Some points on the game | Syracusefan.com

Some points on the game

K

kingottoiii

So I watched the game again and wanted to make these points.

-Marrone: Can anyone explain his thinking end of half? This guy needs help ASAP. His end of halves have been awful and we are lucky we have only be burnt once. Please someone sign him up for a time management class this off season. With 1:35 left at the 11 yard line facing a 2nd and 7, he calls a TO. Really? At most you need 6 plays there. You have 2 TOs and the clock stops on the first down. You can run the ball 5 times and still have plenty of time for a FG. Why call the TO? Even if you want to use it to regroup, let 3o seconds go off the clock. Guess what this bone headed move cost us big time. 17-10 vs 20-10 is a huge difference. In fact we woulda kicked a FG either of those 4th down 4th Q drives. Why? Because it cuts the score to 20-13 and only 1 score. Instead we were down 23-10 and a FG keeps it two scores.

Speaking of which I am not sure it was a good idea to go for it on either of those. There was a lot of time left. Not converting kills moral. Personally I don't like taking chances on 4th down or with 2 pt conversions until under 10 to go in the 4th. Obviously each game is different and you need to judge off that and other factors. The first one I can understand more as we were inside the 10. The second however was a 4th and long play. Then again we needed a spark and who knows how healthy Ross was. I am not disagreeing with Marrone here, but not argeeing either.

I was surprised that after the onside kick we had our 2nd string D in. USF had the ball at the 45. We had 3 TOs. Why not try and hold them to 3? Or even force a punt? We were only down 13. A FG keeps us alive. Found that odd. Then when we do get the ball back he uses a TO with 9 seconds left. How can you give up on D and then play to the end on O?

-Gameplan: It didn't make much sense to me. By now we all know that we need to get the O going early. We need to get Nassib into a rhythm. Even Marrone stated this before the game to Rahme. So how do we start the game? The first 7 plays are run plays and we ran it the first SIX first downs. What?

-Play calling: This kinda ties in with the above point. Our second play we had a 2nd and 2. Normally I am a run it every time in that situation. However our running game stinks and we NEEDED to get Nassib some early throws. Was this not the perfect time to call an easy pass off the play action? I thought that BEFORE the play.

Then came the next drive. The second play we had a 2nd and 6, calling a draw for 5 yards. Nothing wrong with the play, but is that not another good time to pass and get Nassib going? Later on that that drive we had a 2nd and 10. In that position you want to make sure you get some yards. What do we call? A deep pass to Chew. That is a low percentage play for a good QB. But with Nassib it is an insane call. You are pretty much guaranteeing a 3rd and 10 there. I agree we need to take deep shots no matter how bad Nassib is at it. But there is a time and place, and that was neither. Not to mention that was Nassib's FIRST PASS of the day. Awful call.

A play that I hate is when we have 4 guys go out in a passing situation and run inside curls and outside flat routes. Too easy to defend. We ran it our third drive on a 2nd and 12. Nassib had no where to go with it. Even if he completes a pass we have a 3rd and long.

Then to start the 2nd half down 13 we decide to run it twice. This left us in a 3rd and 9. Not what we needed. It was obvious by then we weren't going to pound the ball and win. We still needed to run it to keep them honest. But for God's sake mix it up.

I am tired of splitting Stevens out on passing situations. It makes no sense. I like the kid and think he adds value. But when we are in a passing situation there is no way he should be split outside or in the slot over a WR. He adds value as a TE in run/pass situations. Thats when we use him. We ran a slant to him in the 4th Q. Really? We also had him on one play in the slot and Nassib hit him put he couldn't turn the corner and got a short gain. A WR with more speed does turn it upfield. This is a coaching error making bad personnel decisions.

-Missed Catches: Some of these were drops. Some were hard plays that coulda been caught. Some were just miscues. Our third drive we had a 3rd down and Nassib threw a timing route right at the first down marker. West went 4 yards past the first down marker and had not turned yet. Lemon had a hard diving catch that looked like a catch but couldn't hang on. Not his fault but missed opportunity. Nassib threw a slant to Graham that the ref was in the way and distracted Graham causing the INC. Graham later dropped a TD before half. Second half Graham took a big hit and couldn't hang on. Wales dropped a 2nd down play that resulted in a 3rd and 3. We later punted. Stevens dropped a TD. Wales had a shot at the 4th down ball Nassib toss up for grabs. Graham had another drop. A slant to Stevens he couldn't fight threw the DB (although it was PI). We had a false start on Hay where it looked like we woulda had Lemon on a slant. Lemon in the endzoen was overthrown, although was PI. Lemon dropped a 4th down TD. Provo had a drop. West had a drop.

-Nassib: His first pass deep to Chew was awful. Our second drive ended in a sack. He should have checked the blocking. The DE was very wide and no way in hell Hay was getting to him. Normally you do not want the RB to pick up a DE. But that gave us the only shot at getting a block there. Hay just isn't good enough. He made the Lemon dive a little too hard of a play. He had a great throw while scrambling to hit Provo. Later he threw it a little high to Lemon, who made a nice catch on the 3rd down play. Later they connected for the TD. The drive before half he scrambled twice, one of which was a third and long. This allowed us to get a FB. He really ran well all day when nothing was there. Later he had another 3rd and long run for a first as well. He led Graham right into a S, resulting in a pass breakup on 3rd down. The TD pass to Lemon was a thing of beauty.

-Refs: I will start with a play that we benefitted. On the kick return before half Graham stopped running but the whistle blew late. USF tossed him to the ground. It was a close call that coulda been let go. Also teh deep pass USF completed before half coulda been a PI call. Now for the mess. USF's PR took a few steps after calling a fair catch. No call. The PI call on Anderson was BS. The WR stumbled. The late hit by Ball was BS. He fell on BJ, but left his feet as BJ was on his way down. I know they try and protect QBs but this was still BS. The Lemon dive looked like a catch live. The two refs near the play ruled it as such. The ref with no angle and no where near the play, who just happened to be on USF's sideline over rulled it. What? Looking at the replay I think Lemon did not keep his hand under it. But you couldn't tell for sure. So if the refs called it a catch on the field it would have stood. That ended our drive. USF was then backed up deep and the RB knee bounced and the refs let it go, resulting in 3 more yards. USF then ran a play right away so it couldn't be reviewed. On our kickoff before half the guy started to run after calling a fair catch, no call. Second half Davis was jumping to deflect a pass. He landed into BJ and got called for a roughing the passer. Rene was hit after calling a fair catch, no call. Stevens was pushed on a slant, no call. Lemon was interfered with in the endzone, no call.

-STs: Every time we get some momentum after a TD we kick it out of bounds. Having it happen one time is too many. Having it happen 3-4 times a year is a joke. If we are calling kicks to the left, then stop it coaches. We cannot execute it. Then on top of that what a dumb play by Kobena hitting the returner. Also how is it that Raupers could put it in the endzone in HS but can't reach the 10 now? Also enough with the directional punts. This must be difficult because NFL punters screw this up. So why have college kids try it? Fisher was trying to aim right on that 12 yard punt. After that he punted it straight and did it well. Including one that was downed at the 1. I am not a good golfer, but when I have a straight tee box I can hit it straight most of the time. However when I have an angle I never hit it straight. I have no clue why. I am guessing we are seeing the same with these punts.

-Blocking: We can't run block. Plain and simple. However we have doen a decent job this year vs the pass. Hay got beat bad the play I think Nassib should have switched it to Bailey, resulting in a sack. We had some momentum on O at the USF 37. Pugh was called for a hold making it 1st and 20. We later punted. Bailey whiffed on a block resulting in a sack. Hay had a false start where it looked like we woulda had Lemon on a slant.

-D: We played better the first two Qs than I remembered. We started off with a great hit on a bubble screen by Phil. Fisher made a nice pass breakup on a 3rd down. Wilkes did a good job to breakup that pass the last play of the half. Spruill made a nice TFL. USF's first points were a result of the short field. The next score was aided by questionable penalties. Then the long pass before half was helped by the short field. And the FG before half should have never happened. The first drive of the 3rd, it would have been nice to make a stop. But we did hold them to 3 and they did not score again until under 10 mins in the 4th. The D didn't help the first three Qs, but they also didn't kill us.

Now for the issues on D. Marinovich has been invisible this year. He had a shot at a TFL, that resulted in a 5 yard gain. Spruill has been invisible the last two weeks vs these read option teams. USF's first TD drive we didn't go goaline on 4th and 2. Why? Not only that, why the hell is Crume not in on that play? We make a stop there it is huge. Shamarko missed a sack on the drive before half. It may have prevented the FG. He has struggled since coming back. Not the same player. On a play in the 4th Q he took himself out of position and then fell. In the process he took out Vaughan and Chandler. It resulted in a long run by BJ. A few plays later USF had a 3rd and 5. Shamarko could have read the slant and broken up the play. This woulda been huge as it makes it 26-10 vs 30-10, meaning we are only down to scores. Instead he reacted late resulting in a first down. To start the second half USF had a 2nd and 10 at their own 10. Result: 23 yard run by BJ. We could have made a statement coming out of half and failed to do so. We got lucky on that fumble through the endzone. Guy was wide open too.

Wow. Great write up. My only bone to pick is your disagreement with marrone going on 4th down those couple of times

I like how marrone is actually aware of the probability research that shows the old school strategies don't give you the highest expected outcome for success long term. Just because george Halas ALWAYS punted on 4th and 13 doesn't mean it was sound strategy.

Edit: sorry. Missed the last sentence where you said you didn't really agree or disagree

Wow. Great write up. My only bone to pick is your disagreement with marrone going on 4th down those couple of times

I like how marrone is actually aware of the probability research that shows the old school strategies don't give you the highest expected outcome for success long term. Just because george Halas ALWAYS punted on 4th and 13 doesn't mean it was sound strategy.

Edit: sorry. Missed the last sentence where you said you didn't really agree or disagree

It is a tough call and you can go either way. In general I like to extend the game as long as possible. At the same time we needed a game changing play badly. I think I woulda went for it the first time and (assuming RK could kick accurately) gone for three the 2nd. I think it was difficult to convert the 4th and long. And once we missed, the team seemed like they were done. USF went right down the field to put it away. Both were really either or plays. However if we were only down 10 like we should have been, I kick a FG in both cases.

It's an interesting paradox. Way too conservative play calling on first down yet he's constantly going on 4th

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom