Some impressive shooting percentages... | Syracusefan.com

Some impressive shooting percentages...

Eric15

Living Legend
Cooney is currently shooting 49% from the field, 51% from 3, and 89% from the line. If he maintains this pace, this would have to go down as the most efficient shooting season for any player in the Boeheim era that I am aware of.

The NBA has an exclusive "50-40-90" club with guys who had those averages over a season with a minimum number of attempts: they are Bird, Mark Price, Reggie Miller, Steve Nash, Dirk and Durant. Obviously it's much harder to do over an 82 game season - I'm just saying its a very impressive statistical feat.

Also, Rak is very quietly shooting 75% from the field.

Its crazy and I think the ST. John's game is proof that he isn't going to go out and jack bad shots that aren't there so the odds of him continuing to shoot well are very good IMO. 50% from 3 all season is doubtful but he loos to be a mid 40's shooter over the duration of the rest of his career at SU from what we have seen.

I think Rak needs to get 6-8 shots a game. If he does he will score between 7-12pts and that would help a lot. He's another guy who really doesn't take bad shots. Seems we have a lot of those guys this year.

Rak needs more run
Agreed. BMK is doing some nice things on D, but Rak looks really good on offense this year, he not only needs more run, but also more touches. It seems like only Grant passes to him on the block.

Acc not as deep as the Big East was top to bottom. No reason Cooney can't keep up this hot potato pace.
But there is a reason - it's called away games. He is currently at 19% careerwise in away games.

And so far this has not improved this year - he is 0% this year (0-3 at MSG). And while not included in the numbers, he was nothing special up in Canada (around 30% I believe).

Cooney has shown tremendous improvement. The next needed step in his progression is to step up in away environments.

And so far this has not improved this year - he is 0% this year (0-3 at MSG). And while not included in the numbers, he was nothing special up in Canada (around 30% I believe).

But if you're going to count Canada against him (games that didn't even count), don't you have to give him credit for Maui where he was 11-24?

But if you're going to count Canada against him (games that didn't even count), don't you have to give him credit for Maui where he was 11-24?
I didn't count Canada in his numbers. I was mentioning Canada because it was this year, as apposed to last year, meaning I haven't seen the breakout yet, even in games that don't count.

And Maui was neutral, not away. I suspect there is a steady drop from home numbers, neutral numbers, and then away numbers. But the neutral numbers would get a huge boost from the friendly rims in Maui (meaning substantially better than the other neutral game %).

Obviously Cooney is the key to this year's team. When he is shooting like he has it's going to take a monumental effort to beat us. If he has an off night, which he will, we are going to be in dog fights like SJU. Like stated above I expect most of those to happen on the road, it's just the way it is. We really have no other outside option. The only good thing is teams will be forced to tag Cooney, and not give help defense, which will create huge driving lanes for Ennis, Grant, and Fair to go to work.

Agreed. BMK is doing some nice things on D, but Rak looks really good on offense this year, he not only needs more run, but also more touches. It seems like only Grant passes to him on the block.

Agreed. Which is why I'd like to see the Rak-Grant-Fair front court play more together.

Cheers,
Neil

I didn't count Canada in his numbers. I was mentioning Canada because it was this year, as apposed to last year, meaning I haven't seen the breakout yet, even in games that don't count.

And Maui was neutral, not away. I suspect there is a steady drop from home numbers, neutral numbers, and then away numbers. But the neutral numbers would get a huge boost from the friendly rims in Maui (meaning substantially better than the other neutral game %).

Shouldn't you be counting the MSG game as a neutral site as well? There were more Orange fans in that building than Johnnies fans and St. John's true home is Carnesseca Arena, not MSG.

At best all one can make out at this point in time is that we don't have any stats that shows what TC's "away game" trey shooting figures will be this year now that he's gotten confidence in his shooting. His neutral numbers are 11-25 (44%) and the home numbers are 30-56 (53.5%).

First true road game with be @VT.

Cheers,
Neil

Shouldn't you be counting the MSG game as a neutral site as well? There were more Orange fans in that building than Johnnies fans and St. John's true home is Carnesseca Arena, not MSG.

At best all one can make out at this point in time is that we don't have any stats that shows what TC's "away game" trey shooting figures will be this year now that he's gotten confidence in his shooting. His neutral numbers are 11-25 (44%) and the home numbers are 30-56 (53.5%).

First true road game with be @VT.

Cheers,
Neil
I was going by the technical definition of away games.

His away from the dome numbers this year are 11/27 (41%), which includes the Maui rims but not the Canada games. He is 30/54 (56%)at home. Great numbers but a significant difference.

SUSScuse didn't see any reason Cooney wouldn't keep this pace because the competition would be similar to what he has seen so far. I was pointing out that the venue may play a big role.

But there is a reason - it's called away games. He is currently at 19% careerwise in away games.

Cooney has shown tremendous improvement. The next needed step in his progression is to step up in away environments.
As Cooney has shown us this year, you can't base any expectation of his performance on what he did last year.

As Cooney has shown us this year, you can't base any expectation of his performance on what he did last year.
True, but even this year he has shown a percentage difference between home and away. For Cooney to keep up this torrid pace he is going to have to pick up his percentage away from the dome.

For the remaining schedule there will be more, as a percentage, of neutral/away games than he has had thus far.

I was going by the technical definition of away games.

His away from the dome numbers this year are 11/27 (41%), which includes the Maui rims but not the Canada games. He is 30/54 (56%)at home. Great numbers but a significant difference.

SUSScuse didn't see any reason Cooney wouldn't keep this pace because the competition would be similar to what he has seen so far. I was pointing out that the venue may play a big role.

Understood. And in truth, once the conference season ends I would expect a drop to around the 44-46% for TC. What will play an even bigger role than home/road is the competition. And 3 of those 9 road opponents, BC, Miami, and Maryland rank amongst the worse in the nation in 3p fg% defense. And we get BC and Miami at home as well.

Only two ACC teams hold their opponents under 30%, Duke and Wake Forest. Unfortunately, we get Duke at home as well.

Cheers,
Neil

Sgt Cuse said:
But there is a reason - it's called away games. He is currently at 19% careerwise in away games. And so far this has not improved this year - he is 0% this year (0-3 at MSG). And while not included in the numbers, he was nothing special up in Canada (around 30% I believe). Cooney has shown tremendous improvement. The next needed step in his progression is to step up in away environments.

Still hoping huh?

Cooney is 1st in the ACC in Offensive Rating, 4th in the country. I don't even remember what ORating is (i'm assuming number of points responsible for per 100 possessions or something.). 4th in the country in any positive stat is always good. He's also top 10 in the NCAA in 3 pointers made and 3 pt % but not attempts.

I understand that Cooney hasn't proven himself on the road yet this year but I think its also unfair to say he isn't a good road shooter. He wasn't making shots anywhere last year, this year he is but has only had one road game where the defensive strategy was to take him away and our counter was to let Ennis drive off the space that created and feed the big guys. He shot well at the neutral sight games thus far sure Maui had some loose rims but from deep they still have to be close to go in and last I checked loose rims do not help the ball go in when its a swish anyways. I say we let the kid get 4-5 road games under his belt before we declare it a weakness which it may be although I don't think it will be.

I understand that Cooney hasn't proven himself on the road yet this year but I think its also unfair to say he isn't a good road shooter. He wasn't making shots anywhere last year, this year he is but has only had one road game where the defensive strategy was to take him away and our counter was to let Ennis drive off the space that created and feed the big guys. He shot well at the neutral sight games thus far sure Maui had some loose rims but from deep they still have to be close to go in and last I checked loose rims do not help the ball go in when its a swish anyways. I say we let the kid get 4-5 road games under his belt before we declare it a weakness which it may be although I don't think it will be.
But if it was a weakness last year, and we don't have data that it is yet corrected, shouldn't we at least consider it a question mark?

I think his current year away from the dome % of 41 is good. But as alluded to earlier I think that figure is currently pretty soft, consisting of the forgiving rims at Maui and the less than hostile confines of MSG. I hope he can maintain the 41%.

And as I tried to explain to SUSScuse, if Cooney is able to maintain the away percentage, just having so many more away games in the mix will dilute his overall percentage. Instead of a third of the games away from the dome, at least half the remaining games will be away from the dome.

"And so far this has not improved this year - he is 0% this year (0-3 at MSG)."

So one "official" away game is a trend to make a statement about this year? Hmm. If your point is about shooting competency in different venues, then you should be counting the Maui games - if your point is just to be negative or critical - then I get it.

The St John's game was on a Sunday our only one to date - maybe that's the actual critical factor- not that it was an official away game. :rolleyes: I have to give credit where credit is due though -that had to be hard work to restrict your argument to his worst game and find a way to work the stats to choose Cooney to criticize for a lack of improvement over last year. Very inventive. ;)

Cooney is currently shooting 49% from the field, 51% from 3, and 89% from the line. If he maintains this pace, this would have to go down as the most efficient shooting season for any player in the Boeheim era that I am aware of.

The NBA has an exclusive "50-40-90" club with guys who had those averages over a season with a minimum number of attempts: they are Bird, Mark Price, Reggie Miller, Steve Nash, Dirk and Durant. Obviously it's much harder to do over an 82 game season - I'm just saying its a very impressive statistical feat.

Also, Rak is very quietly shooting 75% from the field.

I thought Rak played an excellent game against Nova. A definitely improvement over last year's effort for him!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom