wow
I'm not sure I've ever seen a team hurt itself more often and more consistently than this team does on specials. At one point someone suggested DM couldn't give up his role as a key part of the offense b/c *all* he'd have left to concentrate on were TEs and Special Teams. Umm, anyone else be OK with that? Let's look at the USC game and have some fun with the numbers: 6 punts ... wait for it ... none were fair caught. 2 punt returns ... wait for it ... we lost a total of 6 yards. Punt coverage ... USC two returns for 43 yards. Kick returns ... four for an average of 18 yards. To be fair, kicking was OK. But that is a woeful tale of the tape. Desperately need a fix here. Oh, and to dispell a rumor -- all our "improved depth" didn't magically make us better on special teams. At least not right away.

Defense hasn't been pretty, but not as ugly as the point totals suggest
In the interest of full disclosure, I'm predisposed to defend Shafer's defense on the basis of really liking attacking defenses. But look at this collection of drives and let me know if you see a pattern: USC had TD drives of 43, 55, 22 and 48 yards. NW had scoring drives of 21 yards and 28 yards, plus two non-offense scores (punt return, fumble return). So does this absolve this defense of blame for the first two losses? No, but I think this group is better than the raw numbers suggest. My hope is that they continue to improve as the year goes along.

In-game decisions are still ... curious
I think DM is doing a nice job and I trust he'll figure out specials ... soon ... please ... But the one area where I think he really struggles, consistently, are these key in-game decisions. No, they didn't cost us against USC, which was the better team. But the 4th-and-2 call followed up by the onsides kick along with the early two-point drive. My theory is that DM is at his best when it's game-planning, long-range planning, sticking to routine, tweaking at halftime, etc. But I think the key moments in the game sometimes get the best of him. Hopefully that's just another thing that improves as we move along.

Nassib actually isn't horrible
Are Nassib and Scoop Jardine roommates? If not, they should be. Two of the more criticized Cuse athletes I can remember and I'm not sure either one deserves half the criticism they get. Nassib isn't Barkley and he probably won't even be considered our best QB this decade (let's hope). But he's a solid player and clearly capable of helping us win games and score points. He's, at the very least, not the one holding the offense back. Nice to see him playing pretty well even if he's still had some moments of struggle.

There is clearly more talent here
The continuous referendum on Marrone as a recruiter has to be trending in a positive fashion. Broyld looks good, Kobena has come a long way, Clark has made a play, Gulley is a player, Dy Davis has improved, Lyn, a bunch of the frosh ... I like a lot of the younger players on this team.

Overall, it's hard not to feel pretty positive about most aspects of this program, IMO. Now it's a matter of validating it with some Ws.

Here is what I know right now, all the time for feeling good and having hope are over and we need to get wins, plain and simple.

Love the new O, like the talent, love the fire from the players against USC.

Now let's go out and kick some a$$.

Here is what I know right now, all the time for feeling good and having hope are over and we need to get wins, plain and simple.

Love the new O, like the talent, love the fire from the players against USC.

Now let's go out and kick some a$$.

I get the sentiment, believe me. I just feel it's worth pointing out that winning consistently in today's world of college football means being able to move the ball and put up points. We have not done that consistently -- in fact we have not come close to doing that consistently -- in DM's first three seasons.

The fact with this season is we have our first glimpse at something resembling an offense and if we can maintain a high productivity level, there's no reason to think we can't make a run at a solid bowl game. That would be a good thing.

I get the sentiment, believe me. I just feel it's worth pointing out that winning consistently in today's world of college football means being able to move the ball and put up points. We have not done that consistently -- in fact we have not come close to doing that consistently -- in DM's first three seasons.

The fact with this season is we have our first glimpse at something resembling an offense and if we can maintain a high productivity level, there's no reason to think we can't make a run at a solid bowl game. That would be a good thing.

At some point, the rubber has to meet the road.

That time is now.

There are no more games on the schedule that we cannot win. We don't have to win all of them, but we have to be winning a good amount of them.

Something like a 4-8 record after what I have seen will be tremendously disappointing.

At some point, the rubber has to meet the road.

That time is now.

There are no more games on the schedule that we cannot win. We don't have to win all of them, but we have to be winning a good amount of them.

Something like a 4-8 record after what I have seen will be tremendously disappointing.

Well the great thing about sports is that we'll actually get an answer on this. We'll either be 4-8, or we won't.

But in terms of what bills posted (which was a great read) I think it's hard to argue that we don't "look" a sh!ton better at 0-2 than we did at 5-2 last year.

Well the great thing about sports is that we'll actually get an answer on this. We'll either be 4-8, or we won't.

But in terms of what bills posted (which was a great read) I think it's hard to argue that we don't "look" a sh!ton better at 0-2 than we did at 5-2 last year.

Agree. We look better. That makes it even more urgent that we get results now. Thank you for supporting my argument ;)

Agree. We look better. That makes it even more urgent that we get results now. Thank you for supporting my argument ;)

You really are a bright ray of sunshine.

Oh Lord

You really are a bright ray of sunshine.

Oh Lord

Hey, I still don't have my voice from supporting the team this past Saturday. I sat first row and stayed until the end.

My butt will be there regardless. Expecting wins is something that should be encouraged. There is nothing wrong with a healthy paranoia driving people to success.

Yeah, we looked like a crappy 5 and 2 (WFVU not withstanding) with a lot of reasons to doubt, but I think right now we're a decent team that has lost a couple of games ut given us a lot of reasons to believe.

Nice post. Agree with pretty much everything.

Re: in-game decisions, its the one area that drives me nuts. Somebody needs to hire this man a Game Day decision maker guy. I really like what hes done with the program and feel we are moving in the right direction, but one of these days, hes going to cost us a game with his gameday in-game management. Love what he does Sunday-Friday, Saturday, not so much.

Re: in-game decisions, its the one area that drives me nuts. Somebody needs to hire this man a Game Day decision maker guy.
:raises hand to volunteer:

I'm not suggesting that I'd always make the right decision, but it would at least be entertaining.

:raises hand to volunteer:

I'm not suggesting that I'd always make the right decision, but it would at least be entertaining.

Hired if you want to move back East. I can't take much more. And I'm by no means a video game player, rather conservative actually. But he takes it to a whole new level.

Hired if you want to move back East. I can't take much more. And I'm by no means a video game player, rather conservative actually. But he takes it to a whole new level.
I could probably convince the wifey to go back East... if the $$$s are right.

Email to TGD being sent right now.
I'd love to see how the email turns out.

My Dearest Good Doctor Gross,

Due to the at times questionable game management decisions of our beloved Head Football Coach (Men's) Douglas Q. Marrone, I propose that the staff add a Game Day Management assistant coach to assist the football program. If I may be so bold, I also put forward a candidate. His name (I think he's a he) is OttoinGrotto, and he's a frequent poster to syracusefan.com. While his post-to-like ratio is not all that high, he has accumulated enough posts to be considered an all conference poster, whatever that means. He also is one crazy bastard when it comes to special teams, and is therefore an ideal candidate for Game Day Management.

Sincerely,
Cuseman78, not to be confused with Cusefan78

Doug has cost us a minimum of four games over the last two years based on a lack of attention to specials. His in game coaching will improve with time i just dont think that he is that quick on his feet. Not saying he lacks brains just that he doesnt make quick decisions well.

I'd love to see how the email turns out.

My Dearest Good Doctor Gross,

Due to the at times questionable game management decisions of our beloved Head Football Coach (Men's) Douglas Q. Marrone, I propose that the staff add a Game Day Management assistant coach to assist the football program. If I may be so bold, I also put forward a candidate. His name (I think he's a he) is OttoinGrotto, and he's a frequent poster to syracusefan.com. While his post-to-like ratio is not all that high, he has accumulated enough posts to be considered an all conference poster, whatever that means. He also is one crazy ******* when it comes to special teams, and is therefore an ideal candidate for Game Day Management.

Sincerely,
Cuseman78, not to be confused with Cusefan78

I was just about to send, but this ones better. Expect an Inbox message soon requesting resume. Board name: TBD

...and thanks for not confusing me with Cusefan. Means alot.

I was just about to send, but this ones better. Expect an Inbox message soon requesting resume. Board name: TBD

...and thanks for not confusing me with Cusefan. Means alot.
Bro hug.

A somewhat quick review of the most intriguing developments of the young season so far:
Special teams ... wow
I'm not sure I've ever seen a team hurt itself more often and more consistently than this team does on specials. At one point someone suggested DM couldn't give up his role as a key part of the offense b/c *all* he'd have left to concentrate on were TEs and Special Teams. Umm, anyone else be OK with that? Let's look at the USC game and have some fun with the numbers: 6 punts ... wait for it ... none were fair caught. 2 punt returns ... wait for it ... we lost a total of 6 yards. Punt coverage ... USC two returns for 43 yards. Kick returns ... four for an average of 18 yards. To be fair, kicking was OK. But that is a woeful tale of the tape. Desperately need a fix here. Oh, and to dispell a rumor -- all our "improved depth" didn't magically make us better on special teams. At least not right away.

I liked your whole post...as a note

the Kick Off coverage team has been vastly improved over last year. We are #11 in the country vs #97 last year. 14.83 ypr vs 23.65 ypr.

Not sure where you pulled that average kick return number for the USC game, but it was 3 returns for 40 yards or 13.3 ypr,
that would be top 5 performance for Saturday, against one of the most dangerous return men in the country. So maybe the depth has helped here...

That being said, they need to address the punt coverage team, Saturday was better than NW, but still nowhere near good enough...

I liked your whole post...as a note

the Kick Off coverage team has been vastly improved over last year. We are #11 in the country vs #97 last year. 14.83 ypr vs 23.65 ypr.

Not sure where you pulled that average kick return number for the USC game, but it was 3 returns for 40 yards or 13.3 ypr,
that would be top 5 performance for Saturday, against one of the most dangerous return men in the country. So maybe the depth has helped here...

That being said, they need to address the punt coverage team, Saturday was better than NW, but still nowhere near good enough...

Yeah, I was talking about SU's kick return game (18 yards per return, I believe). The SU kicking has been pretty decent thus far, particularly compared with the protection issues they had last year on FGs and the atrocious coverage units. Still not a strength, exactly, but not terrible.

Yeah, I was talking about SU's kick return game (18 yards per return, I believe). The SU kicking has been pretty decent thus far, particularly compared with the protection issues they had last year on FGs and the atrocious coverage units. Still not a strength, exactly, but not terrible.

AHhhh...gotcha I read it the other way :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom