Some Numbers to Digest for Breakfast | Syracusefan.com

Some Numbers to Digest for Breakfast

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Thought it would be interesting to see how the players on the team break down in terms of production per minute. Thought it would also be interesting to see this breakdown over time as well.

So what follows is that breakdown, which goes back 12 seasons. Note that the highest number for a given stat is highlighted and the lowest is italicized. This helps to identify special performances.

You can see this team has some players doing special things. MCW is producing assists at an astonishing rate, but is also producing turnovers at a really high rate. BMK is getting more offensive rebounds than any Orangeman this millennium. And DC2 is doing doing an incredible job rebounding the ball...better than anyone we have had in many years. He is really good on the offensive side but outstanding on the defensive boards.

A few other things:

Mookie was a really interesting player who was off the charts in multiple areas, including getting steals. Of course, a lot of his numbers were put up at garbage time against bad teams. If you ignore his steals record from last year, MCW would have the highest steals per minute this year as well.

Melo's points per minute is going to be tough to beat. Remarkable efficiency.

DC2 is also really good at drawing fouls, getting the FT line. If he plays 4 years and gets decent minutes, he is going to take a huge number of FTs. Lastly, he is turning the ball over at an alarming rate. Couple his TO rate with MCW's and BT's and wow, we are turning the ball over a lot for a team that doesn't get a lot of transition baskets. This has to improve.

While you see a lot of change in production per game over the course of a career, you don't see much most of the time in production per minute. MCW was really good at getting assists and turnover prone as a frosh, Rick Jackson was a good rebounder the whole time he was at Syracuse, etc. This is why I, for instance, do not see Rakim ever becoming a really good rebounder.

Attachments

• Per Minute A.pdf
    13.4 KB · Views: 42
Or you could do it per 40 minutes.

Or you could do it per 40 minutes.

Or, you could just multiply by 40 if that is the way you prefer the data.

Thanks Tom, interesting stuff!

Tom, I must be reading the document wrong.

It looks to me like these are RJ's rebounds per minute:

Frosh - 0.232
Soph - 0.261
Jr - 0.267
Sr - 0.289

Rak's

Frosh - 0.254
Soph - 0.268

Now I'm sure the Soph numbers will go down now that we are entering the BE schedule. But I'm not sure this shows RJ was always a good rebounder and Rak will not be one. What am I missing or not interpreting right about these numbers?

Cheers,
Neil

Or, you could just multiply by 40 if that is the way you prefer the data.

Thanks Tom, interesting stuff!

I've been doing it for years.