Some points about the game | Syracusefan.com

Some points about the game

K

kingottoiii

Every time WV scored, we countered with a TD of our own. That was huge as it never allowed them to gain momentum.

We ran 6 plays out of the Spread Option playbook yesterday. Loved the play fakes to Provo.

We converted on 3rd down all night. Of the first 8 times we faced 3rd down, we got a first down 7 times. Some of that was WV helping us with an offsides and then the PF, which was a lucky call for us. And the 9th 3rd down we faced it looked like Stevens was interfered with.

One of the biggest 3rd downs we converted on the night was our first drive of the 2nd half. WV had just cut the lead to 21-16. This year we have had a 3rd Q funk. And it looked liked more of the same after the first two plays. We ran Bailey up the middle for the customary yard and a half. Then we ran Bailey again for 4 yards. Next is where we have failed all season. The 3rd and 5. But this time Nassib hit Chew. After that we got going and scored, never looking back. Huge conversion. That was a play that coulda have changed the game.

We made plays. Lemon two big plays. Once bailing Nassib out of an INT, then Bailey. Both Kobena and Graham had big returns. Graham made two difficult 3rd down catches and West another. Bailey busted a few runs. Chandler too many to mention. Wilkes a big INT before half. And the Phil Thomas INT.

Another huge play was Rene not fumbling that punt. He shoulda called a FC.

Just about everything went right. Only four plays didn't go our way. The KO out of bounds (why does this seem to happen so often over the years?). The long TD where Scott and Wilkes fell. The lined up in the neutral zone on a 3rd down stop. The Hay PF.

I was really surprised that WV didn't try and attack the outside with their speedy WRs vs our CBs. They didn't look to go to the sidelines much. Also they beat us down the field 3 times and just missed on a 4th. They never tried to exploit that. I know that some of that was due to the pressure, but IMO they didn't attack our weakness enough. That and the lack of run plays vs our Okie package. Wouldn't that have helped slow down the pass rush?

Awful clock management by Marrone before half. The plays we called were debatable. What wasn't debatable IMO was not running more clock before the 2nd and 3rd down calls. We were lucky it didn't burn us. Marrone did similar vs Toledo earlier in the year. I was also surprised that WV didn't take a TO after the 2nd down play. It would have saved them a lot of time. If Marrone keeps playing with fire, we will eventually get burnt.

What was up with the refs on the last Provo TD? It wasn't even a close play. It sounded like the ref said that Provo caught the ball, took a step, and then lost the ball. Thus it is incomplete. I swear that is what he said. That doesn't even make sense. Do they even know the rules? At that point it is either a TD or a fumble, which I was worried they would call. I was also worried they thought he didn't control the ball through the play and it was incomplete, but that woulda been BS since he took a step. I really dunno what they were thinking. Their explanation made zero sense.

Another great job by Marrone and Shafer with their game planning. Big win and a lot of fun having around 42k in the Dome for a night game. Hopefully we keep this going and are back.

I believe the 2nd or 3rd down snap was with :06 on the play clock. That whole series was very poorly managed.

44cuse

I believe the 2nd or 3rd down snap was with :06 on the play clock. That whole series was very poorly managed.

44cuse

Instead of having to risk a punt block or a punt return or a hail mary we could have run the clock out. The 2nd down play was snapped with 24 seconds on the play clock!!! We could have taken 20 seconds off the clock there and never punted. 3rd down was snapped with 6 seconds left so that isn't a big deal. It did give WV one more play, but I wouldn't call it in isolation a terrible offense. But combined with the other one we kept well over 20 seconds on the clock. With 1:26 left at your own 18 and only 1 TO left, it is not a time to be agressive.

Also I was shocked WV didn't use a TO after the 2nd down play to stop the clock at 1:00 left.

I knew
Instead of having to risk a punt block or a punt return or a hail mary we could have run the clock out. The 2nd down play was snapped with 24 seconds on the play clock!!! We could have taken 20 seconds off the clock there and never punted. 3rd down was snapped with 6 seconds left so that isn't a big deal. It did give WV one more play, but I wouldn't call it in isolation a terrible offense. But combined with the other one we kept well over 20 seconds on the clock. With 1:26 left at your own 18 and only 1 TO left, it is not a time to be agressive.

Also I was shocked WV didn't use a TO after the 2nd down play to stop the clock at 1:00 left.
I knew one of those downs was at :06 and also was shocked WVU did not call a TO. Weird sequence.

44cuse

Another thing I think Jake brought up as a nitpick that is killing us is starting drive position on kickoffs. At least the 35 everytime

44cuse
said the same thing to my brother at the game. was a horrible series of downs

One of the biggest 3rd downs we converted on the night was our first drive of the 2nd half. WV had just cut the lead to 21-16. This year we have had a 3rd Q funk. And it looked liked more of the same after the first two plays. We ran Bailey up the middle for the customary yard and a half. Then we ran Bailey again for 4 yards. Next is where we have failed all season. The 3rd and 5. But this time Nassib hit Chew. After that we got going and scored, never looking back. Huge conversion. That was a play that coulda have changed the game.
Yeah, I agree. I was really worried on the two run plays that didn't go for much that we were going into a shell and were going to attempt to gut out another one. I thought we needed to keep the pressure on, and it looked on that conversion like confidence was high and they rode the wave to a score, and then they kept executing and putting it in the endzone. Pretty awesome stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom