So who plays the 4 in 18-19? | Syracusefan.com

So who plays the 4 in 18-19?

JB is a great coach if you look at the wins. but his forte has never been figuring out distributing minutes played or playing his guys in their natural position.

Moyer.

Bazely takes the 3 and Brissett gives us the 6th man depth Dion gave us.

I just don't think Moyer starts over OB.

Brisset will likely get more minutes in total over multiple positions, from what I've seen he has an upside more substantial and versatile than Moyer. That's not to say Moyer's not very talented as well. I just see Brissett as a player that can hybrid the 3 and 4 as well as anyone we've ever had.

I love all of our forwards. Moyer, OB, Marek will get plenty of time this upcoming year, and next if they are here.

But, Baze starts from day one at the 4. Luckily, OB, MM, and Marek all have the potential to play the 3. We are gonna be long as can be, with skills on top. Forwards that can get it, and go. We will be running again, finally.

I say just start all four, and throw in a PG.

Defensively it doesn't really matter in our system. It's all a matter of who is best suited for SF vs. PF on offense.

I'm not really as concerned over who plays the 4 so much as who plays the 3. Who is going to replace Andrew White's shooting production at the position these next two seasons? I think Moyer, Brissett, and Dolezaj will all rotate as SF/PFs this year on offense until we see where each is best suited, but if I had to guess for 2018-19, my money is on Brissett and Dolezaj as our SFs and Moyer and Bazley as our PFs. I'm hoping Thompson plays strictly the 5 so his training can be focused entirely on one position rather than split between two, but that may not happen this season.

he'll definitely play some there - seems like more of a natural 3, tho
Have to agree -- in all the clips I saw he posted up once, and then faced up and hit a jumper. I know the modern style of PF is more of a stretch 4, not the traditional low-block, back to the basket style I grew up watching. But even by the newer standard, I saw zero low-post moves and he either drove by or faced up at every opportunity rather than backing in or using a post move. Regardless, this kid can score, and whether you call him a 3 or 4, he's going to hit a 3 if you give him space. And he's going to drive if you don't. So he seems like a slashing SF with a nice lefty stroke, a fluid mid-range game and outside range. But he can also bang inside and seems fearless getting to the rim.

I'm just happy to have a long, versatile, athletic forward with a great handle to give us fits trying to fit him into JB's rotation.

Last edited:
Have to agree -- in all the clips I saw he posted up once, and then faced up and hit a jumper. I know the modern style of PF is more of a stretch 4, not the traditional low-block, back to the basket style I grew up watching. But even by the newer standard, I saw zero low-post moves and he either drove by or faced up at every opportunity rather than backing in or using a post move. Regardless, this kid can score, and whether you call him a 3 or 4, he's going to hit a 3 if you give him space. And he's going to drive if you don't. So he seems like a slashing SF with a nice lefty stroke, a fluid mid-range game and outside range. But he can also bang inside and seems fearless getting to the rim.

I'm just happy to have a long, versatile, athletic forward with a great handle to give us fits trying to fit him into JB's rotation.
yep it might just be semantics whether he's listed a 3 or 4 in our offense, and how big or small JB feels like playing and obviously on D it don't matter at all

yep it might just be semantics whether he's listed a 3 or 4 in our offense, and how big or small JB feels like playing and obviously on D it don't matter at all
No doubt. He will help us inside on D with his athleticism and his length. And on offense, he's obviously a coach's dream and a matchup nightmare. If you put a big on him --- bye bye. And if you put a guard on him, he's shooting over the top. He definitely needs to add weight and strength, but he's already playing with confidence and I love that he can use either hand around the rim. We need to keep a hold of this one. WWW's going to come a calling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom