Some stats. | Syracusefan.com

Some stats.

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Roberson had 17 rebounds

Rak had 12 shots. Cooney had 21. That should have been reversed.

We only had 8 turnovers.

Va tech ended up out shooting us from fg, 3, and ft.

We won the first half 42-23 and lost the second half 43-26. There were some very positive elements to the game, especially the play of Roberson but have to think it's going to be a subdued trip home...

The ball went into Rak a lot more than people think. He was getting surrounded and mugged sometimes. Many balls were tipped away too.

People act like it's easy to get Rak touches. Buzz chose to absolutely deny him the ball in the second half with as many bodies as it took. When teams do that, we have to make them pay in other areas. We had a difficult time of that in the second half.

Scotch said:
People act like it's easy to get Rak touches. Buzz chose to absolutely deny him the ball in the second half with as many bodies as it took. When teams do that, we have to make them pay in other areas. We had a difficult time of that in the second half.

So you watched the game.

We missed a ton of shots in the 2nd half. If we hit some of those, things loosen up for Rak. We didn't make them pay, like you said.

There's a difference between Rak just not being open, and our guards doing a poor job to get him open.

Tonight our guards were doing a poor job to get him open.

Between them, Patterson, Cooney, and Gbinije, they made 6-16 free throws.

Ball handlers have to make free throws. Period.
Yeah, I think Cooney shook his potatoes from the line today. Going to happen even to great shooters. Ron never took a foul shot until today so there's that. We have to do a better job regardless.

Trueblue25 said:
There's a difference between Rak just not being open, and our guards doing a poor job to get him open. Tonight our guards were doing a poor job to get him open.

So you didn't watch the game or how VT was playing.

The ball went into Rak a lot more than people think. He was getting surrounded and mugged sometimes. Many balls were tipped away too.
great point.
They were long entry passes not even to his sweet spot on the floor instead of short ones, and no swing passes to rak either.

imo, Bees I think this team folds against pressure defense
getting better against the press, good defensely, great in transition half court offense, but falls apart against pressure d right now teams get momentum when they bring it to us and unfortuanately we won't be able to practice against it all that well in practice. Need alot of in game work against it to get better.

Regardless, Tech's big men were in foul trouble, outsized and outrebounded. It's on the guards basketball IQ and JB's coaching not to center possessions around our big men.

Glad you asked, though you weren't writing to me. I live in Virginia and was going to go to the game today. The starter in my car failed to work this morning & after working on it for an hour decided I need parts, don't have ESPN, couldn't get firstrowsports to work for me, and followed the game on gamecast and the chat room. Was ok with not getting to the game when we were up big at the half but became more and more irritated with my car in the second half. I shoulda been there, as I'm sure my presence would have improved our FT shooting. I'm really glad we won or I'd be carrying a lot of guilt for the rest of the season.

Foul shooting continues to be awful. Frustrating there nobody I feel comfortable shooting a 1 and 1 in a one possession game.

But when they reversed the ball late he was able to seal better and scored a bucket and got fouled on a dunk attempt. Moving it from side to side and get the defense moving was the way to get him the ball. The high/low was defended well with a defender fronting and a weak side defender ready to come over to defend the lob pass. Also,a direct pass from the wing wasn't going to happen either with the way he was defended. Thier were some ways to get him in good position to score, but the defense was strong.

Agreed. No one made shots so Buzz packed it in tight on Rak. We should have a board film session and see where all of the missed post entry passes were because I certainly didn't see many.

This was a game, in which vTech was focused on Rak and Cooney got cold in the 2nd, whereG had to step up alot more than he did.
Also, I really think Kaleb should have been playing down the stretch and not Buss, that was disappointing.

Agreed. No one made shots so Buzz packed it in tight on Rak. We should have a board film session and see where all of the missed post entry passes were because I certainly didn't see many.
Let's do it.

Regardless, Tech's big men were in foul trouble, outsized and outrebounded. It's on the guards basketball IQ and JB's coaching not to center possessions around our big men.

They DID try to get the ball inside. And VT got away with hacking and grabbing whenever the ball came into him the entire second half. I think it was Capel the announcer who said [paraphrasing] that Buzz Williams successfully turned the game into "hand to hand combat." True... except this is basketball. Rak got fouled repeatedly--several times badly--and we didn't get any of those whistles.

RF2044 said:
They DID try to get the ball inside. And VT got away with hacking and grabbing whenever the ball came into him the entire second half. I think it was Capel the announcer who said [paraphrasing] that Buzz Williams successfully turned the game into "hand to hand combat." True... except this is basketball. Rak got fouled repeatedly--several times badly--and we didn't get any of those whistles.
So tired of basketball. Refs don't want to blow the whistle all game and sweaty screaming turd has his team hack every trip because of it

So tired of basketball. Refs don't want to blow the whistle all game and sweaty screaming turd has his team hack every trip because of it

It is very frustrating. Especially when the holds / slaps / grabs are blatant, and go uncalled.

And I'm not interested in hearing "the team playing harder on D gets all the calls." That's BS -- a foul should be a foul. NCAA officiating is terrible.

Eagles20 said:
But when they reversed the ball late he was able to seal better and scored a bucket and got fouled on a dunk attempt. Moving it from side to side and get the defense moving was the way to get him the ball. The high/low was defended well with a defender fronting and a weak side defender ready to come over to defend the lob pass. Also,a direct pass from the wing wasn't going to happen either with the way he was defended. Thier were some ways to get him in good position to score, but the defense was strong.

Stop with your logic and actual knowledge of ball movement to create openings.

There were guys all over him and that was that (according to what I read here).

The ball moved far better in the first half to your point.

44cuse

Dear God you have to make those foul shots down the stretch. No excuse.
Foul shots are a big determiner and we've had a lot of teams that have struggled at the line. Coleman's miss on the front end of a one & one in 1987 led to Smart's winning shot. He had 19 rebounds that kept us in the game, but it came down to FT's. That's a single example but missing free shots puts decent teams at risk and makes games way too exciting for good teams. At this point we're a decent team and need those free ones more than in some years. Seems like with Gerry on the bench, his great FT karma would find a way to help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom