Some info / tidbits about Minnesota football | Syracusefan.com

Some info / tidbits about Minnesota football

RF2044

Living Legend
So, I live in Minneapolis -- and unfortunately get exposed to Minnesota football just as a function of the games being on in the background when I'm out watching other games. I don't follow the Gophers, and in fact can't stand the B1G in general, or the U of M fanbase in particular -- they are delusional morons. But here is some high level information about our 2022 Pinstripe Bowl opponent:

• Their head coach, PJ Fleck, is from the Greg Schiano coaching tree. Like Schiano, he is a demonstrative buffoon who loves slogans ["Row the Boat" for U of M, instead of "Chop the Wood" for RU], ranting and raving, and running down the sidelines between quarters. Unlike Schiano, he's actually a reasonably decent coach.
  • Minnesota hangs their hat on defense, and they are below average on offense. Big, physical defense that likes to hit.
  • Their QB [Tanner Morgan] stinks. He has all sorts of program passing records, but is a 6th year guy who has started for more than 4. He's highly experienced, but kind of a below average game manager type. Their fanbase is really torn on Morgan, because he has never developed into anything beyond a stop gap type of starter, but they don't have anybody better. And since he's been there so exceedingly long, with COVID, etc. he's a much maligned fixture.
  • Their RB is a stud. Big, physical bruiser who excels between the tackles. He's another 6th year guy who had been injured in the past, and got a little knicked up this year.
  • Offense is highly pedestrian, but they can get going when they run the ball effectively. If they are in a dogfight and have to throw, they struggle.

As stated, I don't follow them closely, but I've probably caught parts of 6 or more games throughout the year -- actively rooting against them. We can win, but we need to get healthy on offense. If it turns into a rock fight type of game, that plays to their strengths on both sides of the ball.

RF2044 I live in MN too (Chanhassen) & follow both MN & Syracuse football closely. Besides Mark Coyle I probably have owned more MN & Syracuse apparel than anyone.

MN QB Tanner Morgan had missed the past couple of games due to his second recent concussion so it’s likely MN redshirt freshman Kaliakmanis will start at QB. He’s raw but has some talent both running and throwing. The key to the game will be if Syracuse can get a lead and slow down future NFL horse MN RB Ibraham.

RF2044 I live in MN too (Chanhassen) & follow both MN & Syracuse football closely. Besides Mark Coyle I probably have owned more MN & Syracuse apparel than anyone.

MN QB Tanner Morgan had missed the past couple of games due to his second recent concussion so it’s likely MN redshirt freshman Kaliakmanis will start at QB. He’s raw but has some talent both running and throwing. The key to the game will be if Syracuse can get a lead and slow down future NFL horse MN RB Ibraham.
Wonder if Ibrahim will opt out?

Hey! I live in Maple grove, but I'm highly familiar with chanhassen. Thanks for the extra info, as mentioned earlier I don't follow them closely.

I see we have at least one gopher fan that has joined us, maybe we can get a take from him as well…

The real question now is who’s apparel will you be repping during the game ;)

I see we have at least one gopher fan that has joined us, maybe we can get a take from him as well…
I posted a few quick thoughts in another thread here that I'll link below, but feel free to hit me up with any questions. I look forward to learning more about Syracuse as I haven't followed the ACC much this year. A couple of you should come visit us at GopherHole.com to share similarly.

Post in thread 'Minnesota…' Minnesota…

I posted a few quick thoughts in another thread here that I'll link below, but feel free to hit me up with any questions. I look forward to learning more about Syracuse as I haven't followed the ACC much this year. A couple of you should come visit us at GopherHole.com to share similarly.

Post in thread 'Minnesota…' Minnesota…
Ahh welcome to our home and our shared passion and hatred for all things orange!

So, I live in Minneapolis -- and unfortunately get exposed to Minnesota football just as a function of the games being on in the background when I'm out watching other games. I don't follow the Gophers, and in fact can't stand the B1G in general, or the U of M fanbase in particular -- they are delusional morons. But here is some high level information about our 2022 Pinstripe Bowl opponent:

• Their head coach, PJ Fleck, is from the Greg Schiano coaching tree. Like Schiano, he is a demonstrative buffoon who loves slogans ["Row the Boat" for U of M, instead of "Chop the Wood" for RU], ranting and raving, and running down the sidelines between quarters. Unlike Schiano, he's actually a reasonably decent coach.
  • Minnesota hangs their hat on defense, and they are below average on offense. Big, physical defense that likes to hit.
  • Their QB [Tanner Morgan] stinks. He has all sorts of program passing records, but is a 6th year guy who has started for more than 4. He's highly experienced, but kind of a below average game manager type. Their fanbase is really torn on Morgan, because he has never developed into anything beyond a stop gap type of starter, but they don't have anybody better. And since he's been there so exceedingly long, with COVID, etc. he's a much maligned fixture.
  • Their RB is a stud. Big, physical bruiser who excels between the tackles. He's another 6th year guy who had been injured in the past, and got a little knicked up this year.
  • Offense is highly pedestrian, but they can get going when they run the ball effectively. If they are in a dogfight and have to throw, they struggle.

As stated, I don't follow them closely, but I've probably caught parts of 6 or more games throughout the year -- actively rooting against them. We can win, but we need to get healthy on offense. If it turns into a rock fight type of game, that plays to their strengths on both sides of the ball.
Ha “ delusional morons“, lol. I swear to God, I wrote this before I just read yours,

But yeah it appears with black and white online evidence that you’re spot on in your assessment as was my reaction as well. Wow

Info for the masses:
1670223225023.jpeg

Info for the masses:
View attachment 222783

One more item I meant to include in the OP, but which your post demonstrates -- Minnesota [I'm looking at you, Coyle] has long utilized the technique of scheduling their way to bowl eligibility. Every season, they play tomato cans early to pad the "W" column and push them toward bowl eligibility.

Second point: the only comparable data point is Purdue. We beat them, U of M lost.

Third data point, they were ranked early in the season, then fell out after the three game losing streak, and never got back into the rankings.

Neither of those points necessarily implies that it will be an easy game, just providing the info as observation.

The smack talk of the mid-level bowl game is always the best - schedule shots, inflation of abilities, etc. It always ends up two good to mediocre teams battling it out.

This one seems sort of easy - they are going to ram it down our throats like ND, FSU and sort of Clemson. IF we can hold up on the run game all day - we win.

The smack talk of the mid-level bowl game is always the best - schedule shots, inflation of abilities, etc. It always ends up two good to mediocre teams battling it out.

This one seems sort of easy - they are going to ram it down our throats like ND, FSU and sort of Clemson. IF we can hold up on the run game all day - we win.
Just watched the brief Pinstripe discussion on the Big 10 Network. Not surprisingly they these hacks had nothing positive to say about SU, said they will ram their rushing game to a win, and that the game will be about 2 teams going in opposite directions. Of course no self-recognition of their weak sister schedule.

Just watched the brief Pinstripe discussion on the Big 10 Network. Not surprisingly they these hacks had nothing positive to say about SU, said they will ram their rushing game to a win, and that the game will be about 2 teams going in opposite directions. Of course no self-recognition of their weak sister schedule.

B1G analysts and fans are the worst.

Our offense has a lot to say about how the defense will manage.

Am I to understand they only beat a single Power 5 bowl eligible team (6-6 Wisconsin)?

Big ten fan boys are weird. They think players on the other B1G teams somehow impact talent level on their own rosters.

Had an oddly familiar Convo with a UM fan about how Joey Porter was better than GW prior to the Purdue game last Saturday. Reminds me of Purdue fan's affliction with Mustipher earlier this season. Aside from OSU and Michigan and some from PSU this year the drop off is steep.

Gophers don't have any of their caliber suiting up this season.