Some questions for those who watched on TV | Syracusefan.com

Some questions for those who watched on TV

Cusefan69

All American
1. Helmet to helmet hit in first half, I think it was on Nixon. Did they show that in slow motion on tv? Was a no call but looked close to a flag.
2. Back of endzone TD by GT in 2nd half. No clear view in dome. Did player get foot down? From 301 it looked like his foot was in the Orange outside the endzone.
3. What happened on the on side kick? Who touched the ball?
4. Did they review the personal foul hit out of bounds in 4th qtr they called? Looked absolutely horrible call from the seats.

Allot of the replay views on the overhead weren't completely clear.

1. Helmet to helmet hit in first half, I think it was on Nixon. Did they show that in slow motion on tv? Was a no call but looked close to a flag.
2. Back of endzone TD by GT in 2nd half. No clear view in dome. Did player get foot down? From 301 it looked like his foot was in the Orange outside the endzone.
4. Did they review the personal foul hit out of bounds in 4th qtr they called? Looked absolutely horrible call from the seats.

The late hit call was legit. It wasn’t a very violent late hit… more of a shove. Also I’m guessing Lewis was just finishing the play. It wasn’t malicious or that dumb unlike Barron’s but it was definitely earned.

1. I didn’t see it happen, and it never came up during the broadcast as far as I remember.
2. He was in. It was close, but on replay he got one foot down in the end zone.
3. Villari went upfield and engaged a GT player, and the ball hit him while was engaged. He didn’t actually try to field it, it just hit him while he was being blocked.
4. It was a ticky tack call. Could have gone either way. If it was our player with the ball, I’d want the flag.

1) no replay no discussion of it at all
2) it was a TD, replay was clear. Barely in , but in for sure.
3) the announcer said OG hit it first but I thought it was Villari, hard to tell on the review.
4) they showed it. He hit him when he was clearly out. Close, but out.

Others have already commented on 2-4 which I agree with what they said. But agree on 1. I was surprised there was no commentary from the announcers and it wasn't reviewed.

1. They did show a replay, I remember after the play Nixon shook his head while tapping himself out, yes the defender did lead with his helmet but they both kind of did and I think was a good no call, that stuff is going to happen in football.
2. His foot appeared in but the replay was from far away
3. I think the ball hit Diggs elbow, not sure why he's even on that line, but poor coaching, multiple players should not have been in the 10 yard zone an should have stayed back, the ball wasn't going to go 10 yards, we bailed them out.
4. It was a late hit, and he popped him so it looked worse that it was, I wish it was a no call but hard to say the ref made a bad call because it was indeed a late hit

The helmet to helmet collision between Nixon and the GT defender was a hard hit. It was not intentional and just chalked up to a football play. It was in the first quarter. I saw it closely because I was lagging behind while recording.

Also the GT touchdown was close but he was inside the end zone.

The helmet to helmet collision between Nixon and the GT defender was a hard hit. It was not intentional and just chalked up to a football play. It was in the first quarter. I saw it closely because I was lagging behind while recording.

Also the GT touchdown was close but he was inside the end zone.
Is intent in the rule?

1. I wondered the same think because it was definitely helmet to helmet. However, might not have been crown of the helmet.
  2. Definitely in a catch.
  3. Looked like Diggs or Barron
  4. Cheapie but legit call

1 it looked like it should have been reviewed and called
2 yes. Correct call

3 tough to see, but just bad coverage

4. It was close but correct call was made

1. Nixon lowered his head, but the defender did not.

2. Looked like a TD but I didn’t see a great view.

3. Ball went off of Diggs’ leg for sure. Might have hit Villari too.

4. Was more of a push than a hit, but the GT guy was out of bounds at the time.

Is intent in the rule?
I don’t believe intent is included in the rules, but it was chalked up as a football play. Both players helmets collided at the end of the play. It was a hard collision, but not egregious on the defender’s part.

I don’t believe intent is included in the rules, but it was chalked up as a football play. Both players helmets collided at the end of the play. It was a hard collision, but not egregious on the defender’s part.
I saw the play and thought they would review it.
I didn’t think intent was a criteria but wasn’t sure.

1. If you're talking about the one where Nixon lowered his head, yes they hit helmet to helmet, BUT it could have easily been Nixon who got flagged. He lowered his head so that the crown of his helmet hit the defensive player.
2. Yes, he did
3. Missed it because I just knew something bad was going to happen and couldn't get myself to watch it live. lol
4. No, but it was a good call.

The late hit call was legit. It wasn’t a very violent late hit… more of a shove. Also I’m guessing Lewis was just finishing the play. It wasn’t malicious or that dumb unlike Barron’s but it was definitely earned.
But you would like the officiating to be consistent. In the first half Pena caught a pass, ran out of bounds, and stopped. A GT defender then took him to the ground. No flag. If the bump by Lewis was a penalty so was the late tackle on Pena. Call 'em both or don''t call either.

I think the main thing with 4 is that it was a very dumb play, hard hit or not.

I’m sure Fran has made that point. Loudly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan.Oversl

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom