Solo: A Star Wars Story | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Solo: A Star Wars Story

why don’t people suffer from Marvel fatigue?
I think there are two reasons: the Marvel movies feel like they have a wider variety of styles, and the audience isn't as invested in preconceived expectations about what the stories have to be.

Maybe a third - the Marvel movies had a regular release right from the start. Star Wars has been spotty.

That robot was sooooo dumb and annoying. Why does every star wars movie need a wacky talking robot? The jokes were terrible. It makes no sense for lando to be in love with a robot.

The Han character is nothing like the "real" Han. He risked his life for millions of credits for space fuel and just lets a bunch of kids steal it from him? He didn't even ask for more than one?

He was too soft. He is supposed to not give a crap about anything but credits and himself (and his girl). His transformation is supposed to happen gradually and involuntarily in episode 4, not years before. These bandits killed his partners like an hour before and then he just feels bad for them? What???

And the whole "backstory" of how he got the name solo? Who gives a crap?

I think there are two reasons: the Marvel movies feel like they have a wider variety of styles, and the audience isn't as invested in preconceived expectations about what the stories have to be.

Maybe a third - the Marvel movies had a regular release right from the start. Star Wars has been spotty.

This is accurate. Star wars is Jedis/lightsabers/force, space battles, storm troopers, etc. They have half a dozen characters that have stuck. The prequels and the new trilogy have all had some type of storm trooper. The first order is the empire and they even had a death star! Its the same crap recycled over and over.

Marvel has dozens of characters that all have different abilities and designs. Just compare the first Captain America to Thor Ragnorak or Guardians of the Galaxy.

I wonder too if Star Wars and the Marvel movies have too much audience overlap and movie goers only really have the juice to fully back one big franchise? Fast and Furious maybe has a different audience so that one can succeed, plus they've spaced those movies out better.

Saw it last night. I liked it. Tons of references to the broader SW universe. I’d like to see it again to pick up on all the things I missed.

Anyone have any thoughts why the movie isn’t getting much cred at the box office? Only thing I could think of was that people were so familiar with Harrison Ford’s HS that they just weren’t intrigued by a prequel without him. That, and the production at points got a bunch of bad press.

I think it is three things:
1. Last Jedi really seemed to have turned off audiences and is casting a shadow on this one.
2. It came out at the wrong time. I still don't know why this wasn't slated for December when the Star Wars movies have been coming out. Combining that with the unenthusiastic reaction of the hardcore fans to TLJ and it is a double whammy. Triple whammy is competing against a few major comic book movie releases.
3. Combo of "its not my Han Solo without Harrison Ford" and the drama of the development of the movie, plus multiple "Disney is preparing for it to be a disaster" articles that preceded its release killed any buzz remaining after item 1 and 2.

There is also the idea that these spin off movies are still an experiment. Still not entirely sure if there is a demand for these movies. Solo was good and I enjoyed it but it wasn't essential in any way.

And finally, the movie is doing "poorly" but only really compared to other Star Wars movies. The bar is pretty well set at $1B for these movies. That is absurd. When is the last time a movie coming out in May had a $100 million plus opening weekend and was panned as a flop?

To be fair, SW movies have always been May. It’s these new ones that have broken the mold.

1. Last Jedi really seemed to have turned off audiences and is casting a shadow on this one.
2. It came out at the wrong time. I still don't know why this wasn't slated for December when the Star Wars movies have been coming out. Combining that with the unenthusiastic reaction of the hardcore fans to TLJ and it is a double whammy. Triple whammy is competing against a few major comic book movie releases.
3. Combo of "its not my Han Solo without Harrison Ford" and the drama of the development of the movie, plus multiple "Disney is preparing for it to be a disaster" articles that preceded its release killed any buzz remaining after item 1 and 2.

There is also the idea that these spin off movies are still an experiment. Still not entirely sure if there is a demand for these movies. Solo was good and I enjoyed it but it wasn't essential in any way.

And finally, the movie is doing "poorly" but only really compared to other Star Wars movies. The bar is pretty well set at $1B for these movies. That is absurd. When is the last time a movie coming out in May had a $100 million plus opening weekend and was panned as a flop?

I was thinking #1 and #3 also. IMO, Last Jedi alienated many hardcore fans. Those same fans are the ones they rely on for the nostalgia of the Solo backstory.

Re: #3, I was turned off a bit by the development drama of movie as well (i.e., fired directors, "acting" coach for Alden Ehrenreich, etc.). I didn't have as strong of a desire to see Solo. In the end though, I am glad my expectations were a bit lower as I enjoyed the film.

To be fair, SW movies have always been May. It’s these new ones that have broken the mold.

But since 2015, Disney was essentially cornering the market on pre-Christmas blockbuster movie releases. It was a cool niche they were creating and it had the side benefit of combating saturation as you would get 1 movie per year and no more. Why they only waited 6 months for this one, with nothing planned for December is a mystery and the gamble of it burned them because people were off-put by the most recent release just 6 months ago. If they had another 6 months for that sentiment to die down, I bet Solo would be doing at least marginally better.

Incidentally, I just got TLJ on disc and saw it for the first time since my only theater viewing. I actually enjoyed it more, it made more sense, and was much less off putting than I found it the first time. (incidentally I also became pretty well convinced that Kylo is lying about Rey's parents).

So should I watch this movie or not? Seems like if I do I should lower my expectation.

i think when people take the time to watch this after the backlash of TLJ, more and more people will feel the same. These are movies for the big screen, too bad many will enjoy it later when its on a tv.

So should I watch this movie or not? Seems like if I do I should lower my expectation.
I would NEVER skip a SW movie, but admit I was very concerned that this one would be terrible for some reason.

I was very wrong. The kid’s buyable in the role. Glover nails it. Many connections to the story you already know. Nothing to lose.

Yes you should watch it. I liked it and had no problem with the kid as Han. He’s not perfect but he has some really good moments and overall the movie is good.

still its gonna be the first SW to lose money for some reason other than the quality of this movie

It could lose $50 Million. Opening weekend was good - and the second weekend they had a 65% swing the other way. Not good!

It could lose $50 Million. Opening weekend was good - and the second weekend they had a 65% swing the other way. Not good!

I hadn’t seen projections that it would lose money. That’s hard to believe. I thought it cost $250M to make it then throw in $50M in marketing I guess. And it made 30% of that back in a weekend before international box office, toys, other sponsorship tie ins, blu ray sales, streaming, video games, etc etc . ..

I hadn’t seen projections that it would lose money. That’s hard to believe. I thought it cost $250M to make it then throw in $50M in marketing I guess. And it made 30% of that back in a weekend before international box office, toys, other sponsorship tie ins, blu ray sales, streaming, video games, etc etc . ..
You're likely way underestimating the marketing expenses.

still its gonna be the first SW to lose money for some reason other than the quality of this movie
A lot of that has to do with replacing the co-directors and villain halfway through shooting.

Because the first movie set it up! They showed Snope with a big old gash in his forehead, like he was the Sith Lord who had apprenticed Palpatine. They hit you over the head with it in the first reboot, and then the director of the 2nd movie threw it away.
They didn’t hit us over the head with anything. You saw a gash and came up with a theory, that’s all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom