Johnson 3.5

3 Point Shooting:

Cooney 7-21
Johnson 4-10
Patterson 1-9
Ennis 2-5
Grant 1-3
Fair 1-4

Do we have links to all of the box scores? I'm really curious about the field goal attempt distribution.

didn't TC miss his first 5 or 6 three point attempts?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

I apologize because I didn't do all of this, but here's a sampling:

Leading Scorers:

Grant 13.3 ppg
Fair 12.0
Coleman 10.8
Ennis 10.0
Cooney 9.9
Johnson 8.8
Christmas 5.5
Patterson 3.8
Gbinije 3.5
Keita 3.0

Rebounders:

Grant 7.8
Christmas 7.5
Keita 7.3
Coleman 4.8
Fair 4.5
Johnson 3.5

3 Point Shooting:

Cooney 7-21
Johnson 4-10
Patterson 1-9
Ennis 2-5
Grant 1-3
Fair 1-4

Things that popped out (watched 2 games of the four completely, and a few minutes of the final game).

Gbinije is not that assertive on offense, although he seems to be pretty steady on the ball, and in terms of playing a good floor game. Neither he nor Patterson showed enough from the 3 point line to make me think that BJ Johnson will redshirt.

Johnson, Cooney and Fair are likely our primary 3 point shooters this season. We’ll be OK but not great from deep, about like last year, or maybe a bit better.

The rebounding looks improved, and it was already pretty good last year. The question will be about the guards lending in. Triche and MCW added a bunch of defensive boards last year. Gbinije will this year, maybe Patterson, but Ennis and Cooney are not going to be great rebounders. I wonder how that will affect the fast break, which went missing at times last year.

Glad to see Coleman have a dominating offensive game. I don’t have faith that he can keep it up, because he was so terrible in the other games, but you have to figure that he will improve eventually.

Fair and Grant are going to be great. Ennis will do enough. It’s funny thinking of Cooney as our most experienced guard. Silent G may be too passive to become a great player, but could be Howard Triche-like in his role playing and sporadic scoring and rebounding. Glad we have him, don’t think he will be a STAR, though.

Do we have links to all of the box scores? I'm really curious about the field goal attempt distribution.

You can get them all at Syracuse.com, but you have to go about 3 pages deep in the results.

Yes, so he did improve from his poor start. He is the "grizzled veteran" among our guards. Kind of odd. He reminds me of Mike Hopkins, or a guy you would expect to see playing guard for Mike Brey at Notre Dame.

Silent G may be too passive to become a great player, but could be Howard Triche-like in his role playing and sporadic scoring and rebounding. Glad we have him, don’t think he will be a STAR, though.

Will be interesting to see Gbinije play alongside Ennis--didn't get to see much of that during these four exhibition games.

I think that both he and Cooney are capable, but just what they'll provide is less clear. I view 2G as the biggest question mark heading into the season. Need both to produce.

Interesting data, Matt--thanks for taking the time to compile it.

YEs and finishing 7-21 while starting that way is very encouraging. I also though once he started hitting them he really shot it more confidently even on the misses.

YEs and finishing 7-21 while starting that way is very encouraging. I also though once he started hitting them he really shot it more confidently even on the misses.

Thinking back to that first game, where Trevor couldn't throw the ball in the ocean, think of how HUGE getting that breakaway dunk was for him, just to get the ball rolling and get the lid off of the rim.

Thinking back to that first game, where Trevor couldn't throw the ball in the ocean, think of how HUGE getting that breakaway dunk was for him, just to get the ball rolling and get the lid off of the rim.

Agreed, you could almost see the the pressure being released as he threw that down. I think he went to the rim again the next time he got the ball and then tossed in back to back three's after that.

Things that popped out (watched 2 games of the four completely, and a few minutes of the final game).

Gbinije is not that assertive on offense, although he seems to be pretty steady on the ball, and in terms of playing a good floor game. Neither he nor Patterson showed enough from the 3 point line to make me think that BJ Johnson will redshirt.

Johnson, Cooney and Fair are likely our primary 3 point shooters this season. We’ll be OK but not great from deep, about like last year, or maybe a bit better.

The rebounding looks improved, and it was already pretty good last year. The question will be about the guards lending in. Triche and MCW added a bunch of defensive boards last year. Gbinije will this year, maybe Patterson, but Ennis and Cooney are not going to be great rebounders. I wonder how that will affect the fast break, which went missing at times last year.

Glad to see Coleman have a dominating offensive game. I don’t have faith that he can keep it up, because he was so terrible in the other games, but you have to figure that he will improve eventually.

Fair and Grant are going to be great. Ennis will do enough. It’s funny thinking of Cooney as our most experienced guard. Silent G may be too passive to become a great player, but could be Howard Triche-like in his role playing and sporadic scoring and rebounding. Glad we have him, don’t think he will be a STAR, though.

Two good reasons why TC should come off the bench until he starts banging 3's like it's his job. In fairness, he's not terrible on defense. He has a serviceable handle (a little skittish with the ball but not too horrible on TO's). He can also, at times, create off the bounce and hit the midrange shot or (rarely) finish inside.

But the other two candidates are longer and already better rebounders, will be just as good on D in a short time, and (at least in BJ's case) can light it up from downtown. BJ's length, combined with his shot, will eventually earn him starters minutes. All he has to do is keep hitting from the outside and covering his area in the zone.

Two good reasons why TC should come off the bench until he starts banging 3's like it's his job. In fairness, he's not terrible on defense. He has a serviceable handle (a little skittish with the ball but not too horrible on TO's). He can also, at times, create off the bounce and hit the midrange shot or (rarely) finish inside.

But the other two candidates are longer and already better rebounders, will be just as good on D in a short time, and (at least in BJ's case) can light it up from downtown. BJ's length, combined with his shot, will eventually earn him starters minutes. All he has to do is keep hitting from the outside and covering his area in the zone.

So you're saying, 'start Coleman, Christmas AND Gbinije" ?? And you hope to score more than 20 points a half?

We're playing in the ACC now, not the Big East, where "first team to 50 wins".

So you're saying, 'start Coleman, Christmas AND Gbinije" ?? And you hope to score more than 20 points a half?

We're playing in the ACC now, not the Big East, where "first team to 50 wins".

Lol, no (funny point about the BE, though). I'm saying that BJ has a bigger upside at the 2 than Cooney and should eventually start ... precisely because we need more consistent perimeter offense. Inside (which I wasn't posting about), DC2 is still learning his defensive assignments and struggling to move his feet -- but he's the only 5 we have that seems capable of scoring the ball on the low block.

Lol, no (funny point about the BE, though). I'm saying that BJ has a bigger upside at the 2 than Cooney and should eventually start ... precisely because we need more consistent perimeter offense. Inside (which I wasn't posting about), DC2 is still learning his defensive assignments and struggling to move his feet -- but he's the only 5 we have that seems capable of scoring the ball on the low block.

Got it. Here's how I see the rotation now that we've seen some scrimmages:

I would start Christmas, Fair, Grant, Ennis and Cooney.

First time-out, Coleman for Christmas, Johnson for Cooney.

Second time-out, Keita for Coleman, Gbinije spells Ennis, Johnson slides to F and Cooney comes back in.

Third time out - One forward gets a breather (Grant), and the Johnson is subbed out for Roberson.

After that, subs depend on game situations. Need more rebounding? Christmas and Keita are in. Need some low post offense? Give Coleman another 4 minutes. Eventually Fair will need a breather, and Roberson comes in.

Starting that group should avoid the dreaded "no scoring for the first 5 minutes" that we saw too often last year.

I see Johnson as the Southerland off the bench designated 3 point shooter this year.

I think Boeheim will keep Gbinije to backup PG because he needs someone dedicated to that role. Roberson is a bit forgotten because he didn't make the trip, but I see him as Fair's backup.

Cooney is going to see a lot of minutes because right now, he gets the assignments at the top of the zone best.

I think Boeheim will keep Gbinije to backup PG because he needs someone dedicated to that role.

Just my gut feeling...

In Canada, Gbinije was the backup PG because we needed someone dedicated to that role.

Come the regular season, he's our starting 2.

If I'm not mistaken, Cooney shot less than 40% from the floor for the 4 games. His average net points are the lowest on the team. I would give BJ a lot of minutes and possibly start him by the regular season depending on how Cooney and Silent G play. We need more consistent offense from the 2.

So, you're saying he's white?

Also, he's scrappy. And has a high basketball IQ. And is fundamentally sound.

There, that's all of the euphemisms I can think of for 'of European descent.'

Just my gut feeling...

In Canada, Gbinije was the backup PG because we needed someone dedicated to that role.

What is going to change in the regular season? Will he start at the 2 and slide over to the point when Ennis is out, leaving the SG for Cooney or BJ? I could see that happening.

What is going to change in the regular season? Will he start at the 2 and slide over to the point when Ennis is out, leaving the SG for Cooney or BJ? I could see that happening.

I think this is how it will go -

1. I think Ennis is going to set a record for minutes played. I'm not even kidding. He's just not going to spend much time on the bench, ever.

2. Gbinije will start, but will be the first backcourt player that gets a substitution.

3. Cooney will come in for Gbinije, and be out there long enough to see if he's hot or if he's cold.

4. When Ennis is due for his breather, Gbinije comes back in to spell him at the point. If Cooney's cold, he'll come out and BJ will come in to be a microwave.

5. Ennis will check back in after a timeout or whatever.

6. We win a bunch of games.

So, yeah, I think we play four guards, Ennis and Gbinije will start and take most of the minutes there, and Cooney will play more minutes than Johnson.

Got it. Here's how I see the rotation now that we've seen some scrimmages:

I would start Christmas, Fair, Grant, Ennis and Cooney.
I can see this for the short term (while BJ learns the system). This lineup is pretty balanced offensively (scoring coming mostly from the forwards with complimentary scoring from outside/inside)
First time-out, Coleman for Christmas, Johnson for Cooney.
Good offensive spark with these substitutions - inside (DC2) and outside (BJ).
Second time-out, Keita for Coleman, Gbinije spells Ennis, Johnson slides to F and Cooney comes back in.
Hmm... you might see Roberson come in at SF for CJ instead of BJ sliding over.
Third time out - One forward gets a breather (Grant), and the Johnson is subbed out for Roberson.

After that, subs depend on game situations. Need more rebounding? Christmas and Keita are in. Need some low post offense? Give Coleman another 4 minutes. Eventually Fair will need a breather, and Roberson comes in.

Starting that group should avoid the dreaded "no scoring for the first 5 minutes" that we saw too often last year.

I see Johnson as the Southerland off the bench designated 3 point shooter this year.
This could work (JB likes the bench spark), but it might get flip-flopped as the year unfolds, since BJ, with the massive total of 6 practices in college, shot 40% in Canada, while TC shot 28% (almost exactly what he shot all of last year from deep).
I think Boeheim will keep Gbinije to backup PG because he needs someone dedicated to that role. Roberson is a bit forgotten because he didn't make the trip, but I see him as Fair's backup.
Oh yes ... once he gets cleared and starts playing ... he's going to be all the spark we need at the 3.

Cooney is going to see a lot of minutes because right now, he gets the assignments at the top of the zone best. He's there by default ... steady on D, knows the system. But offensively ... he's like cold water on a campfire.

So, you're saying he's white?

No. I'm not. Andy Rautins, Leo Rautins, Eric Devendorf, Gerry McNamara, Matt Roe and countless other white guys have played for SU.

I said that so far, Cooney reminds me of Mike Hopkins more than he does a killer shooter like Andy or JJ Reddick or Rip Hamilton or Ray Allen. I said he would fit in on a Mike Brey team. Mike Brey, of course, starts Jerami Grant's brother in their backcourt, but they play a certain scrappy style.

Hope that helps.

Just my gut feeling...

No

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom