Some Monday Morning Trivia | Syracusefan.com

Some Monday Morning Trivia

W'boro'Cuse315

All American
Some friends & I were discussing how our entire 8-man rotation consists of only players born in NYS (Hughes, Buddy, JGIII, HoWash) & foreign-born players (Sid, Marek, Quincy, & Edwards). We’ve had 3 NYS-born players in the starting 5 all year, first with Carey & then continuing with JGIII replacing him.

My question is this: Prior to this year’s opener, when was the last time we started 3 NYS-born players in a game?

I took the time to look it up & the answer was surprising. I could simply post it, but what fun would that be?

Last edited:
Some friends & I were discussing how our entire 8-man rotation consists of only players born in NYS (Hughes, Buddy, JGIII, HoWash) & foreign-born players (Sid, Marek, Quincy, & Edwards). We’ve had 3 NYS-born players in the starting 5 all year, first with Carey & then continuing with JGIII replacing him.

My question is this: Prior to this year’s opener, when was the last time we started 3 NYS-born players in a game?

I took the time to look it up & the answer was surprising. I could simply post it, but what fun would that be? Y’all have until midnight :)
It happened all the time in the late 1970s with Rosie, Shack, Marty B, Marty H and Eddie Moss.

Off the top of my head, the Final Four team in 1996 had it with Cipolla, JW and Z.

After that, I can't think of a team, but I might be blanking on it. We had a couple JD guys out there and were close a few times...

Is it ‘09?

harris, flynn, rautins?
Damn, that was quick. Correct, a 1/25/09 home loss to Louisville. Congrats, you get a “Like” & my admiration but beyond that...

449C0BCC-307E-4565-B1D5-93CD80078DD3.gif

It happened all the time in the late 1970s with Rosie, Shack, Marty B, Marty H and Eddie Moss.

Off the top of my head, the Final Four team in 1996 had it with Cipolla, JW and Z.

After that, I can't think of a team, but I might be blanking on it. We had a couple JD guys out there and were close a few times...
Rautins. Triche. DC. Lydon.

All born in NYS I believe but I don’t think 3 of them played together

Buddy & Carey each started games alongside Hughes last year. In ‘16-‘17, Coleman & Taurean Thompson started games alongside Lydon but never all 3 together. ‘12-‘13 was also close with both Coleman & Southerland starting games alongside Triche but again, never all together.

Dominance established

People have been saying it since the 1980s, you own the recruiting trail along the NYS Thruway...you own it all.

People have been saying it since the 1980s, you own the recruiting trail along the NYS Thruway...you own it all.
Really? I'm not arguing the fact I just have never heard it. However, if you start in NYC and drive to Buffalo, you could pick up quite a few All Americans/Hall of Famers.

Really? I'm not arguing the fact I just have never heard it. However, if you start in NYC and drive to Buffalo, you could pick up quite a few All Americans/Hall of Famers.
And you could stop in Scranton to pick up Gerry along the way!