So who's 1st team All BE? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So who's 1st team All BE?

If it's based on statistical output, you don't think MCW has a chance at first team? Leading the conference in APG by a wide margin, leading in steals, #2 in rebounds for a guard, and still putting up over 12 points a game as well for one of the top teams in the conference? I feel like people here aren't putting him in the discussion because he hasn't lived up to their expectations, but he's still been far and away the best PG in the conference from a statistical standpoint IMO.

CJ has had a better year. No question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJ has had a better year. No question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Statistically, if we're including the non-conference games, that isn't the case. I'm with you that he's had a better year, and that taking consistency into consideration, he's our best player, but MCW's numbers are much more impressive than CJ's (and I'd take MCW at his best over CJ at his best just for the record, but MCW doesn't bring his A game nearly as often as CJ does).

If it's based on statistical output, you don't think MCW has a chance at first team? Leading the conference in APG by a wide margin, leading in steals, #2 in rebounds for a guard, and still putting up over 12 points a game as well for one of the top teams in the conference? I feel like people here aren't putting him in the discussion because he hasn't lived up to their expectations, but he's still been far and away the best PG in the conference from a statistical standpoint IMO.
I think it is possible, just not likely. If its Porter and 5 guards, then MCW will get in, but if it is Porter & Cooley plus 4 guards, then I think the politics will work against him.

Porter
Cooley
Smith

then you have Napier, Cotton, Kilpatrick, Fuquan Edwin (who is having a terrific year statistically) and MCW fighting for the last three spots. Syracuse is seen by many as having abandoned the league and caused its final collapse, and he could lose a couple of crucial votes for non-basketball reasons.

I think we are going to see MCW and CJ on the second team.

I think it is possible, just not likely. If its Porter and 5 guards, then MCW will get in, but if it is Porter & Cooley plus 4 guards, then I think the politics will work against him.

Porter
Cooley
Smith

then you have Napier, Cotton, Kilpatrick, Fuquan Edwin (who is having a terrific year statistically) and MCW fighting for the last three spots. Syracuse is seen by many as having abandoned the league and caused its final collapse, and he could lose a couple of crucial votes for non-basketball reasons.

I think we are going to see MCW and CJ on the second team.

Fair enough. Definitely agreed on CJ ending up on 2nd team IMO. If politics don't win out, I think MCW will make the 1st team, but we'll see.

Lot of good posts here about who should be on the first team. Another measure (besides the BE itself) is who the pros think is best this year. I find it interesting that only 2 Big East players are projected to be drafted in the first round this year (Porter & MCW). That opinion is unanimous for the 8 mock draft sites I checked.

In all but one, Porter is rated to be drafted higher than MCW. Highest for Porter is Sporting News at #3; lowest is Hoopsworld at #16. For MCW, highest is #7 by Hoopsworld; lowest #14 by Sporting News.

Average placement for the 8 sites are - Porter #8; MCW #10.

He has pissed me off too much to consider honoring him in any way. If he was going to just play this year and then leave, he should have been way better for that one year. As a fan a feel cheated that he is leaving early and he is able to do that even though he has been a poor leader, a bad shooter, poor decision maker, selfish, and he has padded his stats against poor teams and come up mostly small in the big games. Usually a player like that can't leave early and be a lottery pick. If he leads us to a FF though, all will be forgiven.

I believe they only recognize conference games, right?

IMO, the only unanimous selection is Porter

There are several guards who will get consideration, as people have pointed out. Napier, Smith, MCW, Cotton, Kilpatrick, Siva, Triche, Blue, Jerian Grant, and Young among them.

Fair is averaging 16.2 and 7.6 in conference play, 7th and 5th respectively. Only Porter (2nd and 6th) provides better raw numbers. Cooley and Dieng both average double-doubles, and Dieng is likely to be 1st or 2nd in the DPOY race. I believe these 4 players are the only front court guys under consideration. After them, you're talking about guys like Batts, Melvin, Yarou, and Sampson.

In the end, there's likely some politics involved, but I don't think the guard play this year was truly exceptional to warrant a repeat of 2011 when Jackson missed out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom