Some NCAA quotes about drug testing | Syracusefan.com

Some NCAA quotes about drug testing

The NCAA can't levy any sanctions against Syracuse because the NCAA didn't conduct the tests. This is something that is taken care of, IN HOUSE, & the NCAA has NO CONTROL over it...

The NCAA can't levy any sanctions against Syracuse because the NCAA didn't conduct the tests. This is something that is taken care of, IN HOUSE, & the NCAA has NO CONTROL over it...

Read paragraph 3 in the article again

I'm not sure it's even possible for the NCAA to have a blanket policy, I think they are handling this about the only way they can. The NCAA is made up of such a diverse group of institutions in all 50 states...trying to have a uniform testing policy that complies with all state laws would be nearly impossible.

Without looking it up, I'd expect that some public university athletes are somewhat shielded from random, not-for-cause testing by laws related to the fourth amendment. Those institutions would not even be legally able to comply with the testing program in place at a private university like Syracuse. So the best the NCAA can do is what they've done - rely on individual member institutions to determine what policy they will follow, and then hold them accountable for actually doing so.

To add to some of the possible conflicts for the NCAA is that Doritos are a big sponsor for CBS and March Madness.

moral of the story don't have any drug testing. Wait until the NCAA figures out a policy.

I don't want to get all ideological, but it's a natural tendency of governing bodies to believe that they are a force for good and, consequently, to think it's a good thing to expand their jurisdiction over everything they can. Just ask my homeowners association. The reason for the NCAA's existence is to ensure a level playing field and uniform rules for member schools when they competre against each other. When member schools can make their own policies on an issue, or have no policies at all, it seems insane to me that the NCAA would have a basis for investigating (and theoretically sanctioning) a school for doing something that some other school is perfectly free to do because it has a different policy or no policy at all.

i guess what i get out of this,is that no school should have a drug policy in addition to the ncaa.if they truly want to protect the student athelete,they should not penalize any instituton that has a more specific policy than they do. they should be encouraging this approach,that is actually addressing the issues in a far more caring and pre-emptive manner than the ncaa does. instead their approach is more about "gotcha"to the student and institution rather than appreciative to the school. not a fan of calipari,but for the most part now the ncaa is f/u,obsolete,and archaic. ncaa bottom line is lets screw most anyone we can at anytime for any reason. yes sports needs a oversight agency,but not the rediculous ncaa. they need revamping,analysis,blah,blah

My feelings on this is if Syracuse put this policy in place then they should also stand behind it and not just put it out there just for show. I realize that the NCAA is as organized as scrambled eggs but if you have a policy stand behind it and man up if a kids smokes some pot and fails the test, you can't have it both ways and when you try it comes back to bite you twofold.

I think we are coming to a choice soon, the NCAA (in theory) or the SEC way of doing things. Colleges and universities are going to have to make that choice and trying to "have it all" when everybody is using or working under different rules is extremely difficult.

My feelings on this is if Syracuse put this policy in place then they should also stand behind it and not just put it out there just for show. I realize that the NCAA is as organized as scrambled eggs but if you have a policy stand behind it and man up if a kids smokes some pot and fails the test, you can't have it both ways and when you try it comes back to bite you twofold.

I think we are coming to a choice soon, the NCAA (in theory) or the SEC way of doing things. Colleges and universities are going to have to make that choice and trying to "have it all" when everybody is using or working under different rules is extremely difficult.
every University should play by the same rules.

From the article:

"That is the case at Syracuse, where officials responded to a Yahoo! Sports report on Monday that alleged the university allowed 10 basketball players over the past decade to practice and play despite being in violation of the school’s drug policy."

I had read elsewhere on this board that 8 of those players had failed a single urine test. Failure of a single test does not require a player to be suspended according to what I have read about the SU policy. The other two players supposedly failed 3 and 4 tests respectively. This is where the violations MAY have taken place according to my understanding of the policy.

So why even mention the 8 guys who failed once? Because it makes illicit drug use sound rampant and SU basketball out-of-control? Yes, I think that is exactly why Forde/Robinson mentioned it.

From the article:

"That is the case at Syracuse, where officials responded to a Yahoo! Sports report on Monday that alleged the university allowed 10 basketball players over the past decade to practice and play despite being in violation of the school’s drug policy."

I had read elsewhere on this board that 8 of those players had failed a single urine test. Failure of a single test does not require a player to be suspended according to what I have read about the SU policy. The other two players supposedly failed 3 and 4 tests respectively. This is where the violations MAY have taken place according to my understanding of the policy.

So why even mention the 8 guys who failed once? Because it makes illicit drug use sound rampant and SU basketball out-of-control? Yes, I think that is exactly why Forde/Robinson mentioned it.
If they were counseled they could still play I thought I read somewhere. Were they not being counseled? I'm confused.

I'd estimate 30% of the people (generally high school graduates) we tender a conditional employment offer to never actually get employed because they fail the initial drug test. God only knows how many get by because they fake the test. I doubt many people really realize how prevalent drug use is in the US, having ten college kids out of around forty-fifty fail a drug test over ten years strikes me as at worst average. I'd bet every high level DI team has similar results (if they are testing at a similar rate as Syracuse).

It only paints Syracuse as out-of-control for people that have a very Pollyanna-ish world view.

every University should play by the same rules.

Not in the real world they don't, welcome to the corporate world. On paper things sound nice when when push comes to shove and the almighty dollar shows its head we get to see how those rules really get worked and applied.

Not in the real world they don't, welcome to the corporate world. On paper things sound nice when when push comes to shove and the almighty dollar shows its head we get to see how those rules really get worked and applied.
welcome to the corrupt world.

I'd estimate 30% of the people (generally high school graduates) we tender a conditional employment offer to never actually get employed because they fail the initial drug test. God only knows how many get by because they fake the test. I doubt many people really realize how prevalent drug use is in the US, having ten college kids out of around forty-fifty fail a drug test over ten years strikes me as at worst average. I'd bet every high level DI team has similar results (if they are testing at a similar rate as Syracuse).

It only paints Syracuse as out-of-control for people that have a very Pollyanna-ish world view.

News outlets like Yahoo want to create news instead of cover it, the quick splash and hits they get for an article like that gives them the attention they so desired. Good old rosebud is here to stay and the public falls for it over and over again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom