Some familiar names... | Syracusefan.com

Some familiar names...

Ray0505

Walk On
Looking at the Rutgers roster there are some familiar names that may jump out to those of us who have followed the recruiting trail rather closely over the past few years. I'm not saying any of these guys are going to have an impact on Saturday (or will ever be impact players for that matter), just saw some names I hadn't heard about in awhile.

Right at the top I see former Orange verbal commit Gareef Glashen, the RFreshman CB out of Miami. Shady managed to steal him away last minute.

Brandon Coleman is a WR from Maryland that I think we were in on up until the end. I remember watching the Under Armour AA game hoping we could somehow land this kid. I was hoping if we didn't get him it would be because he stuck with his hometown Terps, but then old Monkey Face crept in and got him to come over to the dark side.

Then of course there are New York products Quentin Gause and Al Page....2 more kids who Shady sucked in early in the recruiting process, yet we still had hope they would come to their senses and avoid 4-5 years of underachieving mediocrity. Apparently striving for a .500 winning % was exactly what they were looking for??

Anyway - here's to our group of Orange warriors going out and stomping a mud hole in these chumps on Saturday!! Let's just hope we can fill up the Dome and show them all what a terrible mistake they made in turning their backs to the Dougie!!

LETS GO ORANGE!

Ray0505,

You are right Schady did persuade Glashen out of a verbal to us, however, if I recall correctly soon after we were able to flip Keon Lyn to sign with us. So I would say it turned out okay, kind of a trade off...as a matter of fact I think both Lyn and Jeremy Wilkes committed at around the same time.

Dito on B. Cleman, Gause, and Al Page.

Once we win this weekend we will be 4-1 (1-0), they will be 2-2 (0-1) and staring at a tough three week stretch.

I gotta believe that once the dust clears and recruits, their parents and coaches start to understand that SU is in the ACC and Rutgers and the rest of the "left-overs" or "the unchosen" are in whatever they end up in that SU recruiting in all sports will benefit.

The whole Rutgers - Schiano message is about "how great its gonna be". It's the same technique they used for selling vacation properties in Florida (Here's where the luxurious clubhouse is planned to be built.) Once it becomes more clear that it really isn't going to be any better, the "bloom will be off the rose".

I'm guessing that some of this year's recruits are starting to re-think things.

Expect Schiano to start promising "Big Ten Membership" as part of his pitch.

Ray0505,

You are right Schady did persuade Glashen out of a verbal to us, however, if I recall correctly soon after we were able to flip Keon Lyn to sign with us. So I would say it turned out okay, kind of a trade off...as a matter of fact I think both Lyn and Jeremy Wilkes committed at around the same time.

Dito on B. Cleman, Gause, and Al Page.
Don't believe Lyn was ever committed anywhere but with Syracuse. Think Rutgers made a late run at him as well, but unlike Glashen he kept to his word. Lyn is the better player, so not a big deal in the grand scheme.

Didn't Glashen try and get the coaches to open the offer back up to him after he committed to RU and the coaches said nope?

Don't believe Lyn was ever committed anywhere but with Syracuse. Think Rutgers made a late run at him as well, but unlike Glashen he kept to his word. Lyn is the better player, so not a big deal in the grand scheme.
Yeah I think he's confusing Lyn with Cater. Cater definitely flipped then re-flipped, and then he decommited from Syracuse and committed to the NY Penal System.

Only guys on their 2 deep I see that Syracuse was involved with:

Brandon Coleman - we were in his final 3 with RU and MD but he ultimately chose between RU and MD.

Andre Civil - NY kid, I believe Marrone made a run at him when he first took over as HC during the 2009 recruiting class but he stuck with his verbal to RU.

Scott Vallone - Believe he was 2008 - GRob's last year. We were involved early but that was about it.

Those are the only names I recognize. I know there are others we recruited on that roster that aren't on the 2 deep. One name I remember was Malcolm Bush, he visited here around the time that Oku did during the late run to put together a 2009 recruiting class that Marrone had. Ultimately chose RU but I think we were in his final 3 or 4. Doesn't seem to be getting much playing time though.

Didn't Glashen try and get the coaches to open the offer back up to him after he committed to RU and the coaches said nope?

So goes the rumor in regards to Glashen which from prior board accounts has some merit. We landed Lyn around the same time Glashen flipped, and Lyn was quoted as saying Rutgers was on the phone with him the next day trying to get him to flip and he said no thanks.

is gause playing this year or are they redshirting him?

Right at the top I see former Orange verbal commit Gareef Glashen, the RFreshman CB out of Miami. Shady managed to steal him away last minute.

Brandon Coleman is a WR from Maryland that I think we were in on up until the end. I remember watching the Under Armour AA game hoping we could somehow land this kid. I was hoping if we didn't get him it would be because he stuck with his hometown Terps, but then old Monkey Face crept in and got him to come over to the dark side.

Then of course there are New York products Quentin Gause and Al Page....2 more kids who Shady sucked in early in the recruiting process, yet we still had hope they would come to their senses and avoid 4-5 years of underachieving mediocrity. Apparently striving for a .500 winning % was exactly what they were looking for?quote]

Instead of Glashen we landed Lyn.

Instead of Coleman we got West

Instead of Gause we got Lynch

Instead of Page we got Crume

Obviously some different classes in there but can't complain about the talent we got in their place.

Committed to Northern Illinois

He did.

Now that SU is leaving the BE and its prohibition on transferring inside the conference, will Syracuse be willing to take any of the unfortunate recruits who had a chance to play for the Orangemen but ended up at Rutgers?

I doubt it.

I gotta believe that once the dust clears and recruits, their parents and coaches start to understand that SU is in the ACC and Rutgers and the rest of the "left-overs" or "the unchosen" are in whatever they end up in that SU recruiting in all sports will benefit.

The whole Rutgers - Schiano message is about "how great its gonna be". It's the same technique they used for selling vacation properties in Florida (Here's where the luxurious clubhouse is planned to be built.) Once it becomes more clear that it really isn't going to be any better, the "bloom will be off the rose".

I'm guessing that some of this year's recruits are starting to re-think things.

Expect Schiano to start promising "Big Ten Membership" as part of his pitch.

Start? I'd be willing to bet that he has been doing this right along.

Glashen was still committed when Lyn committed, he decommitted about a week/week and a half later. So it wasn't a case of Lyn replacing Glashen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom